MF weeks 6 tonne trailer

i have used these before,all be it a different maker

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Model-Boat-Fittings-Caldercraft-83505-Brass-Etched-Eyelet-0-3mm-250-/322509891329?epid=848301978&hash=item4b17166701:g:4-4AAOSwIaFZEMnu

but mainly i buy these of the shelf locally ,same people as they have a shop down here , the mm is total length, i just cut down to what i need, pins use a 1mm drill for any hole so nice and fine for say cab hinges 

http://www.anticsonline.co.uk/1368_1_1241217.html

eyelets

http://www.anticsonline.co.uk/1368_1_1241212.html

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Tractorman810 said:

i have used these before,all be it a different maker

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Model-Boat-Fittings-Caldercraft-83505-Brass-Etched-Eyelet-0-3mm-250-/322509891329?epid=848301978&hash=item4b17166701:g:4-4AAOSwIaFZEMnu

but mainly i buy these of the shelf locally ,same people as they have a shop down here , the mm is total length, i just cut down to what i need, pins use a 1mm drill for any hole so nice and fine for say cab hinges 

http://www.anticsonline.co.uk/1368_1_1241217.html

eyelets

http://www.anticsonline.co.uk/1368_1_1241212.html

Lovely job Sean thank you will try that method I think.

Tailgates now functional. Tried to keep hinges discreet, but suspect will be too weak and I may have to beef up a bit. 

IMG_1555.JPG

IMG_1556.JPGNow need to sort tipping rams then we are starting to get there. Plan do some removable silage sides like Sean's 

4 minutes ago, Tractorman810 said:

looking good, thats pretty much the same way i did mine and its stood the test of time no worries ,omce painted it also seals them in anyway 

Thanks Sean, yes I thought that, it's not like I'm going to play with it so should be ok 

• 4 weeks later...

Well the youngsters gave in and went to sleep tonight so stole a few quiet hours in the kitchen!! Not that I'm trying to avoid seeing to the tip rams, I'm short of materials to complete, honest! 

Anyway I have moved the tipping points so that I can get a realistic tip angle, not that they are ever going to be used, it just annoyed me! 

Started on the removable silage sides, not sure they are quite right as serious lack of photos on the net of these trailers full stop, let alone with sides. 

IMG_1704.JPG

IMG_1705.JPG

IMG_1706.JPG

IMG_1707.JPG

26 minutes ago, JEP said:

Just caught up on this again , fantastic job you are doing there Alistair, will be another great addition to your collection of classics. Keep up the good work :)

Thank you John! Yes getting there very slowly, it's a steady process for me still, largely pretty pleased so far, still a fair way to go though!! 

Cheers Alastair 

2 hours ago, Tractorman810 said:

Only silage door i could find pics of proper mf wise was the "tight on "one as per my build alf , and a few homemade looking ones to

Thanks Sean I've looked high and low but can't find any. I'm fairly sure they are a predominantly mesh affair. Have a pal who deals brochures, he's going to have a look!  

• 6 months later...

Trying to get back into this project, could really do with a silage back door view, I’ve made the doors up but could do with knowing what the opening system is. Looking at some brochures it looks like they just swing from the top as there are no up and over mechanisms visible. However when I used one once over twenty years ago I’m sure it was all automatic?  Maybe there were two versions any help much appreciated if not I’m going with poetic license!! 

Im fairly sure there is one off a roundabout near barony college! Remember seeing it as driving past. Need to get another trip up there ! 

image.png

image.png

did mine as a “tight- on “ version, a canvis sheet that just folds up from the bottom as a arm/roll lifts on tipping.  most of the smaller ones i found pics of seemed to have this fitted, but as you say finding  pics of the rear isnt easy in fact finding any 200 trailers in silage format was hard

39 minutes ago, Tractorman810 said:

did mine as a “tight- on “ version, a canvis sheet that just folds up from the bottom as a arm/roll lifts on tipping.  most of the smaller ones i found pics of seemed to have this fitted, but as you say finding  pics of the rear isnt easy in fact finding any 200 trailers in silage format was hard

Thanks Sean, yes it def wasn’t the same as yours, had solid rear mesh door, I may take the easy route and done a top hinge! Unless someone can come up trumps here, i’ve looked pretty hard on the web  

Ha just watched that vid, steady old tip!! 

got a 700 brochure here for my build,doesn't have the arms but door is top hung  with one or two latches on the body to stop it opening when trailer isn't tipped.will upload pics for you . some how when you tip the load the weight againest the door and tip angle lets the door free of the latches so kind of automatic in that you dont have to exit the cab unlike a grain trailer latch.

You could try this Alistair, it's how Andy does his auto unlatch on his 16th scale Weeks plus 40's but reckon it be the same system across the range of trailers with solid or mesh rear doors rather than the Tite-on versions.... sorry about the photo quality but it might give you a basic idea..... as the trailer tips it pulls the latch and when it drops the latch is counter weighted to drop when the tailgate slams closed.

IMG_3795.thumb.JPG.f511e2e668e2b9c59004fe19073b3b7c.JPGIMG_3796.thumb.JPG.12dc44cf19e2f14ab9865708dc6adf0e.JPGIMG_3797.thumb.JPG.64a7754e9f4e6194aa9903cf51aa7a24.JPGIMG_3798.thumb.JPG.528016f8897790df22bd66180b4bdfe2.JPG

13 hours ago, Fenside MF said:

got a 700 brochure here for my build,doesn't have the arms but door is top hung  with one or two latches on the body to stop it opening when trailer isn't tipped.will upload pics for you . some how when you tip the load the weight againest the door and tip angle lets the door free of the latches so kind of automatic in that you dont have to exit the cab unlike a grain trailer latch.

Maybe that’s what it had then? The 700 series I think are the marston ones so not necessarily the same, however in the absence of any other knowledge I think this is what I’m opting for!   Many thanks for your input. 

4 hours ago, Valley Axe Man said:

You could try this Alistair, it's how Andy does his auto unlatch on his 16th scale Weeks plus 40's but reckon it be the same system across the range of trailers with solid or mesh rear doors rather than the Tite-on versions.... sorry about the photo quality but it might give you a basic idea..... as the trailer tips it pulls the latch and when it drops the latch is counter weighted to drop when the tailgate slams closed.

IMG_3795.thumb.JPG.f511e2e668e2b9c59004fe19073b3b7c.JPGIMG_3796.thumb.JPG.12dc44cf19e2f14ab9865708dc6adf0e.JPGIMG_3797.thumb.JPG.64a7754e9f4e6194aa9903cf51aa7a24.JPGIMG_3798.thumb.JPG.528016f8897790df22bd66180b4bdfe2.JPG

Ah thank you, so weeks had that set up too, right top swinger it is!! 

Just to manage expectation, Andy is infinitely more skilled than I! I will be lucky if it hinges let alone has a release mechanism ! 

Thanks for all your assistance’s 

Archived