UH David Brown 1490

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keep her going or sell her to me ha ha 

You could make the loader for when the case is available ild have to loose the weights on  1994 if shes to be a loader tractor 

Paddy whats the final drives like on that universal hobbies 1490 coz if u cut them you could turn them clockwise 15 Degrees and convert her into a hi clear for crop spraying

Also mate i dont know how long that case 1494 will take to be released 

Done some more at it tonight, nearly ready for paint. Found paint code for Highway yellow BS 356, think this translates to RAL 1004 Golden yellow. Would prefer an aerosol. Any leads on sourcing the paint appreciated. 

Nige you'll have have a look at it when done, not sure I'm upto a crop sprayer yet!

If you have the RAL code then your local car body supply shop should be able to mix up an aerosol for you. My local does them but they cost £14 a can. I found Halfords Vaxuhall Mustard Yellow on top of a grey primer a reasonable match for Highways Yellow (attached photo is in that blistering heat and sunshine of last summer, in normal light its a deeper/duller yellow)

IMG_20190613_062701.jpg.f5d29e776acdb375cb5eaa09543fc3af.jpg

• 1 month later...

It's been a while but the 1394 is ready to go back together. Still some detailing to do and generic loader will need fettling but be nice to get it back in 1 piece. 

20190721_072451.jpg

20190721_072537.jpg

20190721_072258.jpg

Thanks guys, been a bit of a drawn out process, just finding time at the moment. Weathering wise Ted, I'm a novice on the subject but will tone the wheels down and try a wash around the engine/backend. Might practice small rust pockets on some scrap 1st to see how I go on. 

• 4 weeks later...

Well it's taken awhile but I've had a free day after the dentist pulled 4 knashers & advised I go easy. 

Can a 1490 become a 1394? Scale wise the model should be about 3mm shorter on the wheelbase & 5 mm lower to the top of the mudguard or thereabouts from measuring the 1394 here. I can live with that for now. I'm reluctant to sacrifice my only 996 to experiment further!

It's been invaluable having the real thing available for reference so here's a short list of what I changed/made to help anyone considering a conversion;

Inside cab...interior painted light grey, range levers & loader levers added plus Britains milk tanker driver.

Moved fuel filler, put steps square, put on Britains 1412 rear wheels (wheel rears needed grinding out and axle bushing to fit), made round exhaust, moved headlights to top, filled top grill, used rear worklights on cab, made number plate, opened up rear window with stays.

Used a generic Britains  loader, short cut for now, should only have 1 underslung crowding ram & different mounts. Piped up the loader. Added loader guards at front & back of bonnet. Added power steering ram & grabs for steps.

Paint as kindly suggested  by Stablio Farmer is Halfords Vauxhall  mustard yellow, a perfect match to the original  colour when compared to what is left of the original paint on the one here which a previous owner overcoated with Primrose Yellow.

Thanks to everyone for their help & encouragement  along the way, Paul Palmer & Ferret 90 for showing me how to pull one apart, & Stablio Farmer saving hours of angst choosing  a paint colour. Reference paint I used Tamiya grey primer which went on well. Decals downloaded of the web, sized up in Word & printed on normal paper as real ones not exactly factory fresh.

Enough said, here's the result. Had a play with some static grass along the way.

IMG_0691.JPG

IMG_0712.JPG

IMG_0714.JPG

IMG_0686.JPG

IMG_0692.JPG

IMG_0696.JPG

IMG_0702.JPG

IMG_0694.JPG

IMG_0687.JPG

IMG_0701.JPG

IMG_0708.JPG

IMG_0716.JPG

IMG_0681.JPG

IMG_0710.JPG

IMG_0703.JPG

IMG_0706.JPG

IMG_0711.JPG

IMG_0697.JPG

IMG_0705.JPG

IMG_0707.JPG

IMG_0677.JPG

IMG_0718.JPG

IMG_0720.JPG

8 minutes ago, Awdmac said:

Made me realise I need to tidy up the real one, funny how photo's accentuate the scruffiness of it!

In that case it is a good job you weathered the model, otherwise you'd be booking her in for a full restoration :D

Archived