JOHN DEERE 4955 mk1

I ve been meaning to follow up my previous 4755 convo with a John Deere 4955 for a while now, and seeing as I'm going to do a revamped layout with my favourite classic tractors on it, I thought I better get a 4955 made up in time for autumn too pull the plough with.

First job was too strip it all apart and improve the wheels.  I wanted to go a bit wider than its existing tyres but not too much as this machine would be ploughing in the furrow.   So I selected a nice set of boots off a UH Valtra T  with the size and Trelleborg logo on them  650/ 65 R42s.  And then extended the rims out by 3mm on the inside using cut down old wheel sets.   Once these were glued on and painted yellow I had to remove the front fenders and then raise them a few MMs so they sit right with the bigger tyres.   See relevant pics below.

P1060230.JPG

P1060228.JPG

P1060227.JPG

I removed the exhaust and turned it around to face in the right direction, and re glued in situ.   Rear wheels and tyres fitted temporarily so that I can screw fix the rear hitch at plough resting height,  which is very necessary as those who have a schuco JD will know all about !! 

Next up is the cab and cutting the fender extensions off and sanding and painting..............the hardest part !!    I will tackle that on the weekend.

P1060237.JPG

Cut the rear fenders down, sanded as much as I dare and painted first coat of JD green onto her.    The Scaledown models paint is 98% perfect match for this model.   I would however add that the 4000 series Schuco Deeres are not the same colour green as the Schuco 7810s, or at least the three I have recently bought.  

P1060240.JPG

Archived