Hymac 270 Excavator Loader / tabmodels

Commissioned for a friend's upcoming 40th birthday, a model of his 1970 Hymac 270 digger. Based on a Britains Ford 5000 skid unit and rear wheels, front wheels salvaged from a Britains JCB Loadall. Everything else will be scratch built, work in progress!

DSC_0625.thumb.JPG.7566bf9536177286d5d6895d302b8423.JPGDSC_0624.thumb.JPG.dd2fce389760a2ee66af846a86b38cc1.JPGDSC_0622.thumb.JPG.da95fd171ed760b6b2864b8aec3d1003.JPGDSC_0623.thumb.JPG.5ea30a6bf85314f0f85f62923e0dc102.JPGDSC_0620.thumb.JPG.ad8742391c9daa47e3e0ff45a6b5558b.JPG

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks guys, I think this is going to be a static model with no movement on the arms and maybe mounted on a plinth, I also think the hardest part of this build is actually sourcing the paint. The wheels and buckets are red, but the digger itself is that distinctive Hymac day glow yellow/green and I can't find it in an aerosol can anywhere!

If anyone could help me with paint codes or suppliers, it would be greatly appreciated ;) 

4 minutes ago, Stabliofarmer said:

Looks superb already. I remember you saying in an earlier topic that its important to keep everything square and lined up. Do you have any particular techniques to cut everything so neat and square? Something I've always struggled with.

Thanks James, I basically use a steel ruler and knife and make sure everything is measured and marked correctly, being out by even half a millimetre will cause problems. Sometimes I will use a cutting mat with a grid on it and line the parts up to make sure they are square, then make the cut using the grid. That's only half the battle though, when it comes to putting the parts together, things can still get out of shape so I would constantly check the straightness and symmetry of the model during the build. Flat panels can distort slightly when assembling with plastic weld much like welding steel together, things can warp, so I would reinforce these parts sometimes. And don't forget to file those burred edges after cutting! ;)

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎25‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 10:08 PM, MadMark said:

MadMark, the buggers won't post to N.Ireland, don't see what the issue is, surely it is still the United Kingdom :rolleyes: my usual supplier has the paint, they had it listed as Himac and not Hymac :- paint ordered at last!

Pretty much all postal/courier company's won't take aerosols etc now due to bomb/ explosion risks , I find as long as you can get a paint code most good paint shops near by even Halfords will make it up , I luckily have a good one close to hand, for me the paint codes the hard bit to find 

I'm loving this, I used to use a 580C excavator so I have a soft spot for the marque. I see there are some 1/35 diecast models by a small scale hand made model maker that come out for sale now and again but carry a hefty price tag. Eagerly waiting to see how this turns out!

21 hours ago, MadMark said:

Some postage services wont even accept aerosol cans due to health and safety terms due to being a fire hazard Ian even when I post a model tractor at the post office they ask me if there batteries fitted as they wont accept it if there was.  Glad you've got some paint for it and looking forwards to seeing it finished.

11 hours ago, Tractorman810 said:

Pretty much all postal/courier company's won't take aerosols etc now due to bomb/ explosion risks , I find as long as you can get a paint code most good paint shops near by even Halfords will make it up , I luckily have a good one close to hand, for me the paint codes the hard bit to find 

Thanks guys, yeah it's a bit frustrating sometimes, the supplier I use is local to me too, thank goodness, or all my models would be white :laugh:

6 hours ago, Deere-est said:

I'm loving this, I used to use a 580C excavator so I have a soft spot for the marque. I see there are some 1/35 diecast models by a small scale hand made model maker that come out for sale now and again but carry a hefty price tag. Eagerly waiting to see how this turns out!

Cheers Tris, I want to see how it turns out too, this is my first serious digger build ;D

Here's a few pics of the actual Hymac I'm modelling, I planned to take scaled front, rear and profile pics of the digger in an open space to get the dimensions right. Unfortunately she popped a front tyre when we tried to move her, so I could only take pics in the yard at close quarters! A bit of a problem as there are very few pics of the 270 on the interweb :rolleyes:

DSC_0582.thumb.JPG.2f350fd84339c1c0fba5a296076fed8a.JPGDSC_0585.thumb.JPG.5345f05a1cad19991252c177c95dd3b9.JPGDSC_0569.thumb.JPG.be6bb3b2cbad4f8cb7efd63eeae425f2.JPG

Archived