VP Farms

DPH

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, not atall i'm stuck in Manchester city centre, no red diesel pumps  ::) I popped over to the internet cafe whilst i'm waiting for a delivery. Have to keep a look out that pikey's don't steal my michelins  ::)

They are everywhere  >:( >:(

• 2 weeks later...

We have been getting our regular daily showers again so that has slowed down the close of Rice Harvest 06, but we've managed to finish.

Hinton Farms

We've been cutting the clearfield rice (dry planted).  This rice is making record yields, but record low prices.  This field is the last one.  We started in the smaller field on the side of the main field.  It was still early when we started.

100_0188.jpg

100_0191.jpg

The STX arrived shortly after the 9220's cart got full.  Since we had started so early, the other tractors weren't quite ready so they arrived one after the other.

100_0192.jpg

The cut the small cut on the other side so the truck could pull in.  There was no room on the road.

100_0194.jpg

100_0193.jpg

100_0195.jpg

100_0196.jpg

When the small field on the side was finished we pulled the truck in that area to have more room for the tractors to move more freely.

100_0197.jpg

100_0198.jpg

After we finished the field, we brought the tractors home to park the carts and switch out some tools.

The first was the stx.  We unhooked the cart and hooked it to the buffalo.  We plan to run it over one of our fields we just cut.  After we flatten the straw, we are going to reflood and crawfish this field in the winter.  We are trying to do some different things this year, after the bad crawfish season last year.  We are hoping a thin top crop of rice will come up for feed for the crawfish.

100_0176.jpg

100_0177.jpg

We put the green disk on the 9270 after it unhooked the Rayne Grain Cart.  We plan to disk under some of the ruts we made during the harvest.

100_0181.jpg

100_0182.jpg

We hooked the 9220 to the red disk after we unhooked that cart.

100_0183.jpg

100_0186.jpg

Finally we took the stripper off of the combine.  We plan to put the draper on to cut soybeans in a few weeks.

100_0187.jpg

We are waiting for things to dry off a little more before we put the buffalo and disks in the field.

Mike Lafler Farms

Mike is also finishing up his dry plant fields that he plans to crawfish this winter.

100_0199.jpg

100_0200.jpg

At the end of the day, both were ready to go so they were both unloading in the truck.

100_0201.jpg

Thats all for now.

Questions/Comments Welcome

did u make that header dph

Sorry for the latness of my reply.  Didn't notice that people had posted this much in it.  Yes I made that header out of an old New Holland header that had broken.

• 4 weeks later...

In the close of August we experienced some strange cool and comfortable weather.  The close of August is called the fifteen days, the fifteen hottest days of the year for Louisiana, but this year was very cool.  The trend has followed with low humidity and cool temps, making for beautiful days.

Hinton Farms

Following rice harvest, many things had to be fixed.  We had to make sure that the combine was working completely.  Meanwhile, we sent two of the guys out with the 9270 and 9220 to disk up the ruts we left in a few of our fields.  We can't leave ruts in too long or the levels that we work hard to get will be ruined.

100_0202.jpg

100_0204.jpg

Heading home.

100_0205.jpg

We took the stripper off of the combine, and mounted the draper.  After it was checked over, we were ready to cut some soybeans.

100_0206.jpg

The Rayne Grain cart was hooked to the 7210 while the stx was hooked to the red cart when it finished rolling the buffalo over the stubble in the future crawfish lakes.

100_0207.jpg

100_0208.jpg

100_0209.jpg

We started with the field next to the shop.  We started in the back and cleared some way for the carts to move around.  We don't really "run" the carts for soys, we park them at the edge of the field, then when they are full, we send someone to unload them at the truck thats parked nearby.  This year, junior was riding the combine, and it was decided that he had enough experience to unload, so when the cart is full, he hops off the combine and drives the tractor down the road to unload.  He's done very well so far.

100_0210.jpg

100_0211.jpg

100_0212.jpg

100_0214.jpg

We will be pulling the levees back up in these fields soon.  We may disk them if our dry trends continue and then pass over with fertilizer.

Mike Lafler Farms

Mike has started cutting his soybeans.  He only planted three fields this year. 

100_0216.jpg

100_0217.jpg

While Mike was in the combine, his son was on the Magnum pulling the levees in this field.

100_0218.jpg

Thanks for Looking

always good to se & read you're posts david , nice to see you've managed to find time to do it as well , the matting is used to good effect & works well with the scale you use , look forward to this years leveling pics.

hows college going ?  not too much booze & women to handle i hope !

always good to se & read you're posts david , nice to see you've managed to find time to do it as well , the matting is used to good effect & works well with the scale you use , look forward to this years leveling pics.

hows college going ?  not too much booze & women to handle i hope !

