Air Brush Advice

AndyB

Question

With another year in my life soon coming to an end it is time to prime the wife into actually getting what i would like rather than the clothes that she thinks i need!  I have always needed an air brush to improve paint finishes.  I would welcome comment on the best type for a novice like me.

Thanks, Andy

12 answers to this question

Andy... I feel I am well placed to answer this... like you I wanted to produce a professional finish... so I went out and bought a cheap airbrush kit from Clarke tools...

I could not get a decent finish... I couldn't get the paint to come out without blocking... or coming out too fast...

So....

I made my mind up that airbrush was the way to go... so I went out and spent ?80 on a badger airbrush... guess what...

Same results.. if not slightly worse... so...

I then decided it was my compressor that was WAY to big for the job... so I bought a proper regulator... guess what (I am sure you have)

No bloody good still...

Then it must be the air supply I decided... so I went out and bought a proper diaphram compressor (especially for air brush work)... guess what...

I now buy spray cans for all the jobs I need  :'( :'( :'(

My advice... if you have to... buy the cheap one that Clarke tools make - I get better results with that one than I do the Badger... if not... don't bother wasting your money  :D :D :D :D :D

I must admit I've owned an airbrush for many years, a Badger 200, but very rarely use it , the hassle of setting up and thinning the paint then cleaning it afterwards is all to much. I usually use a spray can , a quick shake ,spray the paint, no cleaning up after and I get pretty good results.

OH DEERE OH DEERE

Airbrush is the only thing i'll use EXCEPT SILVER

You lot just need to learn how to use it

Mine is the ?10-20 Badger

Run from a clarke mini wiz compressor

Quick experience - - - Paint comes out like lightening - - paint way way too thin!!!!

blocks. . . paint to thick

Beads of paint on the model - - - paint to thick  OR Water in pain or compressor

for a revel or humbrol 35ml tin of paint like 2 or 3 drops of thinner is any amount, give a little test then add more if required..

To clean the air brush i blow thinners thru it then it stays permantly in a little tub of thinnner to stop any remaining paint hardening

Wrong thinners

OR more common If u use super glue speeder upper and do not wash it off completely it bu@@ars up the paint

I ALWAYS before painting place a model in a sink of hot water overnight with oddles of FAIRY liquid

then well rinse in morning and place in hot cupboard then when i paint the model is actually slightly warm and paint sticks better

orange peel can also be caused by tempreture at which the area is painted and surrounding area are at . If it is hot the paint can literaly dry too fast causing a skin to form too quickly thus making orange peel

2 pac paint is a sod for it