Two Sister's Farm 1/32 scale layout

Mogul

I5iPGndl.jpg

JU533Hql.jpg

vUqUtCKl.jpg

OPqPPOhl.jpg

The first shot taken outside the engine shed shows the wooden bodied Simplex ticking over. Over a period of time the exhaust has discoloured the canvas cab side which flaps about as the machine proceeds along the track.

Tilly is seen lurking in the yard having spent the day doing track maintenance.
The oil drums are from a Tamiya 1/35 scale military items kit which came with Gerry cans, large drums and buckets. They are mounted on a stand made of balsa and wire.

In the last picture the small four wheeled wagon is typical of the sort used on some of the smaller farms, that used horse or man power. The tomatoes growing in the green house are made of thin wire covered with green flock and the tomatoes are blobs of red paint. At Nocton the greenhouse was a quarter of a mile long with a track running through the centre.

Peter M

• Like 2

fDXIGRHl.jpg

J3QrST7l.jpg

iOODIvfl.jpg

Q3I4ZHMl.jpg

I was asked on another forum to take a few close ups of the wooden bodied Simplex, these only serve to show up its faults really.

I got the idea of the wooden bodied Simplex from some photographs of the version on the Fleet Railway towing a string of wagons loaded with sacks of potatoes. There is another photo of the small loco towing a long rake of wagons loaded with pea vines. The body gave a little protection from the Winter cold easterly winds and rain. Like all narrow gauge Simplex shunters the driver sat sideways.
I used the opportunity to clean the track and wheels of the locos and stock and generally test the layout ready for its next outing.
Peter M

• Like 1

Hi6dSOxl.jpg

6EEJwgMl.jpg

bl8iEJNl.jpg

XPbv0aFl.jpg

0i5oTabl.jpg

Zx5AimPl.jpg

A few pictures taken at Beacon-Rail Tring in Hertfordshire 2015 exhibition some time ago, an enjoyable small show where we were sadly the only narrow gauge exhibit.

The first three photos show the wooden bodied shunter towing a long flat wagon with a worker having a nap laying on the wooden floor.

The next photo shows the Fordson N Standard tractor with a mechanic looking at its front wheel.

The last two photos show the yellow shunter with a small wagon with bales of hay, then coupled to a wooden side tipper.

Peter M

• Like 2

pFaNCkLl.jpg

6ZKGNZUl.jpg

d4IGzBFl.jpg

vIDgSuNl.jpg

mNn8JnSl.jpg

DJa52qDl.jpg

I have been given a disc of photographs taken by my fellow operator Andy Knott some years ago, here are a few hopefully not seen before.
The first picture shows the Diesel powered Davenport shunter in the yard shuffling a few wagons about.

The second picture shows a view down the yard towards the empty engine shed.

The third picture shows the scratch built Ruston diesel shunter and his Siku Chinese looking driver.

The forth picture shows the little Fergie getting attention in the yard.

The last 2 pictures show the yard foreman’s hut and the bicycle he came to work on.

Peter M

• Like 3

g07ITOYl.jpg

I have kindly been given permission to post some of the superb photographs of Two Sisters Farm taken by Chris Nevard for Model Rail magazine. He came up to take the photos which appeared in the July issue of Model Rail magazine no 223 2016.

Chris Nevard is probably one of the best model railway photographers around at the time the photos where done, and I think still is.

The first picture features the Britain’s Milk Maid who is not the prettiest young lady but I suspect has been around for years. She is checking the growing vegetables in the cold frame and feeding the chickens as well.

Peter M

• Like 2

wI0LWPCl.jpg

Here we have a farm worker having a break after chopping a load of logs. He has a Labrador puppy inside his shirt. He was originally a member of a second World War German tank crew having a rest, he is 1/35 scale but is OK as people are all different heights.

Peter M

• Like 3

7Inxu5rl.jpg

When I first had the idea of a farm with a narrow gauge railway, the first rail truck I intended to build was the Quad. Unfortunately I was unable to get one as they were not being produced at that time, it took two years of searching to finally get the model and find a suitable chassis to power it.

It was a lovely kit to make and I think it turned out rather well.

She is seen having just uncoupled from a wagon in the yard.

Peter M

• Like 2

V9QKX16l.jpg

The water tower was scratch built from odds and ends in my spares box. It is used to refill the tank on the little Porter 0-4-2 and for filling up the tank on weed killing trains. The leather bag and insulation on the feed pipe are made from masking tape. A rear wheel from a Fordson Major E27N is leaning against the coaling stage.

Peter M

• Like 2

TRPkI2hl.jpg

The foreman’s hut made of balsa was an exact copy of the huts we used at Rockingham motor speedway where I worked part time on the safety team. The bike is a Tamiya model and the chicken is a Britain’s model that has been repainted.

Peter M

• Like 3

U6pOqCFl.jpg

The Fordson Standard model N is a particular favourite of mine because as a child the local farm had two of them. They were used in Summer at hay making time to push loads of hay with a sweep to make a hay rick in the fields.

