1/32 Bailey TB16 Grain and Silage Trailers

Overwhelmed by the responses to this topic, thank you! 

I think sharing info like this is vital to expanding the hobby. It was in depth step by step topics that allowed me to learn in the first place. 

On 6/26/2020 at 12:27 AM, Fenside MF said:

Any chance of you selling kits at all James?

Sadly not Jamie, to make a kit for something like this is as much work as making the finished articles. 

4 hours ago, Stabliofarmer said:

I think sharing info like this is vital to expanding the hobby. It was in depth step by step topics that allowed me to learn in the first place. 

Sadly not Jamie, to make a kit for something like this is as much work as making the finished articles. 

I was thinking along the lines of a bare bones kit as you get back from your printer, no tailgate rams and tipping rams supplied etc more for the advanced modeller,only asking as they are really good trailers James

5 hours ago, Stabliofarmer said:

How about creating and selling stl files,??

Regards

Joe.

11 hours ago, Fenside MF said:

I was thinking along the lines of a bare bones kit as you get back from your printer, no tailgate rams and tipping rams supplied etc more for the advanced modeller,only asking as they are really good trailers James

I had considered this and it may be an option in the future, the issue arises when you put 'kit' to anything some people expect to be able to pull it out of the box and slap it together as easy as lego, regardless of what description you give it. If I find time next year I may tweak the current assembly errors and offer the laser cut parts though. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, catkom3 said:

How about creating and selling stl files,??

Regards

Joe.

Price wise, to 3D print an entire trailer this sort of size, in a reasonable resolution would cost upwards of £250-300, which is simply too expensive for a product that you'll then have to prep for paint, assemble and finish. Once you've added all those cost, plus whatever I'd charge for the stl, say £20, your at a £400 model of a silage trailer. 

Other less costly one for you james would be to produce the plans, digitally  or on paper, and maybe the wheels and sell it that way?? Set of instructions , meassurements along side, which could be traced out onto plasti card , build it your self so to speak 

I had considered this and it may be an option in the future, the issue arises when you put 'kit' to anything some people expect to be able to pull it out of the box and slap it together as easy as lego, regardless of what description you give it. If I find time next year I may tweak the current assembly errors and offer the laser cut parts though. 

15 minutes ago, Tractorman810 said:

Other less costly one for you james would be to produce the plans, digitally  or on paper, and maybe the wheels and sell it that way?? Set of instructions , meassurements along side, which could be traced out onto plasti card , build it your self so to speak 

Both of those sound great ideas, particularly the plans and a wheel set......I’d definitely go for one of those!

Price wise, to 3D print an entire trailer this sort of size, in a reasonable resolution would cost upwards of £250-300, which is simply too expensive for a product that you'll then have to prep for paint, assemble and finish. Once you've added all those cost, plus whatever I'd charge for the stl, say £20, your at a £400 model of a silage trailer. 

I never realised how expensive 3D printing still was.  At least I don't need to learn how to use CAD just yet and I can be safe that plasticard and kraft knifes will be the cheapest way for a while to come.  

Some interesting ideas here, I've often debated including the scanned drawings/plans in build threads or making a website of them all as I have notepads full of stuff that's never got off the paper. I'd never charge for them as there's never the full details, just the rough shapes and sizes, the rest I make up/decide once there's something three dimensional I front of me. Will have a look at uploading some when I get home after summer on the farm. I see the forum has some sort of file/download store now, that could be the place for them. 

6 hours ago, sipher172 said:

I never realised how expensive 3D printing still was.  At least I don't need to learn how to use CAD just yet and I can be safe that plasticard and kraft knifes will be the cheapest way for a while to come.  

I assume on a home set up you could plonk out a roughly Bailey shaped and sized blob of plastic for the price of a roll or two of filament with an FDM printer. But to be at a quality where the sides look like they're made of sheet material and not 1:32 corrugated cardboard you'd want a high resolution resin printer. Otherwise you could build one from scratch with the amount of time you'd spend sanding and filling. 

With regards to wheels etc, I am currently starting too look at a pressure pot to improve the quality of my castings. This is mainly for figures as I intend to launch a range of them when time allows but there'd also be the added benifit of improving cast parts. 

This is something I'm exploring more as they prove to be the most profitable business option. A set of wheels have very little investment cost so would be happy to do commision builds for them. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Yes, the economies of scale break down if I was making a separate kit for grain and silage as you can't predict what people want more of. Therefore it works out cheaper to offer the parts to make both and be left with a few unused bits as I can just make the same kit in larger volumes. The instructions just guide how to build one or the other but it's certainly possible to modify it so the silage extensions are removable for anyone feeling adventurous!

• Like 2

Some more Bailey behind the scenes, starting with the casting station. Moulds on the go in this shot include all the Bailey parts, rims, tyres, mudguards, grain chutes and casting alongside are some truck and small implement wheels which use any excess resin or rubber from a pour. 

IMG_20211228_084850.thumb.jpg.8abb6e3fc4e539600f723c0d5f950067.jpg

I run 8 tyre moulds allowing for two trailers worth of tyres to be made per pour keeping up with the laser cutters cutting rate. 

IMG_20211228_084856.thumb.jpg.a66ba2171ed993935213dc7541bf913a.jpg

On the subject of lasers, these are the shadow boards for picking out cut parts from a sheet, my little sister helps out from time to time and these sheets let her identify what to put in the parts boxes and what to bin. 

IMG_20211228_152217.thumb.jpg.3e5201d2e5a008fe6631c11e2365fb2e.jpg

Not everything is cut by laser though, plasticard sides, rubber mudguards and scrim mesh are all cut by hand. 

IMG_20211228_093958.thumb.jpg.df443d2829c14ff8b78b314c5e2a9cd9.jpg

IMG_20211228_094007.thumb.jpg.59aa0c6c1e19aff88839cf0570982f6a.jpg

Everything for the kits start to come together in bundles, here wheels, axles, pins, rams and grain chutes are bagged together. 

IMG_20211228_145149.thumb.jpg.d43522a1247e122c7a58b99a65f742fd.jpg

Mudguards are prepped by removing flash and then packing into boxes. 

IMG_20211229_113323.jpg

Edited by Stabliofarmer
  • Like 8

Rams have always been a big set back. To cut the twenty required for the original models in this thread took over a days work and involves getting your fingers covered in paper cuts. The process has now been sped up using a diamond cutting tool in a dremel and diamond debur tool for drilling new holes. These give much cleaner cuts and are faster than hand pipe cutters and conventional drill bits. 

Now a batch if twenty rams can be cut down in just over an hour. 

IMG_20211229_184441.thumb.jpg.73d8db9c363d34581a2626374fc193a3.jpg

IMG_20211229_185810.thumb.jpg.6336c6a41e54a9f05dcb9218d2446116.jpg

IMG_20211229_190028.thumb.jpg.0a825652ca57b068f8bbae500db0073f.jpg

IMG_20211229_205514.thumb.jpg.13fb5e1b14457e9d427ea413a507e3fb.jpg

• Like 6