Ford 8730 plastic discolouration

Ferret90

I've just dragged this ford out from the back shelf to discover it has changed colours 

it hasn't been in the sun and it has been tucked away in a comer of the shelf so I'm not sure weather this is uv related or just the plastic going funny. I took the cab off and where you would think there should be pure white and has been covered, it is just as bad.

has anyone else had this or any ideas? IMG_7545.thumb.JPG.c4825ba49baa6a65d1b883b002480586.JPGIMG_7546.thumb.JPG.45d0d8d2f2eb5ecfe175c751e90ee0c4.JPG

Im no expert but i would imagine its UV related, i believe certain plastics are susceptible to yellowing, melting and becoming brittle as they age, prolonged exposure to light and temperature fluctuations produce a chemical reaction within the plastic. It seems plastics used by Britains during certain periods are unfortunately prone to all 3 reactions.

see that with white plastics before ,and i seem to remember it being a uv reaction, but cant remember exactly what / why it happens , someone  did say, and somethings ringing a bell in my  memory about the type of oil products used in the plastic, a not to dis-similar issue to the known plastic wheel rot we see on the older stuff. it affects other stuff to,i have 2 ransomes spud harvesters, both stored in sealed boxes, in the dark in the loft, on adding stuff the other day i found one had effectivley bust by its self, the orange plastic had gone very brittle and a oily film had formed over all of it ,, which had also started to melt the rubber bands, yet the other,ok in a different box,but same storage method , is perfectly ok?? i am always carefull if moving the boxes so know its not been bounced or anything. 

8 hours ago, super6 said:

These spud harvesters seem to be notorious for this Sean, lots of them on ebay that look to be falling apart. Afraid to look my one out :huh:

Yes mine developed “sweaty” belts, weird isn’t it, like the whole wheel melt scenario. Why do some get in such a mess, whilst others stay unchanged for decades. 

With regard to discolouration, whites are very common, how often do you see a pure white Lamborghini!? Blues are certainly less effected though I’d say from my experience

oh well you’ve found your next repaint project! 

1 hour ago, alf aphid said:

Yes mine developed “sweaty” belts, weird isn’t it, like the whole wheel melt scenario. Why do some get in such a mess, whilst others stay unchanged for decades. 

With regard to discolouration, whites are very common, how often do you see a pure white Lamborghini!? Blues are certainly less effected though I’d say from my experience

oh well you’ve found your next repaint project! 

the oils in the rubber can leach out over time and reacts with plastic, and will eventually lead to the rubber splitting :ph34r:

It is quite common in early model kits including Tamiya kits from the 80's, and is only really solved by having the plastic painted as a barrier :( 

I have found the front rims mainly on the Britain's 4wd tractors like the Ford TW20, 7710, 5610 & the Fiat 880 4wds are terrible for the wheel melt compared to the others from.that era. It only seems to be the white coloured rims also that suffer the most. I dont see it as bad on the Deutz DXs or the Volvo BM. 

I have a UH County 1884 that's also showing some melt & a ROS  NH  T7070..

Wheel melt is common on grey, white and yellow from my experience.  Grey front wheels effected are those common to the Deutz DX and MF 130 drill etc., rears the same.  The white wheels are those common to Fiat 880DTs etc. and MF 2680/3680, Valmets/MF 6180, Deutz 4.57 etc.  Yellow wheels, are bad on the early manure spreader etc.  I store all those era tractors without their tyres on to try and limit the damage, however, don't wrap the wheels in kitchen towel or the like as it sticks like poo to a blanket!!

UV light is a killer for plastic - the best example is the Gold MB Trac that goes silver in sunlight and I guess the JCB 3185 Gold would do the same.  Not only does it discolour, but goes brittle depending on the age etc. - think Bakelite!   As always, store/display models out of direct sunlight!

Archived