Bluegreens classic John Deere fleet

I was so impressed with the Britains JD 3000 series I thought I would buy a couple and make a few subtle changes..............actually it ended up being four!

Firstly I bought a 3050 2wd and 3350 4wd........................The motivation for the 3050 was a local farm back in 1987 who had two of the first 50 series on a late D reg I remember.   He went for 2wd versions of the 3050 and I remember watching them carting silage with a pair of MF200 silage trailers from another new Deere, a 4350 with a JD3765 trailed forager........happy days!

I decided the rear tyres were a bit to tall for a 3050 so I discovered that the tyres from a TW15  were ideal, not as tall but a mm or two wider which just fit on the Deeres rims.    Perfect fit.

Some yellow painted wheels and a brown rusty manifold and removal of the front weight complete the makeover.............ohh and a nice wing mirror mounted beacon too replace the crude britains version.

The 3640 required a bit more effort as I felt the tyres needed to be a bit wider, so I cut up some rims from a donor 3000 model and glued on the inside of the rims to keep the tyre tracking width narrow but chunky which is how the machine I used to see back in 1986 looked.   The tyres were donored from a Britains TW35 this time which are perfect  20.8 R38s I suspect.

You could always tell a 3640 coming down the road because of the black decal band above the Deere badge which still looks cool:)

P1050982.JPG

P1060014.JPG

P1060012.JPG

I will have a job lot of number plates too order from Henry for this lot plus a few other things.   

Back in 1991 I did a summer of bale carting from farm to stud farms.  The best bit of the job was driving a 5 year old JD3140 with a big trailer which had been cranked up from 100 to 120 hp.   Having driven a ford 7610(too short) and an MF699(awful between the knees gearchange!!) on beet carting the previous autumn I soon realised why the JD were so revered.  It was really solid and well balanced driving down the road and pulled well up some really steep hills and a good easy gear change too.   Part of the reason for its solid feel was the optional heavy cast rear wheels it was fitted with, which coincidentally appear in 1 32 form on the new ERTL 4440 model.

You guessed it, heres my 1991 summer tractor!    Number plate, beacon and silver wheelnuts too follow.  I wont bother with a front weight as the machine I used didn't have one.

The front tyres were switched from the TW15 which got its rears put on the 3050.  They are slightly wider by 1mm I would say.

Now what shall I make from the 4440 parts left over??

P1060031.JPG

P1060029.JPG

Great classic fleet phil even though they are green. :P Coincidentally I was in a 3140 yesterday, I sold the old JD 550 baler that has been in the back of our shed for years as a spare to a good friend of mine. As it is his first baler I spent most of yesterday showing him how to use it and keeping him right. I have baled 10s of thousands of bales with that old girl and I hope it does him as well as it did me. 

image.jpg

26 minutes ago, bluegreen said:

That 3140 needs a good clean Martin:P..........................Thanks for the comments gents,  Ive got a few more Deeres ready for makeovers or donoring duties!

You should have seen inside! :o

• 1 month later...

Just finished a modest convo on my second JD 7810.  I replaced the original tyres 710/ 70 R38 rears  replicas with ones from the UH CASE Puma 240 which are based on 650/ 75 R38s  and are effectively 1 or 2mm less in diameter and 3mm narrower.   They look just right:)............................I'm going to put the 7810 with the widest tyres on the drill very shortly which it will be ideal for along with other top work jobs,  whereas the other tractor with narrower running gear  is now suited to a wider range of tasks.

P1060358.JPG

1 hour ago, bluegreen said:

I'm not even sure Schuco were even looking to do a second batch of 7810s 18 months ago,  just look at the front view picture and the headlights.   They have changed the design on the second issue models from the originals!  They are a quick fix imo.

Wondered why it was different looking

Archived