International Harvester 74 series

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, 844john said:

A little bit more done, made and fitted the door handles, wiper, side windows and rubber seal between the cab and the bonnet. Back window and front grill still to do, and I'm still pondering the best way to do the grill at the moment :)

WP_20180121_17_43_06_Pro.jpg

Might be fiddly but could you not make clay strips for the "noughs and crosses" grille and cut the diaganol strips in to the vertical strips  and a square surround then spray silver then mount it on a black background for the grille 

Thanks all, it seems like its finally coming together now, just the back window, mirrors and a few tidying bits to do. Was wondering what would be the best route for the decals on the bonnet and also perhaps a number plate?

I’d be inclined to make a little fahr km 22 mower for her. Would look lovely on it. Proper classic set up.  I’ve got one I restored it myself. I give £50 for it, a complete steal, if you look beyond the panels and guards as they were in a sorry state but I wasn’t bothered as I had a doner one I used to correct that issue. The cut was beautiful like a new mower. Let me know if it’s of any interest I’ll get some measurements over to you mate :) 

22 hours ago, Cheshire Farm Models said:

I’d be inclined to make a little fahr km 22 mower for her. Would look lovely on it. Proper classic set up.  I’ve got one I restored it myself. I give £50 for it, a complete steal, if you look beyond the panels and guards as they were in a sorry state but I wasn’t bothered as I had a doner one I used to correct that issue. The cut was beautiful like a new mower. Let me know if it’s of any interest I’ll get some measurements over to you mate :) 

Thanks Sam, yes a little mower would suit her, when I get time I intend to copy our Claas mower, but that's well down my list at the moment!:D

23 hours ago, 844john said:

Thanks all, it seems like its finally coming together now, just the back window, mirrors and a few tidying bits to do. Was wondering what would be the best route for the decals on the bonnet and also perhaps a number plate?

definitely Henri Walker John for the decals and numberplate

48 minutes ago, IH885XLMAN said:

You could try henri walker john  how did you do the grille i got a 4wd 885 that needs its solid grill doing 

Thanks Nigel. The grill was made by cutting the rectangles out of a piece of .5mm plasticard, then spraying it silver and finally mounting it on to black card. However, the more I looked at it the more I thought that the grill was too chunky so I've re-done it but made the bars finer this time. I also wasn't happy with the glazing as the rubber seals around the glass are black with a white insert, so I've managed to replicate that as well, its just been a very fiddly process! 

45 minutes ago, Paul Palmer said:

definitely Henri Walker John for the decals and numberplate

Thanks Paul, I've never dealt with Henri before, is he good to deal with (by that I mean would he understand my ramblings of what I was after?):D

2 minutes ago, Janval said:

Very impressive! On my Volvo 2654 build I intend to use very small scale rectangle fence, hoping it turns out ok :) 

I ended up having three attempts at it Jan, what I found was a good sharp Stanley knife and just carefully pressing the point through the card, then once the waste was removed tidying up the rectangles with a square needle file. It's a bit fiddly and time consuming, but it does work!

I was going to comment saying Henry would be your best bet for decals,he makes really good waterslide ones,all you'd need is a photo plus LxWxH and he''ll sort you out,he gets e-mails from all over,I'm sure he'll know what you need,as for the grill,I've given that some thought,and reckon square section styrene might be the easiest solution,you could paint them silver then mount them on a black background,

Regards

Joe.

Square section styrene.jpg

1 minute ago, Janval said:

Just a reference to what I'm going to use as well, the grill on the Volvo is a bit different of course, but I reckon a precise cut of this (maybe even double layered) will do the trick for me.
It's 1:87 scale. 

HTB1obhwPVXXXXa1aXXXq6xXFXXXg.jpg

Ah, I get you now Jan, yes that seems a good idea;)

I know what you mean about the white inserts on the windows john i cant wait to see this time consumeing but ild mould up the parts u are happy with if they come out it would save time if u wanted to do a small run of 475s will u do a 454 bloody hell ild by the 2 off you any time of the day mate 

1 hour ago, IH885XLMAN said:

I know what you mean about the white inserts on the windows john i cant wait to see this time consumeing but ild mould up the parts u are happy with if they come out it would save time if u wanted to do a small run of 475s will u do a 454 bloody hell ild by the 2 off you any time of the day mate 

A 454 is a strong possibility Nigel, I restored one of the last ones made on an "S" plate about 25 years ago now, it had the high roof with heater and the Torque Amplifier (which worked!) Sold it about 15 years ago and regretted it ever since! Here's an old pic of it:)

WP_20180117_19_24_17_Pro.jpg

Archived