Jump to content

Ford TW30 & Hydrocut Giraffe Hedgecutter / tabmodels


Recommended Posts

This is a commissioned model of an actual tractor and hedgecutter. The real TW30 lost it's transfer case and driveshaft as a result of free-wheeling down a road, and was converted to 2wd but still retained the 4wd front axle. This was an opportunity to fit a Hydrocut Giraffe hedgecutter since the transfer case no longer fouled the fitting beneath the tractor. The outfit was used for heavy hedge work despite not being fully completed, so this model will be finished as the real outfit was intended to be. Starting out with a Britains TW30, I binned the front axle in favour of a scratch built replacement. Driveshaft removed and weights chopped from skid unit. Front wheel centres scratch built with appropriate hubs and ten stud dish.

DSC_0445.thumb.JPG.59dbebfc3687d4433a2e65bc26893855.JPGDSC_0446.thumb.JPG.7ef1c75a59e41c1569c6e7626aadca8d.JPGDSC_0444.thumb.JPG.bd9ed9cd9da22309acc7ff520a44b51e.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎25‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 6:49 PM, alf aphid said:

Superb once again, you are into hedgecutters!! 

Thanks! Yes very much so, our family contracting business specialised in hedge cutting, I've seen some weird and wonderful designs over the years!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, justy 46 said:

That was a hell of a lot if power to put on a hedge cutter back then . Is it retired ?? Or still in use ? 

It was fitted to the TW30 about 15 years ago, the hedge cutter has a serious reach and with the heavy flail head attached it made things very unstable, it needed to be fitted to a big heavy tractor. It is still in use, it can saw branches where no other hedge cutter can even get close! The arm can swing over to work on the opposite side and if it was mounted to a smaller tractor, the flail can be placed across the front wheels to cut grass within the width of the tractor. Extremely versatile machine and amazing design.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, tabmodels said:

It was fitted to the TW30 about 15 years ago, the hedge cutter has a serious reach and with the heavy flail head attached it made things very unstable, it needed to be fitted to a big heavy tractor. It is still in use, it can saw branches where no other hedge cutter can even get close! The arm can swing over to work on the opposite side and if it was mounted to a smaller tractor, the flail can be placed across the front wheels to cut grass within the width of the tractor. Extremely versatile machine and amazing design.   

Very good , It is a fair monster . Looking forward to seeing the model when done. Keep up the good work Ian.;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, mb86 said:

Great work yet again Ian. Love the extra detailed axle and back end. The real machine is a fair tool, what is the reach on the cutter?

Thanks Martin, I've never measured the reach but it's close on 30ft from the ground, when fully up it's hard to actually see what you're doing!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, MadMark said:

A monster hedge cutter, nice you know how to keep people interested with you model making skills. keep up the good work mate

Cheers Mark, I like to build things I've never seen modelled before, keeps things interesting for me too :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

Brilliant work , looking very good,  although I would be tempted to put a fresh set of the original TW30 decals on it as opposed to those crude black and white ones on the real machine.  After all I suspect the black and white decals were put in place only because the originals had faded out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, bluegreen said:

Brilliant work , looking very good,  although I would be tempted to put a fresh set of the original TW30 decals on it as opposed to those crude black and white ones on the real machine.  After all I suspect the black and white decals were put in place only because the originals had faded out.

Thank you, Yes I will be re-drawing the original decal again. The original decal on the real machine was in bad shape and it wasn't in my budget at the time to fork out silly money for a new one! It probably could have been achieved with layers of vinyl, but I went black with white lettering and there was an orange and red stripe above that like the gen 3 decals. It was and attempt to bring some colour to the tractor and bring it up to date on a budget (the vinyl lettering cost £20 and Ford were looking £130 for the decals!) but I would definitely go with the original white today.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, bluegreen said:

Brilliant work , looking very good,  although I would be tempted to put a fresh set of the original TW30 decals on it as opposed to those crude black and white ones on the real machine.  After all I suspect the black and white decals were put in place only because the originals had faded out.

I did have even bigger plans to finish the hedge cutting machinery in its own livery, the tractors were going to have red skid units, black cab and bonnet, either yellow or gold wheels and rooftop, and the hedge cutters were to be finished in red to match the skid units. Advertisement logo and lettering on the tractors, and the Girraffe would be renamed the Hydrocut Scorpion for obvious reasons! :laugh: Don't know how I would have got around the blue cab interior though! I'd like to build a model of it in this livery just to see how it might have turned out :)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, tabmodels said:

I did have even bigger plans to finish the hedge cutting machinery in its own livery, the tractors were going to have red skid units, black cab and bonnet, either yellow or gold wheels and rooftop, and the hedge cutters were to be finished in red to match the skid units. Advertisement logo and lettering on the tractors, and the Girraffe would be renamed the Hydrocut Scorpion for obvious reasons! :laugh: Don't know how I would have got around the blue cab interior though! I'd like to build a model of it in this livery just to see how it might have turned out :)

 

OMFG! :of:'(:'(:'(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

Finally getting back to this build for a short while, I've decided to have a fully working arm as this is proving to be a very tricky build and I may not make another one :wacko: Lots of odd shapes and angles in the arm and I haven't even got to the head yet!

DSC_0961.thumb.JPG.d08e65dd75dc93f14a1dcd5f10e9cfda.JPGDSC_0960.thumb.JPG.c1fcbd218b0f13a74b46f9c992e615b8.JPGDSC_0962.thumb.JPG.f1aa7efc1208f5c057f94bd0c008888d.JPGDSC_0963.thumb.JPG.ad5d40ae973b81649ea9b98fb4a96e34.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • tabmodels changed the title to Ford TW30 & Hydrocut Giraffe Hedgecutter / tabmodels

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.