Fortschritt Swather......

NewHolland2

you used to be able to turn tractors like that ,lock up one sides rear breaks and spin it round, slthough its not recomended ,bit hass on the axels ect so i'm told 

Not a quick turn that way though Sean... I was watching some kind of lawnmower on American Chopper that turned like that.... they were racing them around in a warehouse... looked like wicked fun  ;D

Not a quick turn that way though Sean... I was watching some kind of lawnmower on American Chopper that turned like that.... they were racing them around in a warehouse... looked like wicked fun  ;D

Lot of gardeining firms over here have big riding lawnmowers like that great fun to see em whizzing about (almost like a hovercraft) :D :D

Bugger pulling the header along behind with that lively thing. Could get in a right pickle should you get it a bit wrong. I used a ride-mower in the States with that kind of steering and a single rear wheel, it was ace fun!! Alot of the council ones round our way are similar too.

Bugger pulling the header along behind with that lively thing. Could get in a right pickle should you get it a bit wrong. I used a ride-mower in the States with that kind of steering and a single rear wheel, it was ace fun!! Alot of the council ones round our way are similar too.

They are, aren't they mate? Just have to be caferul not to steer too tight, else you get a pretty good sized donut etched into the grass! ;D

Excellent photos Martin, interesting machines aren't they? :)

At least that one has a steering wheel. Some of the old CO-OP Implements swathers had two steering levers in front of the driver, short ones where the steering wheel should be. Now THAT took some getting used-to  :o

The old '70s MF swathers had a steering wheel but to make them go ahead, you had to push the steering column away from you, terrible in rough fields or in crops that were lodged or tangled. One particular model of senior MF swather was also so badly balanced that when you took the header off, it fell forward on its face!