Jump to content

Leyland 282 Synchros / tabmodels


Recommended Posts

I've been asked to build this for a Leyland enthusiast who at first wanted to convert it from a completed Scaledown Leyland 270. Realising the work involved with stripping back the model, building and repainting, I decided to use some key parts and build it from scratch. It will feature floatation front tyres.

DSC_2019.thumb.JPG.e73104449c47e84970de1a78626ef409.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quick mock up of the model using the Scaledown cab and front axle. I made a resin copy of the bonnet to keep the weight of the model down and to easily modify it around the cab.

Scratch built cab parts ready for moulding, this will also reduce the weight significantly.

DSC_2010.thumb.JPG.238e2103a3a86e153cc21b3855bb3b1d.JPGDSC_2009.thumb.JPG.69f61e4819cf35aaf30312979174d070.JPGDSC_2013.thumb.JPG.08c84ba035d9c8b360067b6a1ea1f976.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, 844john said:

looking very nice so far Ian, you've beaten me to this one, i can have a go later on now after you've done all the hard work!:D

Thanks John, mind you these cabs are fiddly, getting the fit right along with the floor pan and other obstructions. This is good practice for the upcoming County Lambourns!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cracking workmanship so far Ian, I have a bit of a soft spot for Nuffields, leylands and marshalls, I learnt to drive on leylands so this is right up my street, how are you going to replicate the vague steering and temperamental brakes? :lol:  As exciting as this is it's topped by that lambourn cab you are teasing us with!!!!:D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, tabmodels said:

Quick mock up of the model using the Scaledown cab and front axle. I made a resin copy of the bonnet to keep the weight of the model down and to easily modify it around the cab.

Scratch built cab parts ready for moulding, this will also reduce the weight significantly.

DSC_2010.thumb.JPG.238e2103a3a86e153cc21b3855bb3b1d.JPGDSC_2009.thumb.JPG.69f61e4819cf35aaf30312979174d070.JPGDSC_2013.thumb.JPG.08c84ba035d9c8b360067b6a1ea1f976.JPG

Wait until Paul sees this, i think he'll be rather taken with it! Out of curiosity Ian, how do you get the corners of your windows so even and round without cutting your finger ends off?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, mb86 said:

Cracking workmanship so far Ian, I have a bit of a soft spot for Nuffields, leylands and marshalls, I learnt to drive on leylands so this is right up my street, how are you going to replicate the vague steering and temperamental brakes? :lol:  As exciting as this is it's topped by that lambourn cab you are teasing us with!!!!:D

Yes since taking this on I'm starting to see the appeal of the old Leylands, don't worry, no vagueness in the steering on this one, it'll be so tight it won't even move :D and it'll have fulltime four wheel braking :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, 844john said:

Wait until Paul sees this, i think he'll be rather taken with it! Out of curiosity Ian, how do you get the corners of your windows so even and round without cutting your finger ends off?

Well, after many bloodied attempts and snapped blade tips, I resorted to drilling the corners out and then cutting the straight lines connecting the holes. Not completely fool proof either though :wacko:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, tabmodels said:

Well, after many bloodied attempts and snapped blade tips, I resorted to drilling the corners out and then cutting the straight lines connecting the holes. Not completely fool proof either though :wacko:

So not just me with a bit of bark missing from my fingers then Ian!:D I did try that method a couple of times, but somehow i always managed to drill the holes out of position, i fear i must practice more.....or resort to glasses!;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, 844john said:

So not just me with a bit of bark missing from my fingers then Ian!:D I did try that method a couple of times, but somehow i always managed to drill the holes out of position, i fear i must practice more.....or resort to glasses!;)

I'm using glasses and still get it wrong :D I mark it out precisely then drill a little pilot hole using a tiny jewellery twist drill and then hit it with the heavy gear

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, SPN said:

I'd suggest lifting the nose a little bit to compensate for the bigger front tyres.

Other than that, WOW, as always.

 

Thanks Stan, everything is blu-tacked together in these pics so I will be making those adjustments during the build ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, b_emmons said:

looks great Ian :wub:

might need one to go with the forward control country :ph34r::D

Cheers Brian, this will be a one-off at the moment until I make the skid unit mouldable, I don't want to go copying Scaledown parts either. May sculpt my own bonnet next and hoping to use the cab for future builds, Leyland 4100 in particular!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, mb86 said:

Cracking workmanship so far Ian, I have a bit of a soft spot for Nuffields, leylands and marshalls, I learnt to drive on leylands so this is right up my street, how are you going to replicate the vague steering and temperamental brakes? :lol:  As exciting as this is it's topped by that lambourn cab you are teasing us with!!!!:D

I always wondered if the move to the Syncro gearbox was because of the brakes issue.

You can put that gearbox into reverse whilst going forward.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, SPN said:

Okay, now things are kicking off.

Things are starting to get expensive Stan. B) 

 

14 minutes ago, SPN said:

I always wondered if the move to the Syncro gearbox was because of the brakes issue.

You can put that gearbox into reverse whilst going forward.

Never tried that in mine, although when she was ready for a new clutch there was a few 1-2-3 clutchless shifts. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looking good Ian, Very nice and can't wait to see her with a bit of paint on ;)  Would prefer a  482 to the 282 but have had a bit of fun on a 272 syncro  so wouldn't rule one out :)  Bigger question would be upscaling into 16th? Now that would interest me very much indeed;).....Was talking to a Mr Conolley at the Edinburgh Tractor Show back in March and he said about having a decent model of a 282 after seeing my collection of Scaledowns and RJN's on show. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Valley Axe Man said:

Looking good Ian, Very nice and can't wait to see her with a bit of paint on ;)  Would prefer a  482 to the 282 but have had a bit of fun on a 272 syncro  so wouldn't rule one out :)  Bigger question would be upscaling into 16th? Now that would interest me very much indeed;).....Was talking to a Mr Conolley at the Edinburgh Tractor Show back in March and he said about having a decent model of a 282 after seeing my collection of Scaledowns and RJN's on show. 

 

 

Thanks Paul! Funny you should mention a Mr Connolly...:D Yes he was showing me photos of your amazing collection, some lovely models indeed. I may progress to the 482 after this, and as for 1/16 - there would be a hell of a lot of work in that one but it would make for a fantastic model.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.