Case IH 685 L cab

As I had a spare bonnet from a 1056, and as the 475 is almost finished I thought I would move forward a few decades to a Case IH 685 with the L cab, which is basically the same frame as used on the 74 series. Anyway, progress so far, engine ( international this time!;))/ gearbox made, mudguards added, cab front made and bonnet depth cut down and side panels shortened.:)

WP_20180130_19_30_41_Pro.jpg

WP_20180130_19_32_01_Pro (2).jpg

WP_20180130_19_32_56_Pro.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, 844john said:

As I had a spare bonnet from a 1056, and as the 475 is almost finished I thought I would move forward a few decades to a Case IH 685 with the L cab, which is basically the same frame as used on the 74 series. Anyway, progress so far, engine ( international this time!;))/ gearbox made, mudguards added, cab front made and bonnet depth cut down and side panels shortened.:)

WP_20180130_19_30_41_Pro.jpg

WP_20180130_19_32_01_Pro (2).jpg

WP_20180130_19_32_56_Pro.jpg

John your talent is endless ! Absolutely amazing start. You are making some brilliant models recently. And there all scratchbuilt... happy days :D

John i could send you the 956xl front weights if needed they are black but used on the 74 series through to the 895s if u wanna cast them or i would cast them up for you mate by the way its looking nice and i could cast you the total rear end mud gaurds gloorpsn ect from tbe ertl 784 but saying that your back ends on those doncaster ih/case ihs are perfect 

9 hours ago, Cheshire Farm Models said:

I really can’t wait for this one ! Are you gonna make a loader to go with it ? Pleasseeeee ??? Hahah 

Thanks Sam, well, the picture on the right in the background is what I had in mind, so a loader is more probable than not!;)

6 hours ago, IH885XLMAN said:

John i could send you the 956xl front weights if needed they are black but used on the 74 series through to the 895s if u wanna cast them or i would cast them up for you mate by the way its looking nice and i could cast you the total rear end mud gaurds gloorpsn ect from tbe ertl 784 but saying that your back ends on those doncaster ih/case ihs are perfect 

Thanks for that Nigel, I do have some of those weights but I was thinking of a loader tractor, so not needed for this one. With regards to casting, that is something that I am just thinking over at the moment, it could prove very useful for engines, cab fronts, axles etc , which would dramatically reduce the build time on these.........then I might think about building some to sell:)

31 minutes ago, 844john said:

Thanks for that Nigel, I do have some of those weights but I was thinking of a loader tractor, so not needed for this one. With regards to casting, that is something that I am just thinking over at the moment, it could prove very useful for engines, cab fronts, axles etc , which would dramatically reduce the build time on these.........then I might think about building some to sell:)

Oh please ...any help i can be just ask i know i could do with your 475 or if ur planning on making a 674 il buy that and a 454 or any parts u are willing to sell like your worldwide front axel and main weight ect im thinking of resuming  my 434 project with a cabcraft cab especialy adding the white beading to the windows  im thinking of doing my own wheels aswell 

I must have atleast 10 IHs to have ago on or buy like a 674 

454 434 784 flatdeck cab 

Also want to do a very early 784 ive seen it in a ih promo with white beading in the window surround  i also think a db 1210 by britains chassis could lend its self to do a 614 or 634 both cabcraft cabbed

Maybee a manitu badged ih altarian fork lift i e showed the missus i want your 475 ha ha! she asked how much i said there will be 2 maybee 3 pandora bracelets comming her way if i get atleast one worldwide ha

You might do well doing a stall at spalding or toytrack john

Well, our daughter is desperate to have a go at casting and its her Birthday at the weekend, so I was thinking maybe we could get her a starter kit and then Dad could possibly borrow it from time to time! Once I have cast a 4 cylinder and a 3 cylinder block along with axles, weights, cab fronts and such then the possible builds are quite numerous, as with slight alterations you could cover the 74, 84, and 85 series, and with a bit more work the 95's as well. I also plan to do a Sekura cab for possibly the next build. I can see my nights will be busy for a while!:D

5 minutes ago, Janval said:

Looking good so far! Would anyone mind sending me a link for one of these starter kits? It would be interesting to see what the casting is all about :) 

http://www.mbfg.co.uk/category-186/polycraft-moulding-casting-resin-kit-small.html?gclid=CjwKCAiA78XTBRBiEiwAGv7EKkZv0-tXO8nRu62EGvfEBtZWwBWTTLd8sXdmLyUvkrkVMlQQ_bcAxhoCWXkQAvD_BwE

I use these guys for Silicone and resin, really good quality stuff.

37 minutes ago, Stabliofarmer said:

So Is that all you need to get cracking James ? 

38 minutes ago, Stabliofarmer said:

Cool, thanks, I'll probably try one of these sets! Would need to read/learn a bit about how to do the moulds properly first though, I expect I have to make an original by hand first for this to work. But it's very tempting :) 

1 hour ago, Stabliofarmer said:

Looking like a great start to another build John, flying through them!

Thanks James, making the most of the dark nights, once lambing comes and the lighter nights then models tend to get shelved for a few months! I might just be picking your brains about casting shortly ;)

1 hour ago, Cheshire Farm Models said:

So Is that all you need to get cracking James ? 

That and a set of 'drug dealer' weighing scales, simple as that.

22 minutes ago, 844john said:

I might just be picking your brains about casting shortly ;)

No problem, any time

9 minutes ago, Janval said:

Unfortunately no shipping outside the UK, oh well!

It may be worth having a google for Resin Casting Material Suppliers in your country. RTV Silicone and Polyurethane Resin are the materials you will be looking for

On ‎31‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 8:35 AM, Stabliofarmer said:

Just ordered a starter set and some aluminium powder :) 

Now to just make a master for the correct rear hub and wheel retaining plate detail for a Valtra T series :)

A little update, diesel tank and cab mounting points added, loader brackets made and fitted, and a start on the loader which is a KAT 4-17 parallel lift, we had one a few years ago now on a 785XL, they were probably one of the best loaders in their day, and they came from just up the road at Consett:)

WP_20180203_18_17_30_Pro (2).jpg

WP_20180203_18_18_14_Pro.jpg

WP_20180203_18_18_24_Pro.jpg

Archived