Britains Ford Transit Van

Just bought a Howard spreader and the Britains RSPCA transit at a show today. The spreader's in very good condition,  so I don't need to do anything with it. 

However,  the van is silver and has got RSPCA markings around it and I would like to make it into a nice plain blank white van. 

Nail polish remover was suggested by one man, as well as a primer before painting. 

Has anyone got any advice / experience regarding these transits?     

20181208_172402.jpg

20181208_172342.jpg

20181208_172348.jpg

I would probably just sand it down with a fine grit like wet and dry stuff  ,prime it and paint it, silver should be a hard colour to match. If not mabey some paint thinners or something to get it to bare metal

heres my one but not much help as it is many colours IMG_4993.thumb.JPG.634be3475ff27104bbcfcefb89e4b8f6.JPG

1 hour ago, Laois 1:32 said:

Just bought a Howard spreader and the Britains RSPCA transit at a show today. The spreader's in very good condition,  so I don't need to do anything with it. 

However,  the van is silver and has got RSPCA markings around it and I would like to make it into a nice plain blank white van. 

Nail polish remover was suggested by one man, as well as a primer before painting. 

Has anyone got any advice / experience regarding these transits?     

20181208_172402.jpg

20181208_172342.jpg

20181208_172348.jpg

What show was that you were at ?? 

Nice buy there 

57 minutes ago, Ferret90 said:

I would probably just sand it down with a fine grit like wet and dry stuff  ,prime it and paint it, silver should be a hard colour to match. If not mabey some paint thinners or something to get it to bare metal

heres my one but not much help as it is many colours IMG_4993.thumb.JPG.634be3475ff27104bbcfcefb89e4b8f6.JPG

Thanks for that. I'll try sanding it when I get a chance......

2 minutes ago, SPN said:

I was thinking of heading up tomorrow. Is it worth travelling to?

I suppose so. When we went at 1 today,  some exhibitors still hadn't arrived, but they should be there tomorrow.  There's a good selection of models for sale,  as well as a few dioramas. If you're looking  for any classic /vintage / rare Britain's as well as brand new Britains models, it's well worth attending.  Nice selection of smaller scale trucks/cars on sale too. 

47 minutes ago, Toolbox Tam said:

Try some toothpaste , or some T Cut or other car type paint restorer ,a small amount  with a soft cloth . Should remove decals & then use a very small amount of car polish on area where decal was & buff off .

I would not recommend nail polish remover , it can be too strong & may well damage paint , as would using sandpaper .

That would leave a plain blank Silver van , but would save a repaint .

Thanks for those ideas. I'd say whatever I do I'll need to give it a repaint as there are numerous scratches at the front of the van and I want it white anyway. 

On 12/8/2018 at 8:53 PM, Laois 1:32 said:

Thanks for those ideas. I'd say whatever I do I'll need to give it a repaint as there are numerous scratches at the front of the van and I want it white anyway. 

Remove all plastic components and dunk it in nitromors, clean with water and soft brass brush to clean of any remaining paint. Wash with fairy liquid (other brands are available!) to remove any grease or residue, allow to dry completely, then primer and finally top coat. It’s the only way if you want a proper as new finish, in my opinion. 

4 hours ago, Toolbox Tam said:

There is a misconception about washing with Fairy , or other household dish washing detergent before painting .

Most household dishwashing detergents contain lanolin , among other things , to held make dishes sparkle . This leaves an oily surface , which is no issue with dishes , but can be a major headache with paint adherence. 

A cream cleanser , Cif type can be used , or panel wipes ( for car paint preparation ) or a quick evaporating solvent on metal models . 

Plastic & resin obviously need special care with solvent .

Thanks for that warning. We were thinking of trying methylated spirits to clean off the decals and then see from there. (If I ever find time)

On 12/11/2018 at 2:29 PM, Toolbox Tam said:

There is a misconception about washing with Fairy , or other household dish washing detergent before painting .

Most household dishwashing detergents contain lanolin , among other things , to held make dishes sparkle . This leaves an oily surface , which is no issue with dishes , but can be a major headache with paint adherence. 

A cream cleanser , Cif type can be used , or panel wipes ( for car paint preparation ) or a quick evaporating solvent on metal models . 

Plastic & resin obviously need special care with solvent .

Ah ok, I must say never had any issues but interesting point 

• 2 weeks later...

I finally managed to make a start on the transit. First I used methylated spirits which removed the permanent marker the previous owner had put on. The methylated spirits did not remove the decals, after a lot of rubbing them in they started shifting paint.  So; Secondly I got some nail polish remover which I applied gently in small amounts and wiped off with a cloth.  This is what I ended up with:

1545497315899-552463127.thumb.jpg.3ae24c4c6cfff2562bcd3f36c63aea83.jpg

Although it is hard to see in the photograph, certain areas do need a respray so I'm going to have to prime it then mask off the bits needing sprayed and spray them. 

After priming, it was given a light rub down and then sprayed silver.  Once the silver had dried,  I removed all the masking tape apart from the bits on the windows. Then I applied lacquer to the whole van. 

The remaining masking tape was removed and the whole van was put together again. There is a slight variation in colour of the two silvers but it's not too noticeable and at least it looks better than before. 

I'm now working on making removable decals which means the van can belong to various companies on the layout. I'm either going to get white post its or re positionable glue.

I'm also considering making a hitch for the rear of the van to tow the 10 X 5 with.

20181228_210027.jpg

Archived