1/32 Scale Models

Cropmaster

From reading the posts on this forum, it seems that many people would prefer Universal Hobbies(UH) produce 1/32 scale models instead of 1/16 scale replicas. Why is this? 1/16 models are far more difficult to produce as they are much more detailed than 1/32 scale versions. One of the main reasons manufacturers build models in the smaller 1/32 scale is to avoid having to replicate every little detail on the 'real life' model.  ;)

And anyway, whereas models of larger modern tractors look reasonable in 1/32 scale, vintage tractors produced in this scale are absolutely tiny!  ;D 1/16 is the perfect scale for UH's excellent and extremely accurate models. By producing these 1/16 scale models, UH, unlike many other manufacturers, has gone the extra mile (or light year) in replicating the original tractors. In my opinion UH make the most accurate and the best value models on sale today. 1/16 models of vintage tractors are larger and more detailed than 1/32 scale versions, and therefore are a superior replica of the original machine. I can see no advantage of producing 1/32 scale versions instead!  :D :D

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1/32 is the european scale. More people would be upset if UH stopped doing 1/32 scale models than they would if UH stopped doing 1/16. If you want a cabinet full of remarkably accurate models then 1/16 is probably the one to collect. If you want a farm display layout replicating a true English, German, French, Italian, Irish (and so on) farm then it can only be in 1/32.

1/32 is the european scale. More people would be upset if UH stopped doing 1/32 scale models than they would if UH stopped doing 1/16. If you want a cabinet full of remarkably accurate models then 1/16 is probably the one to collect. If you want a farm display layout replicating a true English, German, French, Italian, Irish (and so on) farm then it can only be in 1/32.

You still haven't provided me with any advantages that individual 1/32 scale models have over 1/16 scale versions! :)

Cheaper,

easier to come by,

larger range available,

better competition between manufacturers,

take up less space,

(all of these add up to being more effective for a layout by the way)

large resale/collectors market,

more people making one-offs/conversions.

All in all it is preference over advantages I think. The majority of the members of this site are into 1/32 in a big way, there is one sign.

:)

Cheaper,   1/16 Scale models are far better value.

easier to come by,   Because manufacturers do not want to go to the bother of building more detailed 1/16 scale versions

larger range available,   See above

better competition between manufacturers, See above

take up less space, Hardly a great reason!

(all of these add up to being more effective for a layout by the way)

large resale/collectors market, See above

more people making one-offs/conversions. See above

All in all it is preference over advantages I think. The majority of the members of this site are into 1/32 in a big way, there is one sign.

:)

I agree the last statement in bold! ;)

I think there would have to be some big changes to the line-ups pffered by those manufacturers that do make 1/16 for any major surge on demand to take place.

I could only do a layout in 1/32. Envisaging my layout when it is done appeals to me far more than having a cabinet full of models, anyone can do that. . I agree with the vintage though, maybe in years tom come I will be collecting vintage 1/16 UH Fendt 818's and the like!!

You still haven't provided me with any advantages that individual 1/32 scale models have over 1/16 scale versions! :)

I will, I have at least 300 models now and these take up a hell of a lot of space, imagine how much room would be needed for a 1/16 scale collection of that size!

you can get just as much quality now in 1/32 as you can in 1/16 to be honest, uh have more than proved this with some of there recent stuff , if anything they are more detailed than some of the bigger stuff,

i agree fully with what tris has said in all his comments and jas to, heck if i had all my models in 16th scale i would need a bloody big house i can tell ya,

only the americans seem to like 1/16 to collect , and they seem to like evey thing big 

you can get just as much quality now in 1/32 as you can in 1/16 to be honest, uh have more than proved this with some of there recent stuff , if anything they are more detailed than some of the bigger stuff,

i agree fully with what tris has said in all his comments and jas to, heck if i had all my models in 16th scale i would need a bloody big house i can tell ya,

only the americans seem to like 1/16 to collect , and they seem to like evey thing big 

I disagree. I have yet to see a 1/32 scale model of a tractor or otherwise with more detail than a 1/16 version made by the same manufacturer. Also, in the case of vintage tractors, there are no 1/32 scale models to rival the detail of UH's 1/16 scale range. The fact that many do not have the room for a large number of 1/16 scale models seems to be the only 'advantage' of 1/32 scale replicas put forward...

But thinking about it for a minute, what is the advantage of owning either though?? They are static, cost money and geft daft reactions from people not in the know.

There is no advantage to owning any model in all fairness is there? It is just a hobby we like minded folk enjoy to undertake. 1/64, 1/32, 1/16.... it's all the same really.

