Britain's Volvo 2654

I came across a few conversions done of this model and simply had to get one myself as well! Actually bought two of ebay, one complete and one broken. I have got a load of different parts at hand for it now, as well as big plans - so I'm exited to see if it turns out the way I want it to :) I'm still waiting for some crucial parts though, so I haven't done too much work on it yet.

I have dismantled everything except the front axle, after some thinking I've decided to stick with the original one. I have resprayed the chassis from grey to black and just half an hour ago I began some testing with the bonnet. I was a bit unsure if it needed any primer firstly, but I went for it to see how it goes, afterwards I'll respray it with a slightly darker red color. Hopefully it turns out as good as I imagine, I'm not very experienced when it comes to scratchbuilding or convos - So my biggest fear is to mess up the paint!

2017-08-25_19_04_07.jpg

2017-09-05_18_51_34.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just put on a layer of the red color now, might need some more later on though. I thought it looked kind of matte, it might be caused by the primer I guess. Good thing the other one I ordered has a decent bonnet as well :)

Does anyone have any tips when it comes to painting, would it be better to just respray it directly after a decent wash without the primer? I would like a more glossy finish on it.

My advice would be give the item in question a good clean to remove any grease. Then apply your primer (colour of primer not so important with red top coat, but if spraying light colours like yellow then use white primer) 

once set you can apply top coat. You should do several light coats, resist the temptation to paint in first go!  

That way you should get a good quality finish. 

Things that could lead to Matt finish could be - quality of paint you are using, putting too much on at once, not mixed well enough, or trying to paint in damp environment. 

Problem with spraying plastics is if  you go wrong it's difficult to get stripped off to start again! 

3 hours ago, Janval said:

Just put on a layer of the red color now, might need some more later on though. I thought it looked kind of matte, it might be caused by the primer I guess. Good thing the other one I ordered has a decent bonnet as well :)

Does anyone have any tips when it comes to painting, would it be better to just respray it directly after a decent wash without the primer? I would like a more glossy finish on it.

That's a very nice example of a Britains Volvo Jan, looking forward to seeing how this turns out!

Painting is the most stressful part, especially if you only get one take to do it right. I've been using good quality machinery enamel available in 400ml spray cans and haven't had any trouble so far and it gives me a great high gloss finish every time. Just as alf aphid says, light coats until you build up the colour evenly. I spray the first coat on and then start the second about 5 mins afterwards,  just as the first coat becomes dry, it's a fast drying paint but can take up to 4 days to properly cure before handling. As alf says, you don't want things going wrong on plastic parts, so I would clean the parts with white spirits using a small artists brush before priming. Preparation is key!

11 hours ago, tabmodels said:

That's a very nice example of a Britains Volvo Jan, looking forward to seeing how this turns out!

Painting is the most stressful part, especially if you only get one take to do it right. I've been using good quality machinery enamel available in 400ml spray cans and haven't had any trouble so far and it gives me a great high gloss finish every time. Just as alf aphid says, light coats until you build up the colour evenly. I spray the first coat on and then start the second about 5 mins afterwards,  just as the first coat becomes dry, it's a fast drying paint but can take up to 4 days to properly cure before handling. As alf says, you don't want things going wrong on plastic parts, so I would clean the parts with white spirits using a small artists brush before priming. Preparation is key!

What brand of paint do you usually use Ian? 

On ‎06‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 8:08 PM, alf aphid said:

What brand of paint do you usually use Ian? 

