Britains JD 990 round baler

With harvest just around the corner I thought id have a go at weathering a baler. I chose Britains John Deere 990 round baler for the reason I had one and it was cheap.

Lets get started.

Once removed I was impressed the baler has a nice weight to it with a fair amount of metal in its construction. The pick up goes round and lifts but wont stay raised. The rear curtain is well modeled and lifts up to allow the plastic straw bale to be ejected. The two large plastic side panels lift to show moulded drive chains and sprockets.

A well made model well done Britains

WP_20160703_19_36_42_Pro.jpg

WP_20160703_19_36_52_Pro.jpg

WP_20160703_19_41_54_Pro.jpg

WP_20160703_19_41_59_Pro.jpg

The baler has detail under the side panels it is all green so first job is to paint the drive chains and sprockets to this i needed to remove the lower panels from around the wheels. The wheels simply pulled off.

WP_20160703_19_42_33_Pro.jpg

WP_20160703_20_25_13_Pro.jpg

2 hours ago, Fenside MF said:

was going to add in my last post those screwheads look unusual,my first thoughts are try fileing an old screwdriver to that shape

Waiting for a proper screwdriver but managed undo the two I needed by carefully gripping with a pair of pliers and turning.

• 3 weeks later...

I then gave the model a coat of matt varnish using my air brush and thinning the varnish with acrylic paint thinner building the coats up slowly. I use varnish to kill the shine on the baler and help add to the dusty look

Archived