Lantau Farm's

Final preparations are now being made for harvest, with the combines are being serviced and headers are being brought to the main farm yard.  

The barley is nearly ready for harvest, so the grain silos now need to be urgently finished.  

This year we will be harvesting with a Claas Lexion 760 and a Tucano 570.  The new John Deere 7310r will be on chaser duty.  

20180703_141517.jpg

20180703_141552.jpg

20180703_141748.jpg

20180703_141756.jpg

20180703_141948.jpg

20180703_142111.jpg

• Like 8

With regard to the financial side of the farm, we have been actively selling wheat recently.  We remain bullish wheat in general given the production issues in Russia, Germany and the Baltic.  However, UK wheat is now pricing at historically high premium to imported maize from Ukraine and South America and imported wheat from the EU, so while world prices may move higher the UK looks fully valued.  We are not hedging everything though, as if the US maize production outlook turns South, this would make imported maize less competitive supporting UK prices.  

We are holding off hedging our rapeseed at present, there looks to be record crops in Ukraine and Canada this year, more than offsetting the losses in the EU.  World oilseed prices have though been depressed by the impact of the US/China trade war on soybeans.  We are in hope that the US and China will return to the negotiation table before we have to move our rapeseed, which will hopefully give us a better hedging opportunity.  

We are also holding fire on our barley hedging, given the poor production outlook in the Black Sea region.  We are though a little concerned about the slow down in Chinese demand recently.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks for the comments and feedback guys.  

Majority of my projects are based on  machinery that are produced in Lincolnshire. So lots more Simba, Larrington, Bailey, etc models on the way.  

Interesting note on the Simba Subsoiler, while the packer should be DD rings really, this one looked to good not to use.  The packer is made up of a row old school Britain's front wheel rims. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here are a few photos I have found from last Autumns Tillage.  First picks are the John Deere 8530 with all around duals with Simba 23c 6m Disc Harrows and a Simiba 6.5m Cultipress. 

On stand by is the John Deere 9570RX with a Simba Flatliner to bust out the deeply compacted areas of the field.  

20190105_203310.jpg

20190105_203510.jpg

20190105_203550.jpg

20190105_203935.jpg

20190105_204009.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 1/6/2019 at 1:09 AM, Paul Palmer said:

I love this layout,great to follow,great pics

Thanks, I will make sure to keep them coming through.  Any chance you will have a layout again soon.  I have certainly taken some impression from your work in the past.  I have some of the card "concrete slabs" you recommended waiting to go on the layout. 

moving house Chris space is at a premium and the loft is full of beams,not like my previous loft,however I have just bought a usk challenger 775 and a wiking fendt 1050 and ros lemken 6 metre discs to make a dio with ,it will go in a display cabinet,look forward to your pictures of the slabs