Old britains land rover

Some have [one screw ] While others have a rivet in chassis [ just above the  1975 date on  plastic base insert]  Use a small pilot drill , then larger one to drill off rivet head. Never seen a treaded pin. In theory should be able to leaver off? or this may be a refix job . Treaded pin may have been used like a self tapper try un screwing it? Refixing  super glue, self tapping screw [ either large one or small with washer. Watch out as each axel has two small springs  easily lost. If the springs are [ not springing ] you can try stretching them. I have used old biro pen springs which need to be cut in half. Cheers Jim

25 minutes ago, fordmajor said:

Some have [one screw ] While others have a rivet in chassis [ just above the  1975 date on  plastic base insert]  Use a small pilot drill , then larger one to drill off rivet head. Never seen a treaded pin. In theory should be able to leaver off? or this may be a refix job . Treaded pin may have been used like a self tapper try un screwing it? Refixing  super glue, self tapping screw [ either large one or small with washer. Watch out as each axel has two small springs  easily lost. If the springs are [ not springing ] you can try stretching them. I have used old biro pen springs which need to be cut in half. Cheers Jim

Thanks Jim, very helpful

threaded pins are out there and they are an arse to get off no head on top, just a dome and no way to add a cut to it to attempt to unscrew, they were pushed in ,last one i did was removed via a punch and hammer from underneath, only way to get it out without damaging the plastic seats/ tub part 

2 hours ago, Tractorman810 said:

threaded pins are out there and they are an arse to get off no head on top, just a dome and no way to add a cut to it to attempt to unscrew, they were pushed in ,last one i did was removed via a punch and hammer from underneath, only way to get it out without damaging the plastic seats/ tub part 

Thanks Sean, might leave it then, i was going to glaze it but i will probably break something, have got a resin replacement mirror for it now

Edited by Paul Palmer

9 minutes ago, fordmajor said:

Paul if your other builds are any thing to go buy .Glazing the Landy should be a breeze. De Luxe Materials glue n glaze glue.

Sorry for butting in here but thank you for the tip, I would like to locate an old Siku John Deere 6920 and glaze the cab but was put off by the fogging on other glues, but this looks great.

39 minutes ago, CX820Joe said:

Sorry for butting in here but thank you for the tip, I would like to locate an old Siku John Deere 6920 and glaze the cab but was put off by the fogging on other glues, but this looks great.

50 minutes ago, fordmajor said:

Paul if your other builds are any thing to go buy .Glazing the Landy should be a breeze. De Luxe Materials glue n glaze glue.

Not worried about the glazing Jim,its taking the landy apart im not sure about, it was an e bay purchase and its in good nick just dont want to break it👍

• Haha 1

Sounds like they can be a bit tricky to prise apart Paul, or this blog post certainly makes a meal of it https://code3landies.wordpress.com/2014/09/01/britains-series-3-full-restoration/

From memory I took one apart years ago and pretty sure I just attacked the domed rivet/pin/screw with a good sharp drill bit and popped the chassis off without any drama.

4 hours ago, Stabliofarmer said:

Sounds like they can be a bit tricky to prise apart Paul, or this blog post certainly makes a meal of it https://code3landies.wordpress.com/2014/09/01/britains-series-3-full-restoration/

From memory I took one apart years ago and pretty sure I just attacked the domed rivet/pin/screw with a good sharp drill bit and popped the chassis off without any drama.

i tried drilling the pin, but kept slipping, could be due to being a tight arse and having a cheap drill bit 😆😆😆 the threaded pins are a pain, had the odd mf 30 drill with them,and you do get the odd one thats really bit into the metal , but you can cut a slot in thos as they are accessible, the landy ones are set into a “pit” so to speak.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Stabliofarmer said:

Thanks James, very helpful

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tractorman810 said:

i tried drilling the pin, but kept slipping, could be due to being a tight arse and having a cheap drill bit 😆😆😆 the threaded pins are a pain, had the odd mf 30 drill with them,and you do get the odd one thats really bit into the metal , but you can cut a slot in thos as they are accessible, the landy ones are set into a “pit” so to speak.

Exactly right Sean the pin is recessed so only way is and as James and Jim have said is to drill it out

• 6 months later...