Britain’s Ford 6600 conversions

1 hour ago, 844john said:

Thanks Sean, I remember that cab on a 178 Massey that my Dad used to drive and I’ve always wanted to do a model of it at some stage, so this was sort of a trial run . It’s based on one like in the photo below👍

836D67F1-33F9-44E8-998E-1F2F87F19D38.jpeg

thats the version i was more used to seeing on early to mid mf100 series, with the proper mf flexis. the very early 100’s had the tapered ones, like i was more used to seeing on fords,well suffolk way,i guess it was down to the dealer back then what they stocked or fitted 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Udimore said:

Loving this John

I ave memories of sitting on one of these, the cab was in worse condition than yours by the looks of it

Thanks Barry! I can remember riding in one with my Dad, but it was on a Massey178 which was fairly new at the time, so it was still very tidy😉

6 hours ago, justy 46 said:

John.. You are building up some fantastic fleet off 3 pot Ford's. Them 4000s look the bis...😍

Thanks Justin, sat with them also in the early stages is a bubble cab 4600 and a later style Lambourn Q cabbed 4600, and I’ve not even thought about the 4wd conversions yet😆, but I thought it would be a nice little offshoot of my collection👍

6 hours ago, IH885XLMAN said:

These are all the models britains missed out on in the 60s anx 70s john you rock man 

Thanks Nigel, the way I look at it though is that it’s all the models that weren’t done that got me into building in the first place!😉

11 hours ago, Tractorman810 said:

thats the version i was more used to seeing on early to mid mf100 series, with the proper mf flexis. the very early 100’s had the tapered ones, like i was more used to seeing on fords,well suffolk way,i guess it was down to the dealer back then what they stocked or fitted 

This particular type of cab seemed to be really quite common around us when I was a boy, I can remember it on Ford’s, Massey’s, International’s and even a few Leyland’s at the time, wonder if there was an agent for them in our area for them to be so popular?

29 minutes ago, 844john said:

This particular type of cab seemed to be really quite common around us when I was a boy, I can remember it on Ford’s, Massey’s, International’s and even a few Leyland’s at the time, wonder if there was an agent for them in our area for them to be so popular?

i do wonder if it was dealer preference , nice and easy to fit maybe, compared to the tapered ones, ,cost to buy in and margins,  more spacious i suspect is the main one, i have a pic somewhere of me beside one of our early mk1 mf165’s fitted with the tapered front lambourne, and it does look small compaired to those , doors look bigger for access as well on those later ones .you have to love the flaps to get your hand out to open the door from inside, like it was just to hard to fit a lever inside 😆

13 minutes ago, Tractorman810 said:

i do wonder if it was dealer preference , nice and easy to fit maybe, compared to the tapered ones, ,cost to buy in and margins,  more spacious i suspect is the main one, i have a pic somewhere of me beside one of our early mk1 mf165’s fitted with the tapered front lambourne, and it does look small compaired to those , doors look bigger for access as well on those later ones .you have to love the flaps to get your hand out to open the door from inside, like it was just to hard to fit a lever inside 😆

I think you’re right about that Sean with regards to dealer preference etc, you’re wrong about the flaps though, I seem to remember they were for making gestures at other road users🤣

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, IH885XLMAN said:

These are all the models britains missed out on in the 60s anx 70s john you rock man 

They are the models all manufacturers are missing out on still to this day.. 4000 was Ford's top seller in its time... Probably off all time..!! 

4 hours ago, 844john said:

Thanks Justin, sat with them also in the early stages is a bubble cab 4600 and a later style Lambourn Q cabbed 4600, and I’ve not even thought about the 4wd conversions yet😆, but I thought it would be a nice little offshoot of my collection👍

Plenty cab styles on 4600 John. Fieco, Bubble, Duncan, Lambourne. But I spose my pick off the bunch is the Fritzemeir. Not common in the UK... But a big seller in Ireland back then. 

Screenshot_20211126_101257_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.jpg

• Like 1

On 11/25/2021 at 7:35 PM, jmd said:

looking good John, nice article in classic tractor by the way 👍

I saw it was in there this month ,not got around to reading as yet ,David Pullen do some nice reports , he was with me on tuesday at the arrive and drive day 

• Like 1

I love that lamborne cab john would that fit and would it be standard across all tractor makes but would it fit a 135 mf and mf 188 ?? Just thinking Replicagri bringing out that new mf 188 that cab eould look good unless u have ever done the canvas cab we all know and love that we seen on those 70s masseys sirocco i think 

Again they all look spot on john 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, IH885XLMAN said:

I love that lamborne cab john would that fit and would it be standard across all tractor makes but would it fit a 135 mf and mf 188 ?? Just thinking Replicagri bringing out that new mf 188 that cab eould look good unless u have ever done the canvas cab we all know and love that we seen on those 70s masseys sirocco i think 

Again they all look spot on john 

Thanks Nigel, yes it seemed to be a popular cab up our way when I was a boy, as I was saying to Sean it was fitted to a number of different makes. My intention was to build a 178 with a loader with one of these fitted to replicate one that I spent a lot of time on with my Dad when I was a bairn, but replicagri might have saved me a bit of work now😉

• Like 1