Diorama Totorals and Tips.

Hi guys iv started this topic for for those of you out there who are keen to do your own dioramas but arnt sure on how to go about it. 

I should say at this point I'm not clameing to be a professional. Nor am I saying my way is the best way to do it. But it works for me. If any one has a diffrennt aproch to something I do on this topic. Then please feel free to chip in and share. Iv been doing model farm dioramas for the last 3 years, before this Iv spent the best part of ten years doing model railways. If anything the one thing that I have noticed comeing from the model railway world is that the farm dioramas are so far behind the model railways displays. Getting flock and other diorama exsessorsys to look right in 1.32 scale dioramas is hard but not impossible, with the likes of hollylovestoys and brushwood toys are all ways surching for new stuff to improve your dioramas and bring them close to what the model railway world is doing. But I find sometimes if u want yours to stand out you have to dig and find things else where.

So hopefully this tips and totorals that I'm gunna do,  and the tips the other modelers bring to the topic will help peaple on here out.

So for a start this weekend I set to and started a small diorama on a peace of 15mm chip bord. It's nothing fancy infact it had a few cuts on the suffice but nothing to worry about. It's about 2ft by 2ft in size.

So with that I got a peace of 2 inch ploystiren, cut it into a triangle and cut a slop on it. Iv desided to do a small hill I'm the conner of the diorama with a feild at the bottom. Next your gunna need to glue it down, iv used pva only because I know it won't melt the ploystiren. Some glues will melt it dew to a chemical reaction so please bare this in mind.

Once the pva is dry I plasterd the slope of my hill. The pva can take a while I left it over night before I start to plaster. With the plaster iv used some homebase ready mix stuff it's quick and easyer if ur not to gd a mixing your own. (Witch I'm not) to be fair it's good stuff it's not too runny, makeing it easy to apply. I do this because the rough edge you have left on the polyesterin looks messy and isn't easy to work with, you can smoove it out and get a slope your happy with again this may take over night to dry properly.

The next stage iv bought some cork floor tiles and with a Stanley knife iv cut a strip to run in front of the hill it's about 50mm wide. this will become more apart why latter on. Again with pva iv glued it down and left it over night. Witch is where I'm up to atm I started this Friday evening and Finnish today I exspect the plaster would have set if I had started it erlyer on in the day. But theses dioramas take time and patience and a lot of patience at times. Let us know what you think and I'll update when iv done a bit more.

20160806_153003.jpg

20160806_153013.jpg

20160806_153226.jpg

20160807_162526.jpg

20160807_190820.jpg

20160807_191253.jpg

15 hours ago, CraigP145 said:

If anything the one thing that I have noticed comeing from the model railway world is that the farm dioramas are so far behind the model railways displays.            

Preach it! Very true indeed, luckly the railway modelers love to write and blog about what they're up to and often go into great detail about their techniques meaning if as you said, you do some digging, theres a wealth of info, tips and tricks out they're. I look forward to seeing what you put in this topic

4 hours ago, Stabliofarmer said:

Preach it! Very true indeed, luckly the railway modelers love to write and blog about what they're up to and often go into great detail about their techniques meaning if as you said, you do some digging, theres a wealth of info, tips and tricks out they're. I look forward to seeing what you put in this topic

Thanks bud. However I didn't realise the railway guys blog what they get up to. Where do you go to read them? 

plenty of forums arround for rail stuff, also do a search on youtube, thats where i tend to look, theres one guy i tend to watch whos done a whole run of them from concrete effect right through to trees and stuff, may be smaller but the same effects apply to our scale . will try and find him and post a link to his youtube channel 

try the following on youtube channels, just type the names and it will show their own channels for you 

the terrain tutor 

mostly warcraft stuff, but very good tips and vids there 

everadjunction

the guy i tend to watch ,all train stuff,and a boring voice, but very usefull tips on everything from concrete effect to building trees, 

Yeah great idea and great to be able to share your experiences and help others to create their own diorama. 

It all just takes time and experience I've found, your always on the look out for something you can use for something else. 

Forums like this are a great help and a massive bundle of useful information. 

So carrying on from where i left off. The next stage is to pain an under coat to the turain some peaple use black or brown to do this. I personally us brown as if some scatter doesn't cover all the ground and the brown shows though it will A look like Earth and B it looks better than white. This could take 2 coats to be done properly but it all depends on the paint you use.

20160807_205226.jpg

20160810_211331.jpg

• 4 months later...

Archived