I only wish I had time for booze and women. ;D

Great Topic David, brilliant imagination you have to commentate over each of your photo's mate, brilliant. Brings it all to life. I think you should put the blue Volvo White semi tractor up for replacement though soon, they are bloody awful trucks!!!!

Great Topic David, brilliant imagination you have to commentate over each of your photo's mate, brilliant. Brings it all to life. I think you should put the blue Volvo White semi tractor up for replacement though soon, they are bloody awful trucks!!!!

Trying to get him to buy a Scania? ::)

A Volvo VN 760 would be nice!!!

but ya know, a Scania will just about do I suppose  ;):D

Actually what I really need is two Frieghtliners and a cab over International to make the display realistic to the real farm its modeled after.

100_0399.jpg

The cab over is in the background of this pic.

100_9445.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Fall has officially begun and the weather has been great.  Even  better, the local meteorologists have anounced that the chances of a hurricane comming into the gulf are slim to nill.  That is very relieving that everyone got their crops out without disaster this year.

Hinton Farms

We decided with the dry weather that we should level out the worst of our fields with ruts from Rice Harvest.  The stx was brought back.  We switched the red cart onto the 7210 and the stx was hooked to the waterleveler along with the 9220.  We sent the 9270 to start disking up the ground again.

100_0252.jpg

100_0253.jpg

100_0254.jpg

After the ground was smoothed out a little and a few more weeds gone, the ground was ready to be leveled.  It's more of a "maintanence" level than a "full blown" releveling so it shouldn't take that long or that many trips.  We will probably plant rice again in this field with the drill.

100_0255.jpg

100_0256.jpg

100_0257.jpg

We are still busy cutting the last of the soybeans.  These are the late beans that were planted late in the old crawfish lakes.

100_0258.jpg

100_0259.jpg

The combine was brought back this morning to be worked on.  We finished soybeans and this year we don't have any top crop rice so it will be going into the shed now.

100_0268.jpg

Meanwhile, we hooked the levee plow to the MX 135 and started making levees in the old soybean fields.  We passed the disk over this land also and spread some fertilizer.

100_0260.jpg

100_0264.jpg

A bering was burnt on the green disk, so we shut that down early last nite.  This morning we went to find that one of the tires on the wing was flat, so we removed the tire to try to fix the flat.

100_0269.jpg

Dwayne got to the field we were leveling early.  The stx needed some hydraulic fluid this morning so he brought that out.

100_0270.jpg

Craig got there a little later and was ready to take over on the 9220.

100_0272.jpg

Lafler Farms

Mike has been busy preparing his old rice fields to be planted with rice again next year.  The top crop rice still isn't quite ready and the beans are finished.  The Versatile runs the disk while the 4455 spreads some fertilizer.  The Magnum shows up later with the cultivator.

100_0265.jpg

100_0266.jpg

When Mike dropped his son Shawn off this morning, they noticed a broken pin on one of the wings.  They took out the broken pieces and Shawn started like that, just can't fold the wing up.  Later Mike brought a replacement pin.

100_0267.jpg

Thanks for looking.

• 2 weeks later...

The year is winding down.  Everything is either out or getting out of the field.  The weather has cooled down and we are getting the fields ready for next year.  But the way the weather has acted this week, this may be the last or one of the last journals for this year.  Festivals are starting up too.  Last week the Cotton Festival was in Ville Platte and Festivals Acadiens was in Lafayette.  As the weather cools we are getting ready to make a seafood Gumbo to celibrate a good year.

Hinton Farms

We made sure everything was back up to par on the combine.  We took the headers off and parked everything in the shed.  The stx and the 9220 were brought brought back after they finished leveling the fields.

100_0274.jpg

100_0276.jpg

100_0275.jpg

We put the red disk on the stx, and the small disk was put on the 9270.  Everything was greased and checked.  The stx need some more hydraulic fluid so Dwayne got some.

100_0277.jpg

We hooked the two levee plows to the 7210 and the 9220.  The 7210 is taking the small plow just to redo some of the levees in the old rice fields.  We are "rericing" about 500 acres of the old rice fields, and we repass the levees to get rid of the huge weeds on them.

100_0278.jpg

Dwayne and Craig started again plowing the old soybean grounds. 

100_0283.jpg

100_0284.jpg

Getting ready to leave.

100_0285.jpg

After Bobby ran over the field with fertilizer, I showed up with the 9220 to make some new levees.

100_0286.jpg

100_0288.jpg

After I finished, I got the 4755 to build up some spots where the drainage ditches used to be.

100_0289.jpg

Lafler Farms

Mike has pretty much wound down the year.  He is out cutting his two top crop rice fields now.

100_0280.jpg

100_0281.jpg

100_0282.jpg

After he finishes, that will be it for the year for him. 

Thanks for Looking

Questions/Comments Welcome.