I get mine from ebay, they do automotive paints in tins and spray cans and will mix any colour for you if you can provide them with a code. They recently started doing farm and plant machinery colours available in gloss, matt and heat resistant formulas, and I'm really pleased with the quality and finish. They are also about 70 miles from me so postage of aerosols isn't an issue. Here is a link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fordson-Empire-Blue-tractor-Agricultural-Enamel-Machinery-Gloss-Paint-/280793868243?var=&hash=item41609e67d3:m:mFRY6VhK1COJj25ZPCiiXAg

58 minutes ago, tabmodels said:

I get mine from ebay, they do automotive paints in tins and spray cans and will mix any colour for you if you can provide them with a code. They recently started doing farm and plant machinery colours available in gloss, matt and heat resistant formulas, and I'm really pleased with the quality and finish. They are also about 70 miles from me so postage of aerosols isn't an issue. Here is a link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fordson-Empire-Blue-tractor-Agricultural-Enamel-Machinery-Gloss-Paint-/280793868243?var=&hash=item41609e67d3:m:mFRY6VhK1COJj25ZPCiiXAg

Ah had seen those but avoided after my last eBay paint purchase, which was terrible! I will relook at now. Thanks Ian 

Got the paint sorted! Was going to post some progress photos tonight, but I had an unfortunate set back. I guess the paint had to have some more time to set, since it has had several layers put on. I was going to do the finishing touch by applying some clearcoat, but it reacted with the paint and pretty much destroyed several days progress. So now I have to make time to wet sand it and start over :) Oh well, one experience richer I guess!

I have however painted a layer of metallic black on the chassis to finish that up nicely. I've primed a new air filter and front weights (even though I managed to drop the top of the air filter outside - Not my day!!). Lastly, I have made some details on the cab, so all in all there is progress :)

I have attached a few photos of the hood so you can see how bad it got. And of the cab details I'm making.

received_1583019105053581.jpeg

received_1583002071721951.jpeg

received_1582078671814291.jpeg

21 minutes ago, mb86 said:

It isn't two pack paint you are using by any chance?

It's just regular "hobby paint", everything is from the same brand and made to be used together as well. I talked to a buddy of mine who's using the same stuff on his RC cars and he had never seen this happen before. The possible explanations I can come up with: Too thick a layer of clearcoat or the red paint hadn't hardened quite enough I guess. Either way it looked pretty good now - Except from the handprints that came when I nearly had a panic attack and had to see what was going on. It looked really grim at first there, it was clear that the clearcoat reacted with the red and kind of floated a bit as well.

So even though I still need to wet sand it, it was a weight of my shoulders really! But I think I will let it have some extra time to harden before I do it the next time, just to be safe.!

14 hours ago, Janval said:

It's just regular "hobby paint", everything is from the same brand and made to be used together as well. I talked to a buddy of mine who's using the same stuff on his RC cars and he had never seen this happen before. The possible explanations I can come up with: Too thick a layer of clearcoat or the red paint hadn't hardened quite enough I guess. Either way it looked pretty good now - Except from the handprints that came when I nearly had a panic attack and had to see what was going on. It looked really grim at first there, it was clear that the clearcoat reacted with the red and kind of floated a bit as well.

So even though I still need to wet sand it, it was a weight of my shoulders really! But I think I will let it have some extra time to harden before I do it the next time, just to be safe.!

I always use general automotive paints rather than hobby paints. I don't get any troubles with those 

Glad you got sorted Jan, I've never had this kind of trouble with paint and I don't use anything that requires a clear coat apart from metallic finishes. I try to use the same type of paint they use on the real life machines, I've tried other types of paints that just needed more and more work to get the finish I wanted and it really shouldn't have to be like that. I think it's about finding a comfort zone with paint so that every time you paint, you are confident you will get the same result every time.  I also mount my parts on a stick of styrene glued underneath the part so that I can hold it up and turn it around as I'm spraying. Once the paint has dried, just snap off the styrene and handle the part as normal. You are doing a great job so far, keep up the good work!

4 hours ago, tabmodels said:

Glad you got sorted Jan, I've never had this kind of trouble with paint and I don't use anything that requires a clear coat apart from metallic finishes. I try to use the same type of paint they use on the real life machines, I've tried other types of paints that just needed more and more work to get the finish I wanted and it really shouldn't have to be like that. I think it's about finding a comfort zone with paint so that every time you paint, you are confident you will get the same result every time.  I also mount my parts on a stick of styrene glued underneath the part so that I can hold it up and turn it around as I'm spraying. Once the paint has dried, just snap off the styrene and handle the part as normal. You are doing a great job so far, keep up the good work!