The model is a Scaledown white metal kit, and should be painted either orange or dark green. The ones I saw as a lad were earlier so I painted mine blue and red just like the ones I saw as a lad.

Peter M

• Like 3

zfLzpxDl.jpg

The Fordson E1A Power Major was introduced in 1958 and was diesel powered and was more powerful than the old tall Major that it replaced. I personally prefer the tall Major because as a child my cousin would come home to lunch and let me sit of the seat of his TVO Major as it was ticking over during his lunch break.

Peter M

• Like 2

sofGEFSl.jpg

This diesel is a figment of my imagination it consists of a yard switcher chassis and motor. The left hand end is the radiator from a yard switcher and the right hand end is from a road switcher The engine a four cylinder Gardener diesel, is in the left hand end and a drive shaft runs through the centre to the right hand end which powers a generator which then powers the traction motors and also acts as a mobile generator out in the fields. All total fiction of course but I hope believable.

Peter M

On 5/29/2023 at 9:23 AM, Mogul said:

U6pOqCFl.jpg

The Fordson Standard model N is a particular favourite of mine because as a child the local farm had two of them. They were used in Summer at hay making time to push loads of hay with a sweep to make a hay rick in the fields.

The model is a Scaledown white metal kit, and should be painted either orange or dark green. The ones I saw as a lad were earlier so I painted mine blue and red just like the ones I saw as a lad.

Peter M

Hello Peter,' been fascinated by all these images with the detail. The earlier blue 'N's had a water washer air cleaner (as opposed to the oil bath type here)and slightly different cylinder head models of which we do in the SCALEdown range as also the tall major mentioned in the next image. Best regards, Nigel.

Nigel, many thanks for your kind comments I actually have Scaledown 27N tall Major and Eia diesel Major, which is painted a more accurate colour than that used on the model I use for exhibitions.

When Chris Nevard took these photographs everything was done in something of a rush so I only used the models I had to hand at the time. I have exhibited Two Sisters on well over 60 times mainly at model railway shows and the tractors always create a lot of interest with the viewers, oddly enough mostly the ladies.

Kind regards Peter M

TjihVmSl.jpg

The Opel Blitz was used when I first built Two Sisters to check clearances when I laid the track, it is powered by an American Athearn five pole motor and is is very reliable. It was a very fiddly job cutting out the truck body to fit the motor and chassis in place. The back of the truck is filled with odds and ends and the canvas covered box hides the motor that powers the rail truck.

Peter M

• Like 2

jNPiqkHl.jpg

The scratch built greenhouse in low relief represents the one on the Nocton estate that was a quarter of a mile long with a narrow gauge track running though the centre. It was used to chit the potatoes and when these were planted the tomatoes were grown to provide a cash crop during the summer. The farmer’s brother is seen admiring the crop.

Peter M

• Like 2

vz3ioyDl.jpg

In this next scene under the tree is a wooden implement covered with a tarpaulin. The model is actually A German field kitchen that I am pretending is a horse draw sowing drill hence the tarpaulin to hide its real identity. There are also some items of scrap and a jeep trailer lying about and a chicken looking for food under the scratch built tree.

Peter M

• Like 2

q8rx1NWl.jpg

The tall tree made from dis- guarded telephone wire wrapped in kitchen towel soaked in PVA glue. Then when dry and hard covered in Milliput modelling putty that was carved to represent bark then painted with acrylics. The leaves are made from Woodland Scenics material. It is supported at the back by a wire fixed to a branch as it is very heavy, over 1lb. and this keeps it secure when in transit.

Peter M

• Like 2

L2mwb1Tl.jpg

The cows being herded in for milking by a Tamiya soldier who has been converted to look like a farm labourer. He is being assisted by a Britain’s sheep dog, note the cow pat which is a blob of solder painted greenish black.

Peter M

• Like 4

uXwcbh7l.jpg

A Fordson 27N rear wheel is propped against the corrugated iron coaling stage. The wheel was from a white metal kit that I was given by a fellow modeller to put on my scrap pile. The long grass is shaving brush bristles tinted with acrylic paint.

Peter M

• Like 2

X03X2tAl.jpg

A general view of the yard with the home built wooden shunter towing a wooden side tipping wagon.

That is being followed by another shunter returning from work in the fields. The wood cutter having a rest sits on a pile of logs with his puppy.

Peter M

• Like 1

3bQBvX8l.jpg

This photo features the Fordson 27 N rail shunter which is very loosely based on shunters made by Muir Hill using a Fordson Standard as a basis. I assume the 27N is fitted with a Darlington overdrive gearbox.

I was given the damaged model by a fellow modeller at an exhibition who suggested I used it on my scrap pile. I thought it was much too good to do that so I made a chassis for it and powered it with a Tenshodo motor.

Peter M

• Like 2