1-76 scale (00 gauge) Diaramas of farming in the 50's and 60's

Royjohnson

• 2 months later...

I've never really looked closely at model railways until a couple of weeks ago when we were in York and happened upon a brilliant model shop that kept everything from tractors, kits, tools, styrene, scenic products and a whole host of model railway stuff.......the detail and choice of what's available is staggering! I certainly wish the shop was a bit closer to home, but then again, maybe for the sake of my wallet it's better that it's not......

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Brilliant. Some lovely looking blues on there.
There is a dissused railway through the farm here which was a victim of the ‘63 Beeching act. It is a shame it closed as it would have kept a lot of traffic off the roads if it had been retained as a goods line. There were a couple of interesting features of the line, it had the highest point of any line in mainland Britain and also there was a viaduct on my neighbours land which was the only curved steel viaduct in Europe at the time. My great grandfather was a signalman at the local station and various other relatives worked on the trains as well. 

Archived