Pettit 12 ton tipper

They are now both finished in terms of parts made, now need to be sprayed red.... My favourite job.. Not.

Have about 7 models at moment waiting for spray booth treatment, think I will wait for the warm weather...:D

_20181210_175340.JPG

_20181210_175456.JPG

_20181210_175542.JPG

_20181210_175616.JPG

_20181210_175655.JPG

You share my theory of two at once John, I did the same with my MF weeks, only problem is at some stage in the project, I got carried away with one, finished it off, and to this day the other sits in my kitchen 80% done!!

looking brilliant though. These are going to be crackers!  That scoring the plasticard really is an excellent way of imitating wood isn’t it. 

12 hours ago, smithy said:

You might be waiting a long while now for the warm weather :) good builds there John ,clad you are keeping busy ;)

Cheers Smithy, we could do with some of that weather we had when we were on the combine! ;)

4 hours ago, alf aphid said:

You share my theory of two at once John, I did the same with my MF weeks, only problem is at some stage in the project, I got carried away with one, finished it off, and to this day the other sits in my kitchen 80% done!!

looking brilliant though. These are going to be crackers!  That scoring the plasticard really is an excellent way of imitating wood isn’t it. 

Yes definitely Alistair, had to be very disciplined in order not to get to carried away with one over the other! :D 

You need to get that 20% finished on your lovely MF, they will make a great pair. :)

21 minutes ago, Janval said:

What dimensions are the profiles used on the frame here? Or are they cut from sheets? 

Hi Janval, fortunately the brochures give the chassis/box section dimensions used by Pettit, so using plastruct channels and box, l have been able to pretty much match the dimensions to 1:32 scale, but off the top of my head, l can't remember what they are :wacko:, as soon as I get the chance I will measure them (do you want the chassis box dimensions or the floor box dimensions or the overall dimensions of the tipper body?) 

Cheers. 

13 hours ago, SPN said:

I love it/them.

Can't wait to see them finished.

Can you do a close up of how you made the tipping hinges at the back.

Thanks SPN. 

Pictures not very sharp, but l hope they are of some help. :)

_20181211_113612.JPG

_20181211_113518.JPG

_20181211_113450.JPG

2 hours ago, JEP said:

Hi Janval, fortunately the brochures give the chassis/box section dimensions used by Pettit, so using plastruct channels and box, l have been able to pretty much match the dimensions to 1:32 scale, but off the top of my head, l can't remember what they are :wacko:, as soon as I get the chance I will measure them (do you want the chassis box dimensions or the floor box dimensions or the overall dimensions of the tipper body?) 

Cheers. 

I was thinking about the sides from this part:

_20181210_175655.thumb.JPG.bc660a16d41777fefd85ad37a9101904.thumb.JPG.79471e5052d5e8cf518ca8b00a9803fa.JPG

After a more thorough look, I guess they're cut from a sheet of plastruct? I've just started a few trailers myself (might upload some photos tonight if I have time available). I started using profiles, just to realise they were much to small (4*4mm). Shortcuts rarely pay off:lol:

These looks great, by the way :)

2 hours ago, Janval said:

I was thinking about the sides from this part:

_20181210_175655.thumb.JPG.bc660a16d41777fefd85ad37a9101904.thumb.JPG.79471e5052d5e8cf518ca8b00a9803fa.JPG

After a more thorough look, I guess they're cut from a sheet of plastruct? I've just started a few trailers myself (might upload some photos tonight if I have time available). I started using profiles, just to realise they were much to small (4*4mm). Shortcuts rarely pay off:lol:

These looks great, by the way :)on

On the Pettit 12 ton trailer, the box section on the chassis was 9 x 3 inches. On the model this is 7mm x 2.5mm. 

Hope this helps. 

3 hours ago, Tractorman810 said:

tidy work, something about those pettit and ransomes trailers, they just look right,hence why i did mine , from me ory the 12 ton ones could have silage sides to, and also a root crop set up, will have to check in the brouchure 

Yes know what you mean about the Pettit/Ransomes trailers, something about them. l do like the older 10/12 ton trailers with wooden sides, old school character :).

Another one l would like to make is a 10 ton Tyrer trailer, (1970's - and not that many made) but finding one of those has so far proved elusive.... :unsure:

its what we grew up with, monocoques were a new thing back then i guess , but were limited to one or two tasks as such , with the wood ones you took sides off, added extensions , added floor extensions and hauled bales, a very useable trailer for most farms in their day . i fact even the vicon buffalo muck spreader my grandad had could be stripped to a normal trailer for the year, add beater and gearbox for autumn work. 

Lovely old brochure/picture.

Sadly very few of the trailer manufacturers of the 60's-70's are still around, (due to economic issues, and economies of scale) so they have either amalgamated or have gone, and l suppose a lot of those that have gone were farm based or blacksmith type set ups, although between them they must have produced literally tens of thousands of trailers in their prime (albeit mainly 3-10 tons Capacity).

Tyrer trailers were a farm based company, and yet they still produced thousands of trailers between the 60's through to the late 70's, and were probably the first company to come up with a stillage/body system. Also one of the leaders with hi-lift trailers in the 60's.

Archived