Britain’s Ford 5000 facelift

Not rally worthy of entry into this section, but I wasn’t sure where else to post this - 

I bought this 5000 at Shepton Mallet on Sunday, all intact and original, but looking a bit tired. The exhaust and air intake were original Britain’s, so I swapped them on to another 5000 I have with repro ones.

Using some Ford blue paint, I have carefully touched in the paint where it was rubbed away and chipped. I also painted the plastic wing parts that represent the back axle and foot plates, this looks quite an improvement I think. Other changes were, silver line around seat, exhaust and air intake painted correct colour, Dynamo, starter and exhaust manifold painted, finally repro rear wheels sprayed Ford grey.

if it had been in better condition I would have left it alone, but I am quite pleased with the result. Indoor nighttime phone pics are a bit poor unfortunately.

DE362CDF-CF23-4DD3-ACA4-3C9912DE38DB.jpeg

112319A1-BD6D-4A7F-A18F-4FE23C47CA30.jpeg

EA957A97-EF87-413F-AA75-EEB057B57B20.jpeg

Unfortunately because it wasn’t very warm in the shed last night, I had a bit of a cock up, drying the paint on the wheels. One was closer to the lamp than the other and it obviously gives out a bit more heat that I expected, as you can see it warped a bit :-(

It will have to stay like it for a while, won’t get to see Brian Norman for another pair until Toytrac I expect.

DB24357A-E9F6-4F54-96ED-B8F9DA231122.jpeg

Really like the footplates well done. I always think its a shame that Britains carried on with the same 36'' wheels that the Major had when making the 5000. They should be 38'' which with slightly deeper tyres would fill the mudguards so much better.

On 1/31/2019 at 12:49 PM, timf said:

Really like the footplates well done. I always think its a shame that Britains carried on with the same 36'' wheels that the Major had when making the 5000. They should be 38'' which with slightly deeper tyres would fill the mudguards so much better.

13.6,12 x 36 was still standard when we had a new 5000 in '67 as we had to pay extra for 13.6,12 x 38's for extra height for the TS83 RANSOMES reversible turning over.(I still have the pricelist somewhere ,also external check chains were extra cost items too). However you're right they would look better & my SCALEdown wheels from our T100 kit look the business.

Archived