Why are PTO speeds what they are?

ihatepoundland

"As always, learn your history!!"

my history teacher said that to me ,right before i drop that subject :D :D :D you wern't a teacher were you tellerain????

I dropped it too Sean as quick as I possibly could  :D :D :D :D probably had to do with the fact my History teacher had the rankest BO ever (insert pukey smiley here).  >:(

"As always, learn your history!!"

my history teacher said that to me ,right before i drop that subject :D :D :D you wern't a teacher were you tellerain????

I dropped it too:' told the History master that I wasn't going to need to know about that to go farming! although 6' 6" & about 20 stone I could see he was offended!

As always, learn your history!!

The first practical, mass produced PTO came with the Farmall 'heavy' of 1923/24, the PTO was mere an extension of the main crankshaft with a dog clutch.  The engine, Wakusha petrol, ran at 535 - 540 RPM at normal / max speed.  this then became the standard.

http://www.agmuseum.com/1928_mccormick_deering_farmall_w.htm

Later, after WWII, more power was required to be transmitted and multi cylinder diesels went to higher RPM, and alternate spec PTO was agreed at 1000 rpm as at 540 RPM insufficient power could be safely transmitted with existing PTO eqipment, shafts, UJs etc.  PTO and spline arrangments were also standardised.  Perhaps a current Mech Ag student will have the latest that can be put down a 1 7/8'' spline in terms of PTO output!!

3100ft - this was a safe belt speed for the technology and materials of the steam age.  Steam flywheels are cast iron, good in compression but poor in tensile stresses.  If certrain radial speeds were exceeded, flywheels would (and have) simply throw themselves apart, with predictable and often fatal consequences.

http://www.rustyiron.com/engines/flywheel/

Thanks for the answer, this is learning history, can be quite hard to find this sort of infomation