Yeah, I used a paint initially made for touch up on cars, which made it essentially a bit less suitable for the plastic - even though I primed it. It resulted in a very matte finish, it might have turned out fine if I did a layer of clear coat on top, but i decided to try the hobby paint which was more suitable for plastic. Then I got the glossy finish I was after, all in all I was happy with the result afterwards. The main reason for me to do the clear coat was to get the protective surface, but I have to admit that it gave a very nice and realistic finish to the paint! 

Tonight I have done some sanding and repainting, I will have a look at how it looks tomorrow evening. There may be some marks looking like dents, but if it's too much hassle I will just start over with my spare bonnet. It's my first time of re painting, so in a way it's good that I had this trouble so that I know what to do and not to do next time :) 

I've been using two methods when painting, either hanging it from a small hook or just placed on the small piece of wood seen on the picture. But the method you and Paul mention would be better I guess!

Thank you! I'm confident that I will get the results I want in the end, I have a clear vision of how it will look - so I'm excited to continue despite this little detour :) 

Good for you Jan, paint is always the dodgy part of the build and I'll be honest it still makes me nervous! Especially after putting so much time and effort into a scratch build only for it to be ruined at the paint stage. Even when I'm confident of my ability and technique, a simple thing like humidity in the air can really mess things up. All I can say is make sure the conditions in which you paint and your technique are always the same, then you can be sure that the outcome will be the same too. Even try spraying something else before painting your main project, I usually test spray on an old die-cast toy car first before I do my painting.

On ‎09‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 4:17 PM, Paul Palmer said:

like this Ian,i use this method when im spraying my bike kits,as you say, you can get at every bit of the model

yamaha yzr 500 1983 001.JPG

eddie lawson figure 182.JPG

That's exactly how I do it Paul, keeps my fingers and possible contamination away from the painted surface, and I can hold it up to the light and see the paint go on properly

1 hour ago, tabmodels said:

That's exactly how I do it Paul, keeps my fingers and possible contamination away from the painted surface, and I can hold it up to the light and see the paint go on properly

That's exactly as I should do it!! 

Preparation allways key, but impatience is always a challenge! 

A small update, haven't had much time to work on it but I have successfully fixed the paint! A bit hard to get a shot that does the paint justice in the light with my phone right now, but it looks brilliant, if I might say so myself :) 

59b8283563137_2017-09-1219_53_20.thumb.jpg.0408ed1c3f5229c5338e4a9496cc19ce.jpg 

The front weights are also done on one of the sides. I have also made some attachments for the turn signals on the front of the cabin, they're not precision cut or properly attached yet since I need to work out the lights and repaint everything separate firstly.

I will get out my DSLR to get better shots as get further into the build :)

2017-09-12 19.54.01.jpg

2017-09-12 19.54.28.jpg

So, at this moment I have received the rest of my parts. The bad news is, as I somewhat expected, the wheel sets I got are just plainly way too big. They came off some Wiking Fendt models. So I tried a pair of wheels from a UH Kirovets in stead, but still just a bit too big.

Has anyone ever tried changing the wheels on this particular model? 

Worst case scenario I'll have to use some Wiking front wheels, they sure are big enough :D

11 hours ago, Janval said:

So, at this moment I have received the rest of my parts. The bad news is, as I somewhat expected, the wheel sets I got are just plainly way too big. They came off some Wiking Fendt models. So I tried a pair of wheels from a UH Kirovets in stead, but still just a bit too big.

Has anyone ever tried changing the wheels on this particular model? 

Worst case scenario I'll have to use some Wiking front wheels, they sure are big enough :D

Uh renault or claas celtis has wide but not overly large diameter tyres on it

Archived