Matbro Teleram

49 minutes ago, Valley Axe Man said:

Impressive work John.... although by the looks of it your no novice and been around the cutting mat an hour or two ;) This is scratch building at its best, a few sheets of styrene, a bit of sectional and a sales brochure for dimension and visual guide. Keep up the good progress :)

Cheers Paul, I had a quick tally up and found I've done (or at least started!) far more conversions and scratch builds than i had realised, so i suppose i can't keeping using the excuse of being a total novice for any shoddy work now!:D In all honesty, i think i prefer building from scratch to conversions now, as i find I've often spent as long modifying something as i would have building it from scratch, and you don't have to compromise on what's available. That said, I've got a few conversions in mind at the moment, but such thoughts are being burried until i clear at least some of my bench!:D

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, 844john said:

Thanks Alastair, you know what they say about an hour in the morning!;) My latest thoughts for the wheels is to use the fronts from the later Britains 4wd's, ie Massey 2680, Ford TW35 etc as they are the same size as the loadall, but instead of a solid rim they have centres attached by six points which should make them easier to cut out, then hopefully fabricate new centres to match the Matbro's.

The biggest problem now is the front of the boom and headstock, as it's quite a complicated arrangement and I haven't come across any good pictures of it yet, looks like I'll have to do a bit more digging!

Good thinking on the wheels, I’ll look and see if I have any pics. I have to confess that’s why I was thinking of butchering the TM

Just now, alf aphid said:

Good thinking on the wheels, I’ll look and see if I have any pics. I have to confess that’s why I was thinking of butchering the TM

I had a quick go this morning and i think it'll work, having said that, I've also found the odd picture of some on solid rims

original.jpg

1 minute ago, 844john said:

I had a quick go this morning and i think it'll work, having said that, I've also found the odd picture of some on solid rims

original.jpg

That’s the later one. I think all the earlier ones had had the flat square dish. I think !

17 minutes ago, alf aphid said:

That’s the later one. I think all the earlier ones had had the flat square dish. I think !

That's right, it is a later one, until i looked i hadn't realised how many different versions there has been, however, earlier ones might have had a wheel change if necessary;)

25 minutes ago, 844john said:

That's right, it is a later one, until i looked i hadn't realised how many different versions there has been, however, earlier ones might have had a wheel change if necessary;)

Yes I heard there were a few changed under warranty!! ;)

Ram for extending and retracting the boom added and a start on the pin and cone headstock. The ram to crowd the headstock is located within the telescopic boom and the geometry of the linkage to tip and crowd the attachments is quite complex to replicate in this scale, especially with the absence of any dimensions or good photos, a bit of head scratching and trial and error i think, but we'll get there eventually!

WP_20180722_17_43_56_Pro.jpg

WP_20180722_17_44_14_Pro.jpg

WP_20180722_17_40_11_Pro.jpg

WP_20180722_17_39_51_Pro.jpg

WP_20180722_17_44_44_Pro.jpg

very nice john , i could offer a cheat for the headstock ram,  but its not easy , the teleshift was a difficult tip angle to get, due the same issues as  yours ,ie the size of it in 1/32, so i cheated and made it a 2 stage ram out of car aerials, not a single , it gives you the right workings then within the length you need , and honestly isnt that noticable , hardest bit is trimming down the shims inside the areial sections to allow the full stroke without going loose, i suspect given how well you work plastistrut,you could do it in that , especially if its not going to be posed in loaded work positions, thats why i use aerials all round for loaders 

Thanks Sean, it's certainly a complicated arrangement, the ram is actually not a problem as it lies horizontally inside the boom, it is the linkage from it to the headstock which is almost in a z shaped arrangement that is causing the problems, it's in the pictures below but is not good to see) I've had a couple of mock-ups (or cock-ups to be more precise!) but i think I've almost cracked it

th4X1WM0N2.jpg

800 (3).jpg

th038JY8ZO.jpg

27 minutes ago, 844john said:

Thank you Joe, I've said it before, you are definitely the oracle on here! ;)

Cheers John,just a case of putting the correct phrase in the right search engine,

Regards

Joe.

Well, after much head scratching and several attempts I've finally managed to replicate the headstock linkage. The ram lies inside the boom and is connected by a slightly complex arrangement to the headstock. The difficulty was getting the tip and crowd angles to match the real deal, but persistence has finally paid off:)

WP_20180723_16_41_52_Pro.jpg

WP_20180723_16_50_16_Pro.jpg

WP_20180723_16_50_43_Pro.jpg

WP_20180723_16_51_13_Pro.jpg

WP_20180723_16_51_21_Pro (2).jpg

WP_20180723_16_51_30_Pro (2).jpg

Thank you Paul, it's been a bit like being a detective, I've had to piece together bits here and there from what pictures i could find and trying to guestimate the measurements, but we got there in the end

On 7/23/2018 at 8:38 PM, JEP said:

As above, brilliant scratch building - not only the quality, but the speed at which the model is developing. In awe!! 

Yes, incredible speed!!

lookkng really good now. 

16 hours ago, Kirely said:

Fantastic mini engineering.

5 hours ago, alf aphid said:

Yes, incredible speed!!

lookkng really good now. 

Thanks chaps, it's certainly been a test of hand-eye coordination to get that linkage working, I'm beginning to think that glasses might be my next purchase!

Archived