International Harvester 74 series

9 hours ago, IH885XLMAN said:

Its not a case of just cutting a cylinder out the engine and fitting mf 135 wheels you sit lower down in 454 compared to a 674 or 475  very nice restoration there john 

Thanks Nigel, you're right, its not just that simple. The cab and seating position in a later Q cabbed 454 is similar to the others in the range, the main difference is that the bonnet line is a few inches lower, and as such also the steering wheel, which meant that it always felt like the steering wheel was in your lap even with the seat in its lowest position! We still have a non- Q cab 454 and it isn't as bad, as the actual seat pan is slightly lower. Also, the king pins are shorter on the 454's to compensate for the smaller back wheels:)

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 23/01/2018 at 7:47 PM, 844john said:

Thanks Joe, it looks like Henri's the man! That's a good idea for the grill, its just the thought of me trying to control all of those tiny bits of plastic and getting them to do what I want....:blink::D

Liking this tractor, a cracking build.

With regards using square section tube  (a nice bit of lateral thinking Joe) you could make up the grill using longer pieces and cut to desired length. Gives you the opportunity to make more than one grill then.

37 minutes ago, super6 said:

Liking this tractor, a cracking build.

With regards using square section tube  (a nice bit of lateral thinking Joe) you could make up the grill using longer pieces and cut to desired length. Gives you the opportunity to make more than one grill then.

Cheers Paul,but,after looking again at the picture I posted of the 674,I notice the grill is made up of square and rectangular section,but you can get rectangular styrene,Just had a look on Farmmodels nl,and they have a better selection of tubes than we have here,??

https://www.farmmodels.nl/Rechthoekige-profielen-en-strips

https://evergreenscalemodels.com/collections/14-rectangular-tubes-telescoping

Regards

Joe.

IH 674.jpg

17 minutes ago, Janval said:

I might have missed it in a prevoius post, but what did you use around the windows?

Glazing cabs is something I hate Jan, it's not so bad when you put the glass on the inside, but for me it never quite looks right, as in real tractors the glass is either flush with, or slightly proud of the outside of the cab           (otherwise they would rain in!:D) So, what I tend to do is cut the "glass" just slightly larger than the window hole in the frame and then go around them with a sharpie to give the impression of the black rubber seal. However, the old inters had a white strip in the middle of the rubber that held the seal in place, and my first attempt that was black only didn't look right to me, so for these I used a very fine paint brush and did a 1mm border around the glass with some white primer. When this was dry I used a black pen to create an edge either side of the white to mimic the rubber surround. This is long- winded even for me, but I hope that explains it Jan!:D

4 minutes ago, 844john said:

Glazing cabs is something I hate Jan, it's not so bad when you put the glass on the inside, but for me it never quite looks right, as in real tractors the glass is either flush with, or slightly proud of the outside of the cab           (otherwise they would rain in!:D) So, what I tend to do is cut the "glass" just slightly larger than the window hole in the frame and then go around them with a sharpie to give the impression of the black rubber seal. However, the old inters had a white strip in the middle of the rubber that held the seal in place, and my first attempt that was black only didn't look right to me, so for these I used a very fine paint brush and did a 1mm border around the glass with some white primer. When this was dry I used a black pen to create an edge either side of the white to mimic the rubber surround. This is long- winded even for me, but I hope that explains it Jan!:D

Brilliant! Will do the sharpie method when I get this far!

1 minute ago, Janval said:

Brilliant! Will do the sharpie method when I get this far!

I do find it works well, my biggest problem is applying a fine enough bead of glue around the outside of the window without getting it all over the glass! I would be interested to hear what other people use for this?

1 hour ago, 844john said:

Just a quick pic of the revised window rubbers with the white insert instead of all black. Door mirrors made, just to add along with the back window and plough light, then she's ready for work :D

WP_20180128_15_57_40_Pro (2).jpg

excellent , I will be round for it in the morning , I'm sure to find something for her to do ;)

Just now, dm434 said:

excellent , I will be round for it in the morning , I'm sure to find something for her to do ;)

Better leave it for another couple of days until I get the back window on David, it's not the weather for a draughty cab at the moment! :D

2 minutes ago, 844john said:

Better leave it for another couple of days until I get the back window on David, it's not the weather for a draughty cab at the moment! :D

I was raised in a 434 with a Duncan cab that had no back window either  so no probs there :D

58 minutes ago, 844john said:

That was posh David, ours didn't even have a cab!:D

haha nowt posh about that noisy drafty cab , saying that it was better than the Duncan cab on the 465 Nuffield , it had a wooden sliding door n wasn't a safety cab as it had a roll bar inside it 

Wow she does look the part like the blanking up the white boarders on the window frames u could do an article job by job with all the measurements avalable and tecniques if i cant have one il have to have a go at msking one but it would never look as good as that 475 of yours john 

2 hours ago, IH885XLMAN said:

Wow she does look the part like the blanking up the white boarders on the window frames u could do an article job by job with all the measurements avalable and tecniques if i cant have one il have to have a go at msking one but it would never look as good as that 475 of yours john 

Thanks Nigel, never mind an article, I think I could write a book the amount of work that's gone into this!  Hopefully my next build will be quicker, just started a Case IH 885 L cab, so a few similarities in the build of the cab which should speed things up a little!

On 28/01/2018 at 5:46 PM, 844john said:

I do find it works well, my biggest problem is applying a fine enough bead of glue around the outside of the window without getting it all over the glass! I would be interested to hear what other people use for this?

PVA glue can be used as an alternative for sticking in your glazing, excess can be wiped off with a damp cloth

1 hour ago, super6 said:

PVA glue can be used as an alternative for sticking in your glazing, excess can be wiped off with a damp cloth

Thanks Paul, I haven't tried PVA , I did try what I think was called "cockpit" glue which seemed similar but I found that it took quite a while before it held the glazing in place, but then that's probably me being impatient!

48 minutes ago, 844john said:

Thanks Paul, I haven't tried PVA , I did try what I think was called "cockpit" glue which seemed similar but I found that it took quite a while before it held the glazing in place, but then that's probably me being impatient!

This "might" be just the thing for glazing,I have a tube,as yet untried,but should not "burn" clear plastic,as it only cures useing the UH light,

http://www.5secondfix.com/

Regards

Joe.

Archived