Britains Ford Iveco livestock lorry conversion

I've decided , after a lot of thinking, to convert the old ford cattle lorry. The main thing I want to do is shorten it as it just looks a little too big on my diorama. It's also going to have a full repaint and some other stuff. Unfortunately it is in quite a rough state with no back door but hopefully I will be able to make a new one. I didn't take any photos of it in the first place but this is what I'm aiming for...IMG_7828.thumb.PNG.6e497a4b0fbd1f94d56926ab2291ab4f.PNGI have shortened the shell but 4.5cm and glued in all the cracks in the topIMG_5096.thumb.JPG.1744e9489f7f7dcaf299d61ed25f810b.JPGIMG_5098.thumb.JPG.09801edee5091e9ccec5041fe2b39267.JPGIMG_5099.thumb.JPG.1dcbaf2db7dbaf6f2868f32244c296b4.JPGhereIMG_5100.thumb.JPG.c62e0bfd301552aae5e4a90c10898339.JPG is a mock up of what it is going to be like lengthwise...

not waiing for a ford d series then :D:D intrested to see how you get on with rejoining the chassis, i have never yet managed to find a glue that holds properly, even with bracing, the plastic seems to be a waxy type and the glue won't bond  properly, so i used a tanker chassis instead for the truck  i did ages ago

1 hour ago, Tractorman810 said:

not waiing for a ford d series then :D:D intrested to see how you get on with rejoining the chassis, i have never yet managed to find a glue that holds properly, even with bra ing, the plastic seems to be a waxy type and the glue won't bond  properly, so i used a tanker chassis instead for the truck  i did ages ago

I know I've maybe led a bit of a sheltered life Sean, but to me bra ing has a totally different meaning......and it doesn't involve plastics and glue :o:D;)

18 hours ago, alf aphid said:

Looking good, you are getting some quantity of conversions at the moment !  I’d love to find some more UK orientated cabs to put on, the old magirus Deutz was an odd choice at the time! 

Thanks Alastair :) yes it's weird why they chose that. The ones with the ford badge are strange as well as there not cargos as the side windows dropped at the front. It would be nice to have a Bedford or Volvo or something like that

18 hours ago, prickles said:

a guy called john hardy did some leyland dat road runner  cab conversions many years ago  intact lots of years now it is something there is a still a market for

Yes someone needs to make some, I'm sure they would be fairly easy to fit as it is so basic. :) 

6 hours ago, Tractorman810 said:

not waiing for a ford d series then :D:D intrested to see how you get on with rejoining the chassis, i have never yet managed to find a glue that holds properly, even with bracing, the plastic seems to be a waxy type and the glue won't bond  properly, so i used a tanker chassis instead for the truck  i did ages ago

Hahaha, I'm just filling the time :D I forgot about that as I had that trouble with one I did as well. It's weird as it's not brittle but bendy:wacko: I'm hope the red lorry bed will help me to join it.

Coming together a bit more now, I just need to join it all together as it is just propped up in the photos.  Just grinded off the bed and they don't make models like they used too, solid metal!!  I'm thinking the livestock shell seems to be very high compared to the cab but it seems about right off the ground. I may need to put one of those wind deflector things on. Another thing is the gap between the cab and shell looks quite big but I might just leave it how it is. As you can see in the last photo, I am going to have to make a back door as it never had one anyway and I have the tailboard thing with the lights to go on...IMG_5103.thumb.JPG.8eb0aae6a78c8c8b0f8bf586eeac2f46.JPGIMG_5104.thumb.JPG.905eebc04fbad845ad35dcb215a0e69e.JPG

IMG_5105.JPG

Looking good! Gap between the cab looks about right to me. Exactly the same comments regarding gluing the chassis, it just isn't possible! Led me to scratch build chassis. 

I have read before that the cab is loosely based around the Club of Four cab, a universal cab used by Volvo, Daf, Magi Deutz and Saviem, and later Iveco, which would possibly suggest the choice, milk four brands from one casting.

