Britains John Deere 4040S

latest minor modification, taking the ertl 4440 (us spec) and turning into uk spec 4040S  

First question why the hell did ertl develop a new cab when they'd already made one for the 3050 range!!! Britains and ertl are still under the same banner aren't they??

Anyway wheels painted, front axle added, air intake removed, correct weights added along with lights, footsteps and better cab detail 

will do mirrors and get some decals sorted. 

IMG_0533.JPG

IMG_0534.JPG

IMG_0535.JPG

IMG_0536.JPG

IMG_0537.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Rear wheels look like a JD4020.

Reason for cab difference is because the model maker in each case (most likely totally different people) will make their own complete model from scratch based on the measurements taken from the real tractor they are given to work from.

On 14 April 2017 at 10:44 PM, SPN said:

Rear wheels look like a JD4020.

Reason for cab difference is because the model maker in each case (most likely totally different people) will make their own complete model from scratch based on the measurements taken from the real tractor they are given to work from.

Rear wheels from 4440

yes I accept that, but pretty daft given they already make the basic cab, albeit actually the britains one is better, strange company.

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, bluegreen said:

Very nice effort Alf,  but why did you respray the model ?  I would have thought that Ertl and Britains paint colours would be an identical match and therefore no need to repaint.

Fair question, firstly there is a horrible lump in the casting on the nose cone to represent the badge, scaled up I reckon the badge would be 5 inches thick! So this was filed off. Second I had to fill a hole for where the air cleaner was. Finally, this model is nowhere near as good as the Britains 40 and 50 series, the bonnet and roof are an unpainted, dyed plastic which actually nowhere near match the metal chassis, which as you say would be correct. 

Oh oh and I almost forgot I had to cut the American weights off and put euro spec ones on. So full re spray was only option 

1 hour ago, bluegreen said:

Eeekk!!!  Thanks Alf,  I thought the bonnet looked like it was made from metal:-

Yes it's amazing how paint changes the look! 

Pic below might give you an idea of the colour discrepancies. It really brings it down in the flesh. 

IMG_0870.JPG

19 hours ago, bluegreen said:

Yikes!  I see what you mean Alf.  Did you remove the the decals before spraying and was that easy?

No the decals wouldn't come off without damaging. Didn't really expect them to and wanted a different model anyway so not a prob. 

Archived