Herron H1 9t Trailer

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Kirely said:

Any progress?

Hi Kieran, sorry not much progress lately due to school and the good weather outside which has been good for landscaping work. I have made a few prototypes for the centre rocking bogies, just trying to make them strong enough and cheaply enough. I've exams next week then I'm free for the rest of the summer so I hope to get it done ASAP. 

On 5/22/2019 at 11:50 AM, Laois 1:32 said:

Hi Kieran, sorry not much progress lately due to school and the good weather outside which has been good for landscaping work. I have made a few prototypes for the centre rocking bogies, just trying to make them strong enough and cheaply enough. I've exams next week then I'm free for the rest of the summer so I hope to get it done ASAP. 

Good luck with the exams! Better get your priorities right !;)

• 2 weeks later...

Grain sides and door all made, now making silage door to go with the silage sides I have also made. Still have to attach silage sides securely. Will get them hanging and the ram for tipping in place when  I get home at the end of the week.

6 hours ago, Stabliofarmer said:

Coming together now! What material have you used?

I have used cuttings of old intrumisent strips of fire doors for the chassis, they were the best I could get at the time and they did alright but I wont be using them again as they are hard to drill into and cut. I then used 300gsm grade card for the body which works alright but can fray if it is cut too small. I hope to get using plastruct for some of my next models.

Silage door made and toolbox made and added. Ready for hinging the doors and getting the ram in place as well as some red paint when I get home from holidays on Wednesday. (Brought this project with me on holidays so I could get a better chance of getting it done)

20190616_170147(0).jpg

Great to see someone else working with card. You may find if you paint it with aerosols the card edges won't paint as well as the paper backed sides. This is because all the fibres in the card are absorbing the paint. The way I combat this is to seal all the edges with super thin cheap super glue, the type you get at poundland in a pack of 3 10g bottles. PVA glue will do the same job, just takes longer to set rather than being instant like super glue is.

5 hours ago, Stabliofarmer said:

Great to see someone else working with card. You may find if you paint it with aerosols the card edges won't paint as well as the paper backed sides. This is because all the fibres in the card are absorbing the paint. The way I combat this is to seal all the edges with super thin cheap super glue, the type you get at poundland in a pack of 3 10g bottles. PVA glue will do the same job, just takes longer to set rather than being instant like super glue is.

Thanks James, I do hope to seal the edges and possibly most of the card as it is relatively weak and I think the glue will help to stiffen it a wee bit and allow the paint to take to it better. Will keep you posted. 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived