Muir Hill 121

7 hours ago, alf aphid said:

Simply...................

......................annoying:D

love it John, I’m sure you are justly proud, cracking job

Cheers Alastair, it's not perfect, but I'm quite pleased with it, i hope it resembles the real thing reasonably well:). Like the Matbro it was done entirely from photographs and it certainly takes longer planning it out and working out all the dimensions than if you could pop round the real thing with a tape measure, but we got there in the end! Trouble is, while I'm finishing this, several more ideas for builds have been rolling around my head.....just what i need!!:D

34 minutes ago, 844john said:

Cheers Alastair, it's not perfect, but I'm quite pleased with it, i hope it resembles the real thing reasonably well:). Like the Matbro it was done entirely from photographs and it certainly takes longer planning it out and working out all the dimensions than if you could pop round the real thing with a tape measure, but we got there in the end! Trouble is, while I'm finishing this, several more ideas for builds have been rolling around my head.....just what i need!!:D

Yes, well I’m no expert on muir hill but it looks proportionally fine to me.  If you could reproduce easily you’d have a few orders! 

Yes I know what you mean my mind is always off to the next before I’ve finished! I ve been finishing off a few scaledown kits that I probably started over 20 years ago lately! 

I need to get back on the matbro, it’s just after a days work and getting the kids into bed, my mind isn’t really fit for working out geometry. I need a couple of wet days on my own just to sit down and power through it! Give it 15 years or so I should be there 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, mb86 said:

Wow that is stunning john, first class work, although it has crossed my mind that you have giant sheep and have placed a real 121 in the field...

Cheers Martin, giant sheep....that could be the way forward...no problems getting my hands and arms in when lambing them!:D

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, mb86 said:

Very impressive, you've captured the tractor perfectly john. Thought you might have bought the one at Ewebank on saturday....:D

Cheers Martin! I never managed to get over in the end, was it a good sale?

15 minutes ago, 844john said:

Cheers Martin! I never managed to get over in the end, was it a good sale?

There was some very nice tractors to see but I only had a look round them for an hour or so then came away as I had too much on to stay all day. Heard a couple of prices, the roadless was bid to £19,500 but didn't sell there was a tidy little low hour 3 pot JD made £4800, someone local bought a restored 3000 for £5600, crawlers were apparently cheap. There was an 1124 that I took a fancy to but don't know what it made. 

4 minutes ago, mb86 said:

There was some very nice tractors to see but I only had a look round them for an hour or so then came away as I had too much on to stay all day. Heard a couple of prices, the roadless was bid to £19,500 but didn't sell there was a tidy little low hour 3 pot JD made £4800, someone local bought a restored 3000 for £5600, crawlers were apparently cheap. There was an 1124 that I took a fancy to but don't know what it made. 

I suppose crawlers aren't everyone's cup of tea due to the logistics of moving them, and you can't take them on a road run! These old tractors are getting to be worth a bit of money now, I was just reading the article in Classic Tractor about the Cowle dispersal sale....£53000 for the 1455, Ford 7810's for £29000 and a silver for £40000.....these things are as good as money in the bank now! 

That's true although if it's just something you want to play with on your own land those crawlers would be cheap fun. Prices are getting ridiculous for nice classics, they are becoming untouchable for for your average farmer who wants to have a working collection like you or me do. It's been mentioned before that there is no tax on Agri machinery so these big prices are perhaps a reflection of that with the other half seeing them as a way to screw everyone who pays their way... The blue 78's are hitting the prices that the silvers were fetching 10/15 years ago. 

23 hours ago, mb86 said:

That's true although if it's just something you want to play with on your own land those crawlers would be cheap fun. Prices are getting ridiculous for nice classics, they are becoming untouchable for for your average farmer who wants to have a working collection like you or me do. It's been mentioned before that there is no tax on Agri machinery so these big prices are perhaps a reflection of that with the other half seeing them as a way to screw everyone who pays their way... The blue 78's are hitting the prices that the silvers were fetching 10/15 years ago. 

There was another 1455 at a farm sale fairly local yesterday apparently made £40000 or there about.....people must be buying these as investments rather than to use. There's an interesting article in classic tractor about restoration, the gist being that if you can't afford the prices these tractors are fetching, buy a rough example and do a running restoration on it, there by spreading the cost over a number of years. Although it's a good way for a collector to go, it still doesn't solve the problem for those looking to buy a reliable working tractor for daily use, then you are looking at the better examples and this puts you into the same realms of what the collectors are now looking at.

classics have been high prices for a while now, our old mf 1250 appeared in ct mag a while back(  5 years odd now maybe more ) with its new owner in norfolk who got it at the farm sale, paid 4000 odd for her, that was 8 odd years before the article, in that he had already turned down an offer of 30000 apparently from a collector , not sure if he still owns her, but bar a tool box added it was factory original,  no rust just faded paint. 

4 hours ago, 844john said:

There was another 1455 at a farm sale fairly local yesterday apparently made £40000 or there about.....people must be buying these as investments rather than to use. There's an interesting article in classic tractor about restoration, the gist being that if you can't afford the prices these tractors are fetching, buy a rough example and do a running restoration on it, there by spreading the cost over a number of years. Although it's a good way for a collector to go, it still doesn't solve the problem for those looking to buy a reliable working tractor for daily use, then you are looking at the better examples and this puts you into the same realms of what the collectors are now looking at.

I think I saw that sale advertised, was it over Consett way? It's a fair old risk paying top or even record prices for a tractor and expecting it to appreciate further.

1 hour ago, mb86 said:

I think I saw that sale advertised, was it over Consett way? It's a fair old risk paying top or even record prices for a tractor and expecting it to appreciate further.

I believe it was over that way Martin. You're right, you want to be in at the bottom and out just before the bubble bursts.....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 844john said:

I believe it was over that way Martin. You're right, you want to be in at the bottom and out just before the bubble bursts.....

west minsteracres farm , it over looks the Derwent reservoir. we been working near it , when I saw it my very words was "dear santa" 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, dm434 said:

west minsteracres farm , it over looks the Derwent reservoir. we been working near it , when I saw it my very words was "dear santa" 

Maybe it should be "dear bank manager....":D

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 844john said:

Maybe it should be "dear bank manager....":D

Hmmm now how could I explain those monthly repayments to to wife without getting something thrown at my head :D

• Haha 3