International Harvester 74 series

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, catkom3 said:

Fantastic build as usual John,if you were to follow that with a 674,you'd be inundated with orders,and I'd be head of the Queue,:)

Regards

Joe

IH 674.jpg

Thanks Joe, a 674 is a possibility now as apart from the engine they are very similar.My father bought a restored one earlier this year, just as a bit of a play thing really, its the second one he's had, they are a tremendous little tractor, the 74 series really were ahead of the competition in their day! That's a beauty in the photo :)

Good job so far, I can appreciate the amount of time and work so far, o cut silage with a 475 on a TAARUP 53” single chop and then with a 674 on a JF FH1450 for the same farm. The 475 is actually still working on the same farm, it and the 674 were bought new in 1976, the 475s had about 5 clutches at this stage and the rear lift rods were prone to shearing the threads and slipping out   I remember a stronger replacement being made which improved it.  

Thanks Joe, a 674 is a possibility now as apart from the engine they are very similar.My father bought a restored one earlier this year, just as a bit of a play thing really, its the second one he's had, they are a tremendous little tractor, the 74 series really were ahead of the competition in their day! That's a beauty in the photo :)

Cheers John,my late father drove one back in the 70's,only tractor he ever rolled,he reckoned it was the roll cage made it a bit top heavy compared to his previous tractor,which I think was probably a Massey 135 with Duncan cab,and I've always hoped someone somewhere would produce one,so,if  you do make one,give me a shout,much appreciated,

Regards

Joe.

22 minutes ago, catkom3 said:

Cheers John,my late father drove one back in the 70's,only tractor he ever rolled,he reckoned it was the roll cage made it a bit top heavy compared to his previous tractor,which I think was probably a Massey 135 with Duncan cab,and I've always hoped someone somewhere would produce one,so,if  you do make one,give me a shout,much appreciated,

Regards

Joe.

Thanks Joe, will do!

20 minutes ago, Janval said:

Excellent job on this! What did you use to make the engine out of? Some sort of moulded styrene block? 

Thank you Janval, no I'm afraid it's made of nothing more exciting than sheets of plasticard cut to shape and layered up to get the right thickness!:)

33 minutes ago, B O R said:

Good job so far, I can appreciate the amount of time and work so far, o cut silage with a 475 on a TAARUP 53” single chop and then with a 674 on a JF FH1450 for the same farm. The 475 is actually still working on the same farm, it and the 674 were bought new in 1976, the 475s had about 5 clutches at this stage and the rear lift rods were prone to shearing the threads and slipping out   I remember a stronger replacement being made which improved it.  

Thank you Brian, yes it's been a bit of a black hole time wise but hopefully any future ones should be a bit easier! I do have a real soft spot for these old nashes, so no doubt another one or two may appear:)

1 hour ago, 844john said:

Thank you Janval, no I'm afraid it's made of nothing more exciting than sheets of plasticard cut to shape and layered up to get the right thickness!:)

Wow, I reckon a lot of work has gone into that! All of a sudden feeling very inspired to build a tractor of my own now :) Again, brilliant!

10 hours ago, Janval said:

Wow, I reckon a lot of work has gone into that! All of a sudden feeling very inspired to build a tractor of my own now :) Again, brilliant!

Thanks Janval, have a go, you never know what you can do unless you give it a try, I'm no model builder, I'm a farmer who likes tinkering with bits of metal and plastic :)! I've learned, and am learning a lot from this build, two of the main things I've found is to have patience (not usually my strong point!:D) and also to thoroughly and accurately measure before you start, then everything comes together and looks "right".  My initial idea for this build was to base it on a Britains MF 590/595 engine and chassis as the block is similar but decided to build from scratch so then you don't have to compromise with what you started out with, it takes a little longer but I think it's worth it in the end:)

38 minutes ago, 844john said:

she's getting there, still undecided about wheels at the moment, but I won't mention that, I know wheels are often a subject of major controversy here!:D

My favourite controversy. Always. :D

The fronts off a UH Ford 10 series would be very close to perfect.

The rears off a UH 6X 5000 would be close to perfect if you want a narrow tyre.

The fronts/rears off a UH MF1200 (or rears off a UH MF 575) would be the closest match for 16.9/34s

39 minutes ago, jmd said:

nice job i bet david [dm34] is drooling over this:)

Im having paupetations over this build 

Ild love to do one myself i realy would u are very skilled john  if u ever want to make one up to offload il buy one off you its stunning simply stunning

P.s are you on the facebook page 

Ihgb4cylinder page theres a load of ih worldwde series tractors on there john and they would love to see your build  realy wish i had your skills ild have a 674 475 and 454 ha ha! 

She's looking great John :) but the big question is are you still enjoying the build?  As Stan (SPN) mentioned about wheels,  if needed there is a pair of UH ford 5000 wheels and tyres sat within arms reach of me as i type this, so give us a shout if it's the road you decide to go ;)

Archived