Aarons Covnversions/ Scratchbuilds

Centre line on the bonnet added, some small tweaks still to make on it to get it perfect. Should be able to keep the original engine in place, with some tweaks to the cooling pack to make it sit lower, hopefully get the bonnet opening properly as well to bring it all together 

7CA4FD71-23ED-449E-9A62-A8B1E932F391.jpeg

47559BA5-3386-4C82-8187-4C5A1B8BF7C6.jpeg

9E951063-580E-4CD2-889B-EC5D780397FB.jpeg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The rear wheels on the Wiking 7430 model are based on R42s, 6030 series Deeres were only available with R38 rims.  You may get the bonnet right but the whole tractor needs to drop down to look right as presently its sitting too high, the problem is the 7000 is a larger frame than the 6000.  Personally If I were hellbent on doing a 6930 I would use the Siku 6020 machine and try to adapt that using the Wiking Cab and fenders if possible, plus the Wiking front axle but with smaller front wheels diametre wise, 6920 siku wheels always looked oversized to me whereas the rears were spot on..   Many have tried to do the conversion from a 7 to a 6 but as of yet none have looked totally right in my honest opinion.

Ah, already ahead of you there, that was this afternoon noons job, cabs been dropped slightly, wanted to get the bonnet fairly close to try and use as a reference so I knew how far to come down. Just mocked up for now, still have the steps etc to sort then some proper wheels. 

65DF0F85-1C61-407C-BBAF-50FC050A7CB5.jpeg

3428E130-8AD6-4A01-9389-9EA61620D450.jpeg

On 4/3/2020 at 11:59 PM, alf aphid said:

Good job Aaron, just seen your Z series, I’m part way through one of those too!

Cheers, always remember having one growing up, so quite fancied a properly done one. 

little bit more done today on the 6930. Bonnet tweaked a little and an artisan32 front linkage cut and widened to fit over the chassis 

AB7DB3C0-B12D-417E-98B7-0F7EF63AF6E2.jpeg

5E4434A6-CF4C-44CF-9FDA-24C4F2318947.jpeg

liking that a lot ,some proper hard work gone into the bonnet which was always everyone gripe when they came out .is that a brass moulding you have added behind the front linkage? dont recal a artisan kit that long on the frame side of it.. as for the wheels ,yes they may well have been 38’s most of the time, but according to my uncle ,a jd mechanic/ fitter for the last 40 odd years ,  they also sold a lot with the 42’s ,it was certainly an option, although  most were sold around the last or 2 year or so of the 20 series.

Thanks, lot of tweaking on the bonnet still to do around the grills, not quite happy with the fit yet, few small gaps I’d like filled better. Front links are completely standard from about the front of the bonnet back. I cut out the old top cross brace and built up a new one to add a couple of mm width to allow the plates to run along the side of the chassis as they should, this had to be done on the bottom section that holds the arms as well. Most people seem to cut the side plates off when doing the convo, overall the original linkage is the same width as the chassis, would save a lot of work just cutting the plates off and offering it straight up. I’d rather mess about cutting it up though, not a lot else to do at the minute! 

On 4/5/2020 at 7:19 PM, Tractorman810 said:

ah makes sense now, i think what also threw me is you have sanded all the paint of the chassis sides as well, makes it look like a new bits been added 

Wanted to make sure I didn’t lose any of the detail on the chassis, hence stripped the paint to make sure the holes etc were clear after painting. 

Bit more done, everything’s been reprayed and started rebuilding it. Cabs been changed back to the 6 poster type. Plenty of work still to do

574916FC-14E8-493A-83E9-B23BC0C3D473.jpeg

2C85F2E5-A9A5-44E6-83FB-FD66AADB231C.jpeg

BAED7CE7-A39B-4330-88FD-4706E92938A2.jpeg

B5597AEE-69C3-412B-9057-1A12120CCD65.jpeg

2 hours ago, pistol pete said:

very tidy like the bonnet are you going to cast more i have a half built 6820 i will need to finish now i have the time with this lock down.

I second that.............i've a half build JD that needs one of these bonnets :)

Thanks for the kind words chaps. 

As for casting/ selling copies of the bonnets, it’s something I’ve considered, I’ve got another one made, but want to tweak the fit of the grills slightly on it, it would be the master copy. I’d originally wanted to go down the 3d scanning route, but it’s 3 figures to just get it scanned to a 3D model, but would allow me to run them off myself on the resin printer as I needed them. Looking for somebody to cast them for me at the minute, could do it myself, but not sure I could make a job of it, I’d need three of them myself minimum I guess. If I do get some cast up I’ll let anybody interested in one know. 

This is the build as it is at the minute, pretty much done bar decals and some little details

49B33839-88A1-40E0-AB27-1B146ACB74E0.jpeg

69AC9699-D0E6-4E1D-B5B8-DEF764FBAE95.jpeg

2C1F4724-F514-4FF9-8B8A-7A70C2118793.jpeg

Just how much has it cost you for parts and time to create your 6930 Aaron?  Im guessing that even at £10 hr it would be north of £500!!

Does anyone else remember Wikings original silver prototype 6930 that actually was a 6930 with the right bonnet and the more popular 6 post cab?  Why they couldn't have made both a genuine 6930 as per that prototype and then a rightly badged 7530 is beyond me, they would have  been huge sellers.

35 minutes ago, bluegreen said:

Just how much has it cost you for parts and time to create your 6930 Aaron?  Im guessing that even at £10 hr it would be north of £500!!

Does anyone else remember Wikings original silver prototype 6930 that actually was a 6930 with the right bonnet and the more popular 6 post cab?  Why they couldn't have made both a genuine 6930 as per that prototype and then a rightly badged 7530 is beyond me, they would have  been huge sellers.

The base model came out of an eBay parts bin years ago, the donor bonnet I already had, same for the wheels, all I really had to buy was the front arms. Realistically the majority of the work has been in the bonnet, maybe 5 hours on the actual tractor, probably the same again on the bonnet, maybe a little more, an hour here and there, hard to count It all up! But I’m not interested in what it’s cost, it’s distraction from the day job writing software, let’s the eyes relax from the screen for a while, almost like a therapy. Plus when you consider I plan to reproduce the bonnet and reuse for a few other builds it drops that cost massively. I can see where you’re coming from though, as a one off for a customer it would be a non starter. 

Does anybody happen to have some pics of that original silver prototype? Would be interesting to see, a quick google didn’t turn anything up 

Right chaps, after a second opinion, wasn’t quite happy with the first master, so did some fiddling about with the original wiking one and came up with this - Siku top on a wiking bottom. Opinions? Fits on the grills are a lot neater, and have the correct inserts for them cast in, but thinking the front shape at the top could be slightly off? All in the interest of getting it as close as I can! 

0BF7F251-2706-4EF6-BF5E-565E1E121895.jpeg

953AD0CD-7C67-4229-8236-C7988845F78A.jpeg

To my eyes I agree with you Aaron on the front shape above the front grille,only very slightly though.Both are very good but I like the shape of the first one if that helps you :D

I remember the silver wiking prototype photo would be good to find.

i see what you mean about the top, the line that runs the length seems to curve down at the end i to the front grill, and theres almost what looks like a small lip/overhang at the top of the grill above that line  ? unless me eyes are deceiving me, i am getting on now :D . but its hard to tell on the real one for sure ,i think you had right on your first one?, .either way you have done some serious work on both of them, and either is a dam sight better than the original thats for sure 

459A2621-5EC1-4EFD-8106-CE3FD826ABE9.jpeg

Archived