JOHN DEERE 4955 mk1

I ve been meaning to follow up my previous 4755 convo with a John Deere 4955 for a while now, and seeing as I'm going to do a revamped layout with my favourite classic tractors on it, I thought I better get a 4955 made up in time for autumn too pull the plough with.

First job was too strip it all apart and improve the wheels.  I wanted to go a bit wider than its existing tyres but not too much as this machine would be ploughing in the furrow.   So I selected a nice set of boots off a UH Valtra T  with the size and Trelleborg logo on them  650/ 65 R42s.  And then extended the rims out by 3mm on the inside using cut down old wheel sets.   Once these were glued on and painted yellow I had to remove the front fenders and then raise them a few MMs so they sit right with the bigger tyres.   See relevant pics below.

P1060230.JPG

P1060228.JPG

P1060227.JPG

I removed the exhaust and turned it around to face in the right direction, and re glued in situ.   Rear wheels and tyres fitted temporarily so that I can screw fix the rear hitch at plough resting height,  which is very necessary as those who have a schuco JD will know all about !! 

Next up is the cab and cutting the fender extensions off and sanding and painting..............the hardest part !!    I will tackle that on the weekend.

P1060237.JPG

More progress today..............Firstly I fixed the rear linkage in place with a screw.   This means it will hold the plough in a parked position instead of it falling over!!   Another hole above can be used too display the plough up in transport mode.

P1060238.JPG

Cut the rear fenders down, sanded as much as I dare and painted first coat of JD green onto her.    The Scaledown models paint is 98% perfect match for this model.   I would however add that the 4000 series Schuco Deeres are not the same colour green as the Schuco 7810s, or at least the three I have recently bought.  

P1060240.JPG

Archived