Although the cab actually resembles the later Magi/Iveco T series cab, but given at the time Britain's where making Deutz Same Lambo Fiat tractors I guess the license was easier and simpler to acquire than if they had to start up brand new talks with say Scania or British Leyland. 

7 hours ago, Stabliofarmer said:

Looking good! Gap between the cab looks about right to me. Exactly the same comments regarding gluing the chassis, it just isn't possible! Led me to scratch build chassis. 

I have read before that the cab is loosely based around the Club of Four cab, a universal cab used by Volvo, Daf, Magi Deutz and Saviem, and later Iveco, which would possibly suggest the choice, milk four brands from one casting.

Although the cab actually resembles the later Magi/Iveco T series cab, but given at the time Britain's where making Deutz Same Lambo Fiat tractors I guess the license was easier and simpler to acquire than if they had to start up brand new talks with say Scania or British Leyland. 

thanks James, I knew you would be able to tell me what it is based on :D  I've had a look around and your definitely right about it being based on an iveco t series. I also had a look at some bedfords and mabey I could base it on something a bigot more British like a TL. Not sure about the front or side windows but I'm not really worried about it.

yes I've decided to leave that gap but tried to get it a bit closer to the cab. And as for the chassis I have a plan. I'm thinking of gluing it and putting some metal screws in as you won't see underneath the shell :) IMG_7844.thumb.PNG.7d5edbe1953f4409cee1bda80b6c0812.PNGmabey a TL????IMG_7841.thumb.PNG.f2976cfaa744b1f1c95fab5dededc8ef.PNG

Although shape wise the TL is close it is actually a slightly smaller cab, more like your modern day DAF LF or Ford Cargo. The only British make that the Britain's cab even slightly resembles would be the Leyland Constructor, but even then you'd have to squint a fair bit!

On 1/9/2019 at 11:00 AM, Tractorman810 said:

Yes funny you say that. I have the old tipper that was my toy as a kid and somehow I snapped the chassis. My dad resorted to araldite, but I think even that has come unbonded now. It’s odd because a very bendy substance and yet it can break, I wasn’t a rough player as a kid honest!! 

I've just glued it on ,after deciding not to rivet it on, with some weird black stuff which Is supposed to stick anything. I will see if it works. I've also been looking at the Britains rspca iveco cargos but there is no way I can afford the prices, I just don't have that money to spend really^_^ 

1 hour ago, Toolbox Tam said:

2D1C7B1A-701A-4A60-97AA-F0FE4FA7E911.jpeg.9765835a7799b48e65754b811f79c1d9.jpeg

The above is is the Club of Four cab , was a Volvo design , used on Iveco , Daf , Renault & Volvo .

The cab on the Britains model , is an original 1970 Design Fiat  , then updated as years went by & became part of the Iveco group product line , as Fiat were a constituent part  of the Iveco group .0A3BE810-52F1-47A2-BDC4-7CD5FA0BD7A5.jpeg.9395221f5017a3a267ea64be11067ff8.jpeg

Cheers for that, I can't remember where I'd read about club of four but I was always suspicious of it, I would imagine it was some nonsense written on that well known font of factual information, Facebook

8 minutes ago, Ferret90 said:

I've just glued it on ,after deciding not to rivet it on, with some weird black stuff which Is supposed to stick anything. I will see if it works. I've also been looking at the Britains rspca iveco cargos but there is no way I can afford the prices, I just don't have that money to spend really^_^ 

The Cargos really seem to have sawed in prices recently!

I've glued the chassis to the bed, and it's worked with some really strong weird black glue but I've tried pulling it off with a fair old bit of force and it is not moving anytime soon so I would say I have been successful :D  also put on a white cab. Just need to make the back door...IMG_5107.thumb.JPG.e17bf2e8d77e4487de85096463b76cb9.JPG

Archived