MF weeks 6 tonne trailer

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So after a few comments and discussions I've accepted that my initial design was using too thick a material. I was initially concerned that lighter duty plastic would be too flexible. But have been reassured that the strength will come as bracing is added. So original one has been abandoned and I've started again..... watch this space. 

IMG_1352.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/08/2017 at 10:10 AM, Tractorman810 said:

Looking good so far, way better in the thinner plasti card to , as mentioned the ribs will strenghten it up no problem

Thanks tractorman it's quite surprising how strong they do become. Glad I abandoned the first build, cutting was a right pig! 

Started with the ribs now. What a slow process!! I'm only tackling a fairly simple square trailer, much respect to many others on here !

IMG_1456.JPG

IMG_1454.JPG

25 minutes ago, Tractorman810 said:

where are them wheels from mate,they look very tidy for trailer wheels

They are from dads toys I bought their last ones, they suit it well. There are not that many good trailer type wheels and tyres available. Or at least that I could find!

On 8/20/2017 at 11:02 AM, Tractorman810 said:

Dam :) oh well i have a few pairs of uh vantos left and mini toys or pma also do resin  copies of them now , so will make do with them 

I might have some wheels that might be of some use to you

as requested alastair 

went 6.5 ton single axel, although avaiable in a twin axel to, think it was a mf23/4 in old sizes , silage top could be all steel or mesh,side load ,as mine, or fromt load,i may yet change the wheels, as this must be 8years ild and decent trailer wheels were hard to come by then

IMG_0842.JPG

IMG_0843.JPG

IMG_0844.JPG

IMG_0845.JPG

IMG_0846.JPG

IMG_0847.JPG

IMG_0848.JPG

IMG_0849.JPG

Thank you very much for doing that Sean interesting to see what you've done with the silage trailer conversion. I think I might try to make a removable set for mine, was originally just going to build a different trailer. Just depends if I can make my rear doors removable but still looking right. Thanks again 

the sides should have enough play in them to pop it out ok, if you look theres two tiny eyelets the pins sit in, each pins cut to 1/2 mm past the width of the eyes, so a carefull tweek outwards of the sides allows it to come out no hassel, i also have a weeks coloured  200 dropside type  with silage tops, all the sides drop of that one,plus silage tops as well ,just never got round to doing the decals for it, shes built to a 5 ton dimension wise 

19 minutes ago, Tractorman810 said:

the sides should have enough play in them to pop it out ok, if you look theres two tiny eyelets the pins sit in, each pins cut to 1/2 mm past the width of the eyes, so a carefull tweek outwards of the sides allows it to come out no hassel, i also have a weeks coloured  200 dropside type  with silage tops, all the sides drop of that one,plus silage tops as well ,just never got round to doing the decals for it, shes built to a 5 ton dimension wise 

Ah yes I see, good idea with the little eyelets, might try and find some 

33 minutes ago, alf aphid said:

Ah yes I see, good idea with the little eyelets, might try and find some 

mine are from the model ship building area in the local model shop ,some very handy bits in there,pulleys and alikes along with toplink/ turnbuckle fittings in brass,prob only 2-3mm opeing,but perfect,i also use the tiny brass pin nails for the hinges etc i make as they are thin,and have a nice domed top to them

4 minutes ago, Tractorman810 said:

mine are from the model ship building area in the local model shop ,some very handy bits in there,pulleys and alikes along with toplink/ turnbuckle fittings in brass,prob only 2-3mm opeing,but perfect,i also use the tiny brass pin nails for the hinges etc i make as they are thin,and have a nice domed top to them

I need to get to a good old fashioned model shop to see things in the flesh, eBay is ok but sometimes difficult to Guage sizes etc

Archived