2nd release ford 5000

Paul Palmer

As a boy of about 8 or 10, I can remember spending hour upon hour in a 5000 with my Dad, stood uncomfortably in the front of the cab buckraking, leading potatoes, feeding sheep in the winter and numerous other jobs, tired, uncomfortable but loving every minute! What I also remember is wanting bigger wheels for the back of my Britains Ford as they seemed far too small compared to the real 5000. Not a very scientific answer I know Paul, but very happy memories none the less:)

I always thought the rear wheels of the original britains 5000s looked far too small on the later cabbed versions at least. Looks to me they carried the same sized rims and tyres over from the earlier fordson majors, changing to a larger and more realistic looking set up for the later 6600.

The original Britains 6x 5000 and 6Y 5000 had tyres that closely match the 11x36 size more commonly found on the 4000

The 11x38 tyres on the UH 6X5000 would have been the more popular size.

The 14x34 tyres on the latest Britains 5000 would have been the popular option for those wishing to upgrade to "oversize" tyres.

Id say the tyres on them have been modelled on modern crossply tyres when the originals would have been radials. Not sure if exact sizes of the 1000 series tyres but I'd have thought the overall size is correct but the rim should be smaller and the tyre wall deeper. 

The rear rims on the 1st realise Britains 5000s both 6x & 6y were much the same rims on the previous Britains Fordson Majors in terms of rim size & tyre size. Using them probably kept the cost down for Britains at the time . It was only when the Britains 6600 came along afterwards that they increased the tyre size ,but still used the same rim going back to the Britains SuperMajor. Them larger tyres also were used on the MF595,Deutz DXs & Fiats ,but the rim size never changed . 

13250984615_7d94dde816_b.jpg

Image result for britains fordson supermajor

Archived