Martins New Holland 641 and 651 muck spreaders.

Hello all after a long break I'm back at the models, I hope you all had a good Christmas and new year.

I'm just poking about with a few of Martin's outstanding orders. Making good progress on the 641 barrel spreader. Such an intricate build ! Heres some pics from the brochure and my progress pics... I've never attempted a barrel spreader before from scratch, well non that I can remember anyway :D

I just need to fab up an opening latch system similar ones fitted to my Howard conversions, realistic rotor and as for main parts that's it. Other than that I will just fill in the gaps with the finer details and itll be ready for paint. 

received_2578543155763081.jpeg

received_731590360687530.jpeg

received_583613309045650.jpeg

received_431238281151425.jpeg

received_1437547829728704.jpeg

received_2537410596340190.jpeg

received_550458419110232.jpeg

received_1554271504713113.jpeg

received_573740493398968.jpeg

received_418098068872777.jpeg

received_408646333351548.jpeg

20200123_170606.jpg

20200123_170612.jpg

20200123_170632.jpg

Looking brilliant so far Sam mate, very neat work as usual. Can't be many of those spreaders left now, I know my dad said our contractor went through a few at the time but I've seen very few nowadays, they will look right at home on the back of one of my 1000 series Fords as per the brochure pics. 

5 minutes ago, mb86 said:

Looking brilliant so far Sam mate, very neat work as usual. Can't be many of those spreaders left now, I know my dad said our contractor went through a few at the time but I've seen very few nowadays, they will look right at home on the back of one of my 1000 series Fords as per the brochure pics. 

Glad you like it mate, I'm really pleased with it. Taking it's time but I'm getting through it. Really looking forward to seeing it on one of your Tab master pieces. Will be nice to have the 2 sizes there an all. 

Cant say I knew they existed If I'm honest, around us we had the 100 and 150 Howard's, dowesdall, Kidd and that was about it from what I can remember. If I'm honest when I was a kid the rear discharge stuff was slowly coming in taking over the dual spreaders that the local contractors had in our area. 

No worries, I knew it was a slow burner when we first discussed it. Plenty of Howard's round here as well. First spreader I can remember here is a bamford that dad had for a lot of years, it was a well built spreader, really thick barrel, never had any paint on as long as I can remember but lasted years then when we had a bigger tractor we went on to hiring a twin axle Marshall, think the model number was 10.5, seemed massive compared to ours, then hired in k2 10 tonner before the current Richard Western was bought about 12 or 13 years back

Make sure they are the right length Sam, we wouldn't want them clattering the nice paintwork when it goes on. There is a farm up the road, and to say he isn't mechanically minded would be putting it politely. When he is out with his barrel spreader it sounds like the Taliban are coming over the hill in their battered hilux's letting rip with their ak-47's

51 minutes ago, mb86 said:

Make sure they are the right length Sam, we wouldn't want them clattering the nice paintwork when it goes on. There is a farm up the road, and to say he isn't mechanically minded would be putting it politely. When he is out with his barrel spreader it sounds like the Taliban are coming over the hill in their battered hilux's letting rip with their ak-47's

Brilliant Haha made my day ha ha! ! Thats a very distinctive noise! Wants a link taking out by the sounds of it. And not just one at that! :D It could of been worse... a chap called Jack I went to agri engineering college with stood on his unprottected Howard pto shaft to get something through the back window, only problem was the PTO was in gear....

What, when, how, why and all the rest was exactly what we was all asking ourselves. I think it's fair to say some people are best left to watch from the gate. 

I think it was a case of miscommunication between him and his brother but I do fail to see how :/ 

8 hours ago, mb86 said:

Years ago we used to have a neighbour who was exactly the same, we always said when he was out spreading it sounded like the scene from Zulu when they're all stood on the hill top hitting their shields with their spears! Funny thing is, I bought his spreader from him with the remainder of my grant after my first term at uni (I was a sensible student, now I'd say I was boring;)!) and the barrel was a bit shiny in places but it wasn't really damaged...in fact we still have it now, but it's been a good few years since its had any muck in it!

12 hours ago, Fenside MF said:

great builds Sam,one of the more interesting models I've liked on here of late compared to all the mass produced euro crud getting released.

Cheers mate appreciate that, seems to be quiet this section of the forum lately I check most days for updates. But as you say the mass produced stuff is in the light. 

• 3 weeks later...

And here we have the pesky 641 complete. What a nightmare it turned out to be, so very complicated little model. I think the lack of room to work with made things allot more difficult. But I've done it and I'm happy with it, now onto it's bigger brother the 651 to accompany It in Martin's collection. 

20200217_114409.jpg

20200217_114418.jpg

20200217_114316.jpg

20200217_114328.jpg

20200217_114343.jpg

5 hours ago, mb86 said:

:o:wub::wub:  fantastic work Sam mate. Really neat and tidy, be a shame to fill it with shi... Err, you know what. 

Haha it's a real shame mate, glad you like it. I'm pleased which is rare :D

1 hour ago, 844john said:

I like that Sam! As Martin said, a very neat and tidy job.

Cheers mate. Glad you like her John nice little spreader on one of your nash's 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived