2 hours ago, alf aphid said:

Looks brilliant. 

What thickness of plasticard do you use ? What do you use to cut it, looks really neat 

Thanks, I use various gauges of card depending on what the application is, mainly 0.50mm for most parts. Easy to cut and shape and still strong enough for big flat surfaces. I just cut with a steel ruler and scalpel blade, nothing fancy! I pay particular attention to straightness as things can get badly out of shape as the model progresses.

1 hour ago, tabmodels said:

Thanks, I use various gauges of card depending on what the application is, mainly 0.50mm for most parts. Easy to cut and shape and still strong enough for big flat surfaces. I just cut with a steel ruler and scalpel blade, nothing fancy! I pay particular attention to straightness as things can get badly out of shape as the model progresses.

Ok thank you. It's all I had used in the past but wondered if the professionals had a better way. As with most things it just comes down to practise I guess. 

1 hour ago, alf aphid said:

Ok thank you. It's all I had used in the past but wondered if the professionals had a better way. As with most things it just comes down to practise I guess. 

It's a great medium to work with, I took to plasticard very quickly as I used to do a lot of paper and card modelling and it was a similar discipline. The only other way to get perfect straight parts and save lots of time would be to laser cut them from the sheet, box section and other pieces would still need to be hand cut though.

• 5 weeks later...

Wow, yet again you have produced a stunning model, amazing work.  How did you go about planning this one? Was it from photos or did you have the real mower to measure up? I know BOR on the forum here  liked to go and look at the machine he was recreating and take lots of measurements and photos. 

20 hours ago, mb86 said:

Wow, yet again you have produced a stunning model, amazing work.  How did you go about planning this one? Was it from photos or did you have the real mower to measure up? I know BOR on the forum here  liked to go and look at the machine he was recreating and take lots of measurements and photos. 

Thanks Martin, I don't even know if it is correct scale-wise, basically worked from photos from the interweb. The Britains mower I dismantled to get some of the parts gave me a fair idea about dimensions and size. Yes BOR has the right approach by seeing the real thing, I did not have access to a real 1360 but spent quite a lot of time familiarising myself with the machine before lifting a knife :)

Archived