I've decided to have a go at County's heavy-weight, the 1884. It will be converted from a Britains TW30 as I would prefer the slightly wider tyre that Britains provides with this model. Firstly, some brutal chopping and grinding to get basic dimensions! :D

10245479916_4d47658246_b.thumb.jpg.b2296fe67b482c34392795a2aaa5feb7.jpg

DSC_0057.thumb.JPG.55daa33e0f345dcec777dedeed6c0ca1.JPGDSC_0056.thumb.JPG.582a0abac05b99db1104b4f7f6164c09.JPGDSC_0058.thumb.JPG.02404c6f753841c5c97032a47b380e5d.JPG

Thanks James, I'm trying to set up a laser cutter at the moment to do this kind of cutting which should speed up the build process. Until then, I'm just drawing circles out with a compass and pencil on to styrene and then cutting by hand. I usually cut smaller holes with a punch, the hub centres are done like this for the 1884 as they step in slightly. A pre-painted blue piece of styrene will be glued behind the hole to make the hub with a neat edge.

On ‎08‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 8:11 PM, Stabliofarmer said:

Thanks for the reply Ian

Be careful with the laser, styrene isn't great to laser cut, it produces a chlorine gas that aswell as damaging cutter components isn't great for the body.

Thanks James, it's an enclosed unit with an extractor fan to take any gasses away and outside of the shed, I got it to cut mainly sheet styrene as it just takes too long measuring out and cutting each part over and over by hand. Do you have experience with laser cutters? I've had a play around with some professional cutters and was really impressed with what can be done on them. Never cut any styrene though. I bought a much smaller desktop type A4 sheet size machine.

Yes while at college I spent most of my Art classes cutting parts for models rather than doing the work I should be. That was with a HPC LS3020 cutter with extraction etc. I largely cut mountboard which has a burnt wood smell but was also cutting 1 and 2mm acrylic which stunk. It wasn't great near the machine but where the extractor exited was right next to the air intake for the staff room ventilation and it was horrendous in there. I never tried styrene just because if what I'd read online. Opinion does seem to vary, even down to whether styrene contains chlorine or not, but its a while since I looked about anything. 

But as a modelling tool a Laser Cutter is an absolute god send. Such neat cuts so quickly.

On ‎08‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 11:27 PM, Stabliofarmer said:

Yes while at college I spent most of my Art classes cutting parts for models rather than doing the work I should be. That was with a HPC LS3020 cutter with extraction etc. I largely cut mountboard which has a burnt wood smell but was also cutting 1 and 2mm acrylic which stunk. It wasn't great near the machine but where the extractor exited was right next to the air intake for the staff room ventilation and it was horrendous in there. I never tried styrene just because if what I'd read online. Opinion does seem to vary, even down to whether styrene contains chlorine or not, but its a while since I looked about anything. 

But as a modelling tool a Laser Cutter is an absolute god send. Such neat cuts so quickly.

Thanks James, I plan to set up away from the house in the shed but I will be extra careful about the fumes now that you have brought it to my attention!

County components grafted to the skid unit. I decided to build the County axle around the metal axle, a bit of a compromise but I needed the strength of the metal to support the model. Die-cast metal axle would've been perfect :(

DSC_0090.thumb.JPG.56f31ba42dc165f1f3af5b5d3a357d8a.JPGDSC_0091.thumb.JPG.b769cede1d059db1ea72fdedc9a77098.JPGDSC_0092.thumb.JPG.e520f1f9df13e6df5d1bf7a67b380aa6.JPG

10 minutes ago, mb86 said:

Fantastic yet again, the back end looks great, I love the detail on the link ends. 

I agree totally, it never ceases to amaze me how much detail you get into such a small scale. Truly amazing :)

On ‎21‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 6:44 PM, mb86 said:

Another stunner Ian, outstanding detail added. a bit of model nostalgia there too, being a britains based 1884, pleased you didn't paint it white though:D 

Or yellow! I didn't quite understand why Britains did that back then, was it a licensing issue with Ford? Back in the day when I couldn't get enough information on Countys, I was actually convinced that County's new livery was black and white! Then the internet came along :P

52 minutes ago, tabmodels said:

Or yellow! I didn't quite understand why Britains did that back then, was it a licensing issue with Ford? Back in the day when I couldn't get enough information on Countys, I was actually convinced that County's new livery was black and white! Then the internet came along :P

Haha. I think I've read on here it was something to do with the licensing. 

49 minutes ago, mb86 said:

Haha. I think I've read on here it was something to do with the licensing. 

Apparently someone in morkeshing thought they had enough blue tractors in their range.

I do remember seeing an 1184 and another County in the white colour scheme on backroads in Hertfordshire around 1990. Might it have been a water utility or service provider to a water utility?

7 minutes ago, SPN said:

Apparently someone in morkeshing thought they had enough blue tractors in their range.

I do remember seeing an 1184 and another County in the white colour scheme on backroads in Hertfordshire around 1990. Might it have been a water utility or service provider to a water utility?

Yes I read that it was to differentiate from the tw. Whether true or not though, who knows!

great job again Ian. How do you do it? What's next?

Archived