UH David Brown 1490

Just wondering if anyone can advise me on the best way to remove the cab,bonnet and rear wheels  from the 1490. I want to convert it to a Case highways 1394 with loader, so will have to respray in yellow. We run one here and it looks as though the wheels from Britains 1210 are a close match design wise and spot on for size.Will the Britains  wheels just pull off the axle?

Will have to put a straight exhaust on and move fuel filler infront of left hand steps. It will also need a hinged nose cone guard. New decals,some rust and job hopefully done! Not sure I am brave enough to get rear window open, tips appreciated.Will post photos when done.

Paddy if its like 99% of uh models it will be to prise the bonnet upwards,a very very thin flat headed screwdriver between the front weight holder and bottom lip of nose cone,then the wheels pull off quite easily, just twist,that should show some screws holding the cab on under the rear mudguards and there should be a tab at the bottom of the windscreen,held by a screw,as for the britains rear wheels they are allways gits to get off,pulling and twisting sometimes does not budge them,so best of luck there.

Edited by Paul Palmer
spelling mistake
  • Thanks 1

Phase 1 complete. I disassembled the 1210 i.e all screws out, that gave me a clear steady pull/twist on the wheels. 1 came away, put axle stub in vice and vertical pull had the other off. Thanks for support guys.

20190607_202810.jpg

• Like 2

1490 bonnet stripped this morning. Exhaust & air cleaner held with dab of glue which came away with small amount of paint. If your're not respraying it is inconvenient. I used a small roll pin punch and hammer to tap everything through leaving locating pins in ok condition for remounting. Laid bonnet on gardening glove to prevent damage.20190608_075707.thumb.jpg.5641340817eda315bac56e0cab774673.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks James, getting towards the fiddly stuff now,think I'm going to have to build a new front grill as the headlights on my 1394 are at the top which was an option for tractors with loaders, not much use in real life, have to rely on cab lights in the winter.

Hi paddy where abouts in north shropshire are you

Your case 1394 only ever had headlights in the top on the black bar that has tje case logo as standard 

Shame as uh are releaseing the 1494 with those headlights in the top just how you want yours i do like the britains 1412 reas on yours 

Oswestry market had a 1394 like yours

• Like 1

Hi Nige, not too far from Whitchurch, used to be on the border at Bronington.

Not sure on my front grill then, see photo.

Look forward to uh 1494, have to take a mould off their grill if I struggle with this one, must rehang the real one also!

The one here spent time on a salt spreader so not too pretty and got daubed with primrose yellow as a preserver. Does the job though.

20190609_180445.jpg

• Like 3

On 6/7/2019 at 7:36 PM, Paul Palmer said:

here is a picture of a mf chassis I sprayed ages ago,ive rung the 2 pins that hold the bonnet on,most uh are like this Paddy

5685135e1640a_mf690002.thumb.JPG.56b90ad6d7a9a26c52d945ad9952bd74_LI.jpg

Hi Paul,

Just wondering what the best way is to prepare engine/skid unit to take new paint, just concerned if I use paint stripper I won't be able to get it all back off.

• Like 1

Thanks Paul. I've just been in the shed experimenting with a 1490 wheel after failing with matt humbrol & plasticote. Cleaned off with turps which dulled wheel down & then tried brake cleaner followed by a quick wash off. Tried Halfords primer 1 side & Hycote temperature the other, both adhering well so far. Car acrylic primer total failure, shrank back immediately.

20190609_192200.jpg

20190609_192146.jpg

20190609_214435.jpg

20190609_214521.jpg

• Like 1

Hello again the holes in the bottom grille were always there even on the case and case ih 94s they would normaly be blanked out with a shiny black pice of perspex  our case ih 1394 had david brown stamped everywhere chassis engine and exhaust im guessing your case was one of the first after they dropped the name david brown 

But they are a good tractor and good on fuel i find them better than the 1494 especialy the synchro box i miss my D reg 1394