Home-built Silage Trailers / tabmodels

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎28‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 11:10 PM, alf aphid said:

Needless to say looking really nice. Are you going for as new look? 

Thanks Alf, yes the paint has been applied to both trailers just like new, just have to wait until the paint cures now before assembly and detailing

7 minutes ago, tabmodels said:

Thanks Alf, yes the paint has been applied to both trailers just like new, just have to wait until the paint cures now before assembly and detailing

Look forwards to seeing!! Must admit I've just had no time lately, mine are sitting part finished in the kitchen, only a matter of time before I get asked to tidy them up!!

Are your rams plasticard Ian? They certainly look like it. The rams are one of the topics I need to get back onto with mine. I'd planned on brass bug haven't quite fathomed how to mount to the trailer, as drilling into them will be extremely difficult. I didn't think plasticard would have the strength 

On ‎28‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 11:36 PM, alf aphid said:

Are your rams plasticard Ian? They certainly look like it. The rams are one of the topics I need to get back onto with mine. I'd planned on brass bug haven't quite fathomed how to mount to the trailer, as drilling into them will be extremely difficult. I didn't think plasticard would have the strength 

They are indeed Alf, they are strong enough for movement for posing purposes, as for carpet farming, they are not intended as toys. There's pros and cons to them, they are easily drilled and I usually pinch them at the sliding end to get the sliding resistance just right so that an arm or trailer body stays up. Cons are, they need painting in silver, which can scratch off, and silver doesn't quite hit the spot. Chrome plated plastic bar would be perfect.

9 hours ago, alf aphid said:

I have made a couple of brass rams alf, i soldered the eyes from mini brass turnbuckles into the ends of the tubes, I've used this company for them.  https://prime-miniatures.co.uk/catalog/turnbuckles-bottlescrews

On ‎28‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 11:10 PM, alf aphid said:

Needless to say looking really nice. Are you going for as new look? 

I've never actually seen these trailers in new condition, I think they were built in the late 60s. The blue trailer got a repaint in the 80s and that was when the grey panels were done. The red trailer was never repainted, so I've always known them to be a bit weathered and rusty. It's quite an insight by making them in new condition again in 1/32!

very nice indeed did you ponder trying magnetic pic up tools for the rams, thats what i use now, for 99 p each i only wasted 2 getting the cutting right and have made some nice 3&4 stage rams now for builds, as long as you key  the chrome on the outer sleve before paint it takes well to, i do t suspose you know who made them for you way back when?? be nice if you could add any decals or makers bandge to them 

11 hours ago, tabmodels said:

They are indeed Alf, they are strong enough for movement for posing purposes, as for carpet farming, they are not intended as toys. There's pros and cons to them, they are easily drilled and I usually pinch them at the sliding end to get the sliding resistance just right so that an arm or trailer body stays up. Cons are, they need painting in silver, which can scratch off, and silver doesn't quite hit the spot. Chrome plated plastic bar would be perfect.

Have you ever tried Alclad Ian,available in several shades and colours.http://alclad2.com/finishes/high-shine/

Regards

Joe.

On ‎29‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 11:01 AM, Tractorman810 said:

very nice indeed did you ponder trying magnetic pic up tools for the rams, thats what i use now, for 99 p each i only wasted 2 getting the cutting right and have made some nice 3&4 stage rams now for builds, as long as you key  the chrome on the outer sleve before paint it takes well to, i do t suspose you know who made them for you way back when?? be nice if you could add any decals or makers bandge to them 

Thanks Sean, yes I've seen rams made like that and even from telescopic car aerials, thanks for the tip on the magnetic tool, I would never have thought of that. I will undertake some experimentation soon! ^_^ My father bought the red trailer from a local contractor in 1973 I think. Not sure about the blue one, I'll have to ask him. They were both definitely home built, so no company names or logos on them. I think the only way to get a bigger trailer than what the manufacturers were putting out back then, was to just build your own, it was a common sight to see trailers made from truck chassis and axles back then.

On ‎29‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 11:02 AM, catkom3 said:

Have you ever tried Alclad Ian,available in several shades and colours.http://alclad2.com/finishes/high-shine/

Regards

Joe.

Ahh thanks Joe! I wonder would the extra coating add much to the diameter of the rod, some styrene tubing can be a tight fit for the rods. It would be a perfect finish though!

It only requires a very light coating Ian,might work pretty well useing styrene tubing,I have in the distant past made my own hydraulic rams useing brass and aluminium ,all explaned here,

https://www.farmtoysforum.com/forum/topic/20710-scratch-built-hydraulic-rams/#comment-520120

Plus if they are to loose,a very thin layer of clear nail varnish will tighten them up nicely,but,be very careful applying it,ha ha!.:D

Regards

Joe.

On ‎29‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 11:59 AM, catkom3 said:

It only requires a very light coating Ian,might work pretty well useing styrene tubing,I have in the distant past made my own hydraulic rams useing brass and aluminium ,all explaned here,

https://www.farmtoysforum.com/forum/topic/20710-scratch-built-hydraulic-rams/#comment-520120

Plus if they are to loose,a very thin layer of clear nail varnish will tighten them up nicely,but,be very careful applying it,ha ha!.:D

Regards

Joe.

Thanks Joe :D

5 hours ago, tabmodels said:

Thanks Sean, yes I've seen rams made like that and even from telescopic car aerials, thanks for the tip on the magnetic tool, I would never have thought of that. I will undertake some experimentation soon! ^_^ My father bought the red trailer from a local contractor in 1973 I think. Not sure about the blue one, I'll have to ask him. They were both definitely home built, so no company names or logos on them. I think the only way to get a bigger trailer than what the manufacturers were putting out back then, was to just build your own, it was a common sight to see trailers made from truck chassis and axles back then.

theres plenty of bale and grain trailers like that round this way, still going strong all be it a bit rusty :D .

i tend to use these ones , the smallest rod in the centres about 2/3 mm thick, flattens out easy enough with a file for drilling a pin hole, or i have fitted a plastirod eye before, they cut down nicely just rolling under a sharp knife to, with care you can cut down the copper fillers that give the grip, which over say a 3 stage can give you an extra 7-10 mm of tip, handy if the ram needs to be a total 3-4 cm long closed . 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bluespot-7327-Magnetic-2LBS-Pick-Up-Tool-Single-/232350088728?epid=648278416&hash=item361924fe18:g:heAAAOSwPh5ZKGNk

ps you can take the magnet out and make some nice magnetic duals with them, my duals and cage wheels attach that way 

On ‎29‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 4:35 PM, Tractorman810 said:

theres plenty of bale and grain trailers like that round this way, still going strong all be it a bit rusty :D .

i tend to use these ones , the smallest rod in the centres about 2/3 mm thick, flattens out easy enough with a file for drilling a pin hole, or i have fitted a plastirod eye before, they cut down nicely just rolling under a sharp knife to, with care you can cut down the copper fillers that give the grip, which over say a 3 stage can give you an extra 7-10 mm of tip, handy if the ram needs to be a total 3-4 cm long closed . 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bluespot-7327-Magnetic-2LBS-Pick-Up-Tool-Single-/232350088728?epid=648278416&hash=item361924fe18:g:heAAAOSwPh5ZKGNk

ps you can take the magnet out and make some nice magnetic duals with them, my duals and cage wheels attach that way 

That's great Sean thanks, I managed to work out the mounting points ok with the single stage, although it probably pushes a little too far back to the trailer hinge, would have preferred somewhere halfway along the body, not far away though, happy enough. Do you trim the rods and reconnect them so that each stage doesn't pull out of each ram? That's a great idea for duals!

Archived