John Deere 730

Hi Ok so as the matbro draws to completion time to look for the next project. Another childhood memory from back home on the island, below are photos my dad fortunately took for me as a kid! Luckily a square on side and front view, however could still do with a bit of assistance. 

Does anyone please have any material that may help me dimensionally, I don’t have a brochure to hand here. 

any help much appreciated! 

6B5C1113-5F09-42CE-BBBE-F52A69678209.jpeg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, 844john said:

Looks like you're up for a challenge Alastair! These are all I could find, but they do have the basic dimensions on, which i suppose is a start!

Brilliant John, many thanks! Knew I could count on you to come up with the goods,  you’re right it’s a start, I think finding one to measure could be tricky! 

Yes I suppose it could be tricky, I was working on it being no worse than a matbro!! But could I be wrong?

Interesting build alastair, to be honest i never found a real one for any of my 3 especially the lely , so i worked from the dimensions of the brochure  , Drew a scaled down set of boxes , front, back and both sides , and drew the combine into them , the pics will be out there even vids , but hunting them down can be as hard as building the machine 

38 minutes ago, Tractorman810 said:

Interesting build alastair, to be honest i never found a real one for any of my 3 especially the lely , so i worked from the dimensions of the brochure  , Drew a scaled down set of boxes , front, back and both sides , and drew the combine into them , the pics will be out there even vids , but hunting them down can be as hard as building the machine 

You are right Sean, there is not a great deal out there that is instantly apparent, and of course they are rare beasts now

2 hours ago, alf aphid said:

You are right Sean, there is not a great deal out there that is instantly apparent, and of course they are rare beasts now

This any good Alastair,??

http://www.agrister.com/combines/john-deere-md-730

https://www.mascus.com/agriculture/used-combine-harvesters/john-deere-730/ijcfef4g.html

Regards

Joe.

3 hours ago, alf aphid said:

I found more pics of the lely on flickr than google , i guess because its old  and early on in the internet in terms of platforms available when the last of them were still working and pics taken, some were dated as ild as 1990 uploaded in 2000 .   

13 hours ago, catkom3 said:

Many thanks Joe. Yes I think it’s going to be a slow process of building little bits of info here and there and a lot of eye work!!

12 hours ago, Tractorman810 said:

I found more pics of the lely on flickr than google , i guess because its old  and early on in the internet in terms of platforms available when the last of them were still working and pics taken, some were dated as ild as 1990 uploaded in 2000 .   

Good point I’ll have a go on that thanks Sean 

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, mb86 said:

Scaledown?

I had wondered that, I think it’s only a solid rim though isn’t it? Maybe the only way have to cut centre out. Some of the siku rear tractor wheels wouldn’t be far wrong but ugly tyres and would still need a lot of work

1 hour ago, alf aphid said:

I had wondered that, I think it’s only a solid rim though isn’t it? Maybe the only way have to cut centre out. Some of the siku rear tractor wheels wouldn’t be far wrong but ugly tyres and would still need a lot of work

Possibly yes although Nigel had a selection of wheels that aren't commonly used in his kits, it could be worth an email as he is very helpful. Don't think I've noticed anything like that from artisan32 

2 hours ago, Tractorman810 said:

they look a bit like some of the early uh mc mormrick  front wheels hubs design wise, What sort of diameter and width does that work out to in 32nd scale ?? 

Just a shade under 24mm I reckon 

2 hours ago, Puff of Logic said:

No the Scaledown 14 x 30 are slotted , here are a few photos , these were purchased very recently . 

Also a photo of wheel from a Norev Senator , these look similar to ones in top photo F2A8FA80-65CF-44E1-8C92-E27147D1A5B8.thumb.jpeg.5a1933e79bf84e805240974764c17a1f.jpeg6931860B-441D-4F3E-8BC9-F2EE485B019F.thumb.jpeg.49106920da693cdc647f56f8d81cb1e2.jpeg6A90BE56-EC46-4289-93B9-015FD2ACCDF5.thumb.jpeg.117cf2f7887a2afc9505e7fe17cce982.jpeg

Ah thanks Puff. They actually look pretty close don’t they, I had thought of the senator ones but a bit of an expensive project to buy just for wheels. 

Those scaledown are looking a strong prospect 

4 hours ago, SPN said:

You will get those wheels on the Norev Senator, UH Jaguar, and either the Weise or UH Deutz D 06 models

Many thanks, yes there are a few harvesters about that are suitable, it’s just the cost of buying to break only for wheels which I struggle with a bit 

4 hours ago, SPN said:

You will get those wheels on the Norev Senator, UH Jaguar, and either the Weise or UH Deutz D 06 models

That said, the jag is quite affordable and i dare say some other useable bits on it too. Thanks for the thought 

• 9 months later...

Can I have some opinions below on the header width please. I’m not saying anything at this stage , only that I keep going round and round in circles in trying to work it out. 

Thoughts please 

01BBF97A-4D18-4DF8-AD69-05D28A61E97E.jpeg

Hi Alastair,

looking at the brochure pictures above - the 630 looks to be on a 10ft cut, and it is only 2 sections, therefore your pictures would suggest it has to be a minimum of 12ft given it is 3 sections, but pretty sure it doesn't look wide enough for a 14ft. So by elimination - my money would be on 12ft cut. Also if you do a Google image search for JD combines of this era (630's/730's or the slightly later 960/970's) where it states the header size - count the tines across the width - and compare with your picture, (which looks to to have about 21 tines) you can then confirm the width. 

6 hours ago, JEP said:

Hi Alastair,

looking at the brochure pictures above - the 630 looks to be on a 10ft cut, and it is only 2 sections, therefore your pictures would suggest it has to be a minimum of 12ft given it is 3 sections, but pretty sure it doesn't look wide enough for a 14ft. So by elimination - my money would be on 12ft cut. Also if you do a Google image search for JD combines of this era (630's/730's or the slightly later 960/970's) where it states the header size - count the tines across the width - and compare with your picture, (which looks to to have about 21 tines) you can then confirm the width. 

Hi John 

I came to the same conclusion that it must be 12 foot however when I draw it up it looks too wide in relation to the combine.  Trouble is I’m having to guess that a bit too as I don’t have the real machine to measure ! I’ll carry on hunting, but thanks for your thoughts. I think you are right......

Whats the width of the thing on the front wheels alistair? To be honest it does look more than 10 ft from that pic, it  does stick out past the wheels . But if your drawing is to scale , and looks wrong it prob is going by any brochure info your using . Your also In the position where that pic could have a newer header on it , added a few years later . As headers kept getting bigger every year in those days , still do now i guess . Does the brouchure list anything in it?  When you get to stuff this old its hellish hard to be sure whats original on them pics wise when you hunt the web, and very few will exist any more as well

Archived