International 84 / 85 series

42 minutes ago, IH885XLMAN said:

John you need to speak to rory day and get these builds in classic tractor mate 

It's not really my sort of thing to be honest Nigel. Anyway, I  think I bore enough people on here with them without subjecting a wider audience to them!:D

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, 844john said:

It's not really my sort of thing to be honest Nigel. Anyway, I  think I bore enough people on here with them without subjecting a wider audience to them!:D

you dont bore people john , you may p*** them a bit  of with your amazing skills mind :D:D. just wondering, are you going to take a cast of the mf1200 wheel ?? if so i may be intrested in a couple of pairs to remake one i got as scrap a while back, got the tyres with it but they had the hubs away 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tractorman810 said:

you dont bore people john , you may p*** them a bit  of with your amazing skills mind :D:D. just wondering, are you going to take a cast of the mf1200 wheel ?? if so i may be intrested in a couple of pairs to remake one i got as scrap a while back, got the tyres with it but they had the hubs away 

Well spotted there Sean! Yes, I'm intending to cast them as they're the same as the wider wheel option on these nashes, and funnily enough i bought a 1200 a few years back without any wheels so i can replace them as well. I was just mulling over whether to cast them separate or as a whole as i do seem to get a lot of air bubbles in my tyres when using the rubber, but maybe I'm doing something wrong? Either way, there'll be a couple of extra pairs done;)

4 hours ago, 844john said:

Well spotted there Sean! Yes, I'm intending to cast them as they're the same as the wider wheel option on these nashes, and funnily enough i bought a 1200 a few years back without any wheels so i can replace them as well. I was just mulling over whether to cast them separate or as a whole as i do seem to get a lot of air bubbles in my tyres when using the rubber, but maybe I'm doing something wrong? Either way, there'll be a couple of extra pairs done;)

Any milking equipement on the farm John,if so you could rig up a vacuum chamber to remove the air bubbles,?? Or one of these,never seen this video before,might be handy for anyone casting small parts,https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Uc_xWgl1ZI

Regards

Joe.

Edited by catkom3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, catkom3 said:

Any milking equipement on the farm John,if so you could rig up a vacuum chamber to remove the air bubbles,?? Or one of these,never seen this video before,might be handy for anyone casting small parts,https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Uc_xWgl1ZI

Regards

Joe.

Thanks Joe, will watch that later, looks a useful bit of kit! Ours used to be a small dairy farm, but that was many years ago now, none of the kit left I'm afraid

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, catkom3 said:

Regards

Joe.

Very handy little video there Joe, Ive found a few of my moulds recently have failed after fewer casts than they should, and it has been due to micro air bubbles in the silicone. This looks like a very cheap method to degas it, cheers!

As everyone else has said John, fantastic work! Your speed is impressive, even working full time on models I don't think I could keep up with your output!

• Thanks 1

I've watched the video thanks Joe, but I'll be honest I've no idea how you would use such a thing when your casting, hopefully someone can help me understand....I'm probably just being a bit thick!

• Thanks 1

Not thick John, just learning like we all do, resin casting isn't exactly classed as a general knowledge topic! You place your silicone in the chamber, and then draw the vacuum, this pulls the air bubbles out of the silicone before you pour it, which is the same thing as when you pour the silicone in a thin stream from a height to break up the air bubbles. It's less common to degas resin or casting rubber as they have much shorter pot lives so by the time you've faffed about degassing the stuffs set solid. For resin it is common to pour the resin into the mould then place the mould in a pressure pot chamber and allow it to cure under pressure, which compresses the air bubbles so that they are too small to notice.

1 hour ago, Stabliofarmer said:

Not thick John, just learning like we all do, resin casting isn't exactly classed as a general knowledge topic! You place your silicone in the chamber, and then draw the vacuum, this pulls the air bubbles out of the silicone before you pour it, which is the same thing as when you pour the silicone in a thin stream from a height to break up the air bubbles. It's less common to degas resin or casting rubber as they have much shorter pot lives so by the time you've faffed about degassing the stuffs set solid. For resin it is common to pour the resin into the mould then place the mould in a pressure pot chamber and allow it to cure under pressure, which compresses the air bubbles so that they are too small to notice.

Ah, thanks James, with you now!;) Maybe I've just been lucky but the moulds tend not to be much of an issue, it's when I'm casting rubber tyres that i get the problems with often large air bubbles on the underside of the tyre leaving them unusable, I'm probably running at a 50% success rate at best, hence why I'm pondering going back to casting the whole wheel in resin

18 minutes ago, mb86 said:

Brilliant john, I'm looking forward to seeing them all lined up when finished. Did you say something about an update on the blue one...

Thanks Martin, yes, I meant to take a few pics of them this morning but i ended up getting waylaid, will make that a priority tomorrow;)

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, 844john said:

Thanks Martin, yes, I meant to take a few pics of them this morning but i ended up getting waylaid, will make that a priority tomorrow;)

That is easy done this time of year, or any for that matter. Excellent I'll await them with baited breath!

10 hours ago, Janval said:

I had put the thoughts of casting myself off for quite a while now, shame on you @844john for firing those thoughts back up again :D Looks very good, and very fun!

Sorry Jan.......but you know you want to! Trouble is, it can be dangerous, normally I might have a couple of things that I'm working on at the same time.....now that I'm using the casts there's 14 tractors in various stages on my bench!!:o

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, 844john said:

Sorry Jan.......but you know you want to! Trouble is, it can be dangerous, normally I might have a couple of things that I'm working on at the same time.....now that I'm using the casts there's 14 tractors in various stages on my bench!!:o

Sounds dangerous, my shelves are already filled with stand stills. I'll try and get the grips of what I need to start casting.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, 844john said:

and the start of the next batch while the paint hardens on the others, IH 684 2wd, 785 4wd, Case 685 4wd and Case 4230 L cab 4wd

WP_20190801_18_21_13_Pro.jpg

WP_20190801_18_21_48_Pro.jpg

WP_20190801_18_21_34_Pro.jpg

Yet another Nash I used to drive , brilliant 

• Like 1