Case IH 685 L cab

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, dm434 said:

been awhile since ive heard of taylors of consett , he had a brother who farmed near hexham , my second brother worked for him for a short time 

Yes, they're a real blast from the past, good strong loaders though, I think in their day they were hard to beat on quality, you paid for it, but then I've found over the years that you usually get what you pay for:)

22 minutes ago, 844john said:

Yes, they're a real blast from the past, good strong loaders though, I think in their day they were hard to beat on quality, you paid for it, but then I've found over the years that you usually get what you pay for:)

very true , dad had a cattle crush and a small calf crush that was taylor made 

7 hours ago, Cheshire Farm Models said:

How will you go about making the rams John ? I usually use the car aerial method but for the thinner rams there rubbish. I’ve tried using plastruct but it’s either to tight and no room for movement or like a .... in a sleeve haha.

I've got some plastruct tubing and rod that is the right diameter for the rams with (hopefully) just enough play to allow for painting and be stiff enough to hold but still allow for movement :)

I use Plasti strut tubing , with a ally rod ram part for small rams , the secret is to buy a rod ever so slightly bigger than the plastic , i then just drill the inner strut out a smidge at a time to allow a tight fit on the ally rod . Drills out easy for fixing pins to . Best bit it Saves having to paint the ram part then as its already silver 

6 hours ago, 844john said:

I've got some plastruct tubing and rod that is the right diameter for the rams with (hopefully) just enough play to allow for painting and be stiff enough to hold but still allow for movement :)

3 hours ago, Tractorman810 said:

I use Plasti strut tubing , with a ally rod ram part for small rams , the secret is to buy a rod ever so slightly bigger than the plastic , i then just drill the inner strut out a smidge at a time to allow a tight fit on the ally rod . Drills out easy for fixing pins to . Best bit it Saves having to paint the ram part then as its already silver 

Cheers fellas. It’s definitely good not having too paint the silver part of the ram I actually got a perfect fitting ram but it just fetched all the paint off. So was left scratching my head I think I will try the ally rod method. As the smaller rams are so handy to have 

get a good set of multi dia drills, and have a test, once you get the right size ,i mark it with a bit of tape , can not get lost then, and if over time it starts to get a little slack, you just slide the ram out and ever so gently flaten the end, and i mean gently, so it gives some resistance again eventually the plastic will strech ,but its easy to replace that .

5 hours ago, 844john said:

Some more done on the loader, all the pins made and a start on assembling it. I have to say it is testing my patience as it is so bloody fiddley!

WP_20180206_16_05_10_Pro.jpg

WP_20180206_18_18_10_Pro.jpg

WP_20180206_18_21_37_Pro.jpg

A nice shelbourne or grays shear grab would look peachy on that with a rear concrete weight block.. very tidy, ideal yard tractor. Nice bit of light weathering make it look worked but not dogged. I remember driving a industrial/highways ? Yellow  mf 135 with Duncan cab on a scraper. Not much left of it mind no grill etc plastered in the good brown stuff to like ;) 

10 hours ago, The Tractor Twitcher said:

Another stunning build John, great progress so far, and really pleasing to see one of these in 1/32nd scale. :)

Thank you David, its nice to do something different, that's why I'm making a start on the Leyland, and also a David Brown/Case 1394 is on the cards as well, all good memories from my youth!:)

That’s incredible work. I’m quite happy building a kit, but this is skill level way beyond me.

I remember well working on the 85 series tractors, my first two years were in the test department. Have to see if I can find any old photos of the time, not sure where they would be....

11 hours ago, GPS said:

That’s incredible work. I’m quite happy building a kit, but this is skill level way beyond me.

I remember well working on the 85 series tractors, my first two years were in the test department. Have to see if I can find any old photos of the time, not sure where they would be....

Thank you Gavin. I was brought up on internationals, from the 275, 276, 434 through numerous models from the 74, 84, 85, 95 and 56 series, a brief encounter with a 4230 (not a patch on the earlier series) and finally Maxxum and MX models. Today we still have a few reds left, but now they are diluted with a bit of green;) but I still have a soft spot for these old nashes. Really hope you come across your photographs, would love to see them and hear any stories from your time at Donny!

• 6 months later...

Ive missed this mate ive started sorting out my shed got to re roof her but I hope to have a full operating workshop by mid September got 276 &414 434 to knock out then on to a 674 then I might treat myself and send some parts off to have a neat 585 xl and 885 4wd do make up  shes looking good by the way

6 hours ago, alf aphid said:

Incredible John, that loader especially impressive. It all looks true and aligned too, must have been an absolute mare!! 

Thanks Alastair, to be honest it wasn't too bad, just fiddley to put together, but then maybe that's more to do with my eyes and fingers!:D I've several models sat in different stages of completion and i would like the majority of them finished so that i can have a big spraying session, but whether that all happens or not remains to be seen. ;)For a good while now I've wanted to do a baling diorama of the gear we used when i was younger. This was made up of a 2wd Ford 4610 LP on an International B47 baler and Meijor flat eight sledge, International 785 4wd with Kat loader and Lawrence Edwards flat eight grab and an International684 with a Ritchie 56 bale transporter. Some of the stuff I've already started work on, and I've plans drawn for most of it, so that is going to be my winter project to work through those builds and then hopefully have a go at a diorama. However, what i plan and what actually happens is often two very different things......:D

Archived