Britains 9572 Massey Trailer

bigbear

Hi! I've just bought the above item in as new condition from ebay. It's in great nick, but I'd like to be able to confirm that it hasn't been refurbed at some time.

The body is red, with a silver tail flap. The tail flap has stuck to the red paint and pulled a bit off. Also, the red hydraulic ram underneath seems to be red paint over a plastic part. Are both of these to be expected? I've never seen another one of these to compare it to, but it looks OK when compared to other ebay photos. Would the tail flap have been assembled when the paint was still soft, or does this happen over time, like the tractor wheel rot? The tail flap lifts out if you rotate it completely upwards. Is this right too, please?

It's in a rainbow box with a window.

Can anybody fill me in with details of this, please?

Thanks!

I seem to remember that the tailgate was stuck to the paint when it was new.The hydraulic ram is red plastic & when the tailgate is up it slides out easily.Sounds as if you've got a new one that's never had the tailgate opened.

the tip system  on all of mine are metal, even the early ones, theres no plastic in the models at all bar wheels ,so its not original, in terms of that part, the arm to the sides silver metal and the ram effect part  should be red painted metal finish . mine are all ok opening on the tailgate, which agains metal in silver paint finish . 

The hydraulic ram is a one piece diecast casting and does not telescope in/out. Moving the lever to side of trailer causes the ram to move, as one piece, and trailer bed to lift/lower. As Shaun stated no plastic other than wheels/tyres. I used one of these to repair a green trailer as lift was broken.

Pictures please John, we may be wrong!

i wonder if you have a white metal replacement one, i have seen some on ebay in the past, thats soft enough to feel like plastic, had a look at all of mi e yesterday while moving some bits and  none are plastic that i can tell, all feel like diecast metal to me 

I have 2 MF 200 tippers, 3 Claas tippers & 1 early blue high sided tipper in the collection which all share the same body ,tipping mechanisms etc  & none of them have a plastic ram.  As Sean says ...the only plastic to be found in all of them are the wheel rims ...ohh and the high sided extensions on the Claas & early blue one. 

Here are some pics of the trailer in question. I've noticed that there is a tiny ding in the bottom of the ram and the bare metal is the 'right' colour! My original thought that it is plastic was wrong... The bit of paint stickage by the tailgate is slightly enhanced, as I couldn't get it in focus. Hope this helps to come up with a definitive answer. Ill admit that 'm happier now that I've looked more closely at it. There are a few bare bits of metal where matal meets metal too, whic his in line with what I expect from Britains toys generally.

DSC03378.JPG

DSC03379.JPG

DSC03380.JPG

DSC03381.JPG

DSC03382.JPG

DSC03383.JPG

Its a neat looking trailer John .. but there seems to be hints of red spots of paint on the black under frame & on the tyres   ..So it may have been resprayed /painted. But still and all it looks a clean tidy example. ;)

38 minutes ago, bigbear said:

Those are loose spots of red, which have chipped off of the underside of the tipping body. They come of with a light brush. I'm pretty convinced that it IS OK now!

Very good. As long as your happy with it .. That all that counts . 

Archived