???

true tris,

cost comes into it to i guess, i can get 2/3 or the uh 32nds for the cost of a 16th, and to me they are a lot better,

for classic stuff yes maybe 16th is better, they were small tractors in there day so in 32nd they would be tiny ,and yes have very little detail and apart from g&m uh have no competition in the 16th classic  market 

From reading the posts on this forum, it seems that many people would prefer Universal Hobbies(UH) produce 1/32 scale models instead of 1/16 scale replicas. Why is this? 1/16 models are far more difficult to produce as they are much more detailed than 1/32 scale versions. One of the main reasons manufacturers build models in the smaller 1/32 scale is to avoid having to replicate every little detail on the 'real life' model.  ;)

And anyway, whereas models of larger modern tractors look reasonable in 1/32 scale, vintage tractors produced in this scale are absolutely tiny!  ;D 1/16 is the perfect scale for UH's excellent and extremely accurate models. By producing these 1/16 scale models, UH, unlike many other manufacturers, has gone the extra mile (or light year) in replicating the original tractors. In my opinion UH make the most accurate and the best value models on sale today. 1/16 models of vintage tractors are larger and more detailed than 1/32 scale versions, and therefore are a superior replica of the original machine. I can see no advantage of producing 1/32 scale versions instead!  :D :D

Having read this through, I really think you are in a minority with your views and maybe you should spend your time on TTS where 1;16 is the scale and you are less likely to be at odds with everyone!  :D :D :D :D

And on the same lines as you went on earlier, "Bigger isn't necessarilly better"  ;)

NIGEL FORD and others seem to pull 1/32  off quite tidy

Surely that is a statement you can't argue with !!!!!

Also didn't UH cock up the 1/16 version of the FORD ? (sorry can't remember it's exact name) and they screwed the name up on the Ferguson boxes too.........accurate perhaps not  :D :D :D :D

Interesting thread.....I think 1/16 is suited to UH's range of vintage models, as I would say the majority of this market are people whom used to use these types of vehicles and now like nothing more than to view the large scale model version and reflect on it. I also think that this sort of collector is used to 1/16 being the collecting scale and 1/32 being the toy scale, which has been the case untill UH started producing the excellent 1/32 collectors models. If these vintage models were in 1/32, I feel they would be slightly put off by it, in terms of the loss in visual aesthetics, in other words, you would have to look a lot harder to appreciate the detail on a 1/32 ferguson than you would on a 1/16 model.

For more modern collectors, I dont think this applies and you could argue that UH could get best of both worlds if they produced in 1/32. Why they decided on 1/43, I do not know! ???

I think it is level playing field when comparing some 1/32 models to 1/16 vintage models, for example, the Tecnoma sprayer has immense detail and personally I think this is UH's most detailled model yet in all their scales.

F-P, bigger is certainly better as far as models of vintage tractors are concerned! 1/32 is too small! ;D

Nashmach, we are simply discussing/debating the topic. There is no argument, and even of we were arguing, I have yet to meet my match! :D 1/16 scale models are more detailed than 1/32 scale versions, on that I think we can all agree. The only possible advantage of 1/32 scale replicas is that they do not take up as much space. As regards the number of 1/16 scale models on the market, there are clearly more 1/32 scale replicas. However, this is because manufacturers would have to go to a great deal of extra bother by building 1/16 scale models due to the extra detail that would be required. The fact that there are more 1/32 scale tractors on the market is irrelevant, as I am addressing the issue of why people would prefer if UH built 1/32 scale models of their vintage tractors as opposed to 1/16 scale versions. I cannot see any real advantage of 1/32 scale vintage tractors over 1/16 scale models.

On the TE20 naming issue, I will admit that UH made a mistake, but the excellent quality of their models clearly makes up for this! ;D ;D

F-P, bigger is certainly better as far as models of vintage tractors are concerned! 1/32 is too small! ;D

Nashmach, we are simply discussing/debating the topic. There is no argument, and even of we were arguing, I have yet to meet my match! :D 1/16 scale models are more detailed than 1/32 scale versions, on that I think we can all agree. The only possible advantage of 1/32 scale replicas is that they do not take up as much space. As regards the number of 1/16 scale models on the market, there are clearly more 1/32 scale replicas. However, this is because manufacturers would have to go to a great deal of extra bother by building 1/16 scale models due to the extra detail that would be required. The fact that there are more 1/32 scale tractors on the market is irrelevant, as I am addressing the issue of why people would prefer if UH built 1/32 scale models of their vintage tractors as opposed to 1/16 scale versions.   I cannot see any real advantage of 1/32 scale vintage tractors over 1/16 scale models.     

On the TE20 naming issue, I will admit that UH made a mistake, but the excellent quality of their models clearly makes up for this! ;D ;D

I understand and respect your views cropmaster but it would be a big advantage to but 1/32 uh

if most of your collection was 1/32

there would be no real advantage of buying 1/32 if you had mostly 1/16 models

Well all I can say is you must not have too many models Cropmaster either that or you have unlimited storage space and ???'s. UH may well produce excellent 1/16th models but if that is the only company you are looking at you may find that most 1/32 models are just as detailed as the 1/16th models. Have you seen any of the Ertl models in 1/16th scale ??? Sand box toys is what they are called I believe hardly worthy of any detail.

I don't collect for detail, I collect for what pleases my eye and fits in with my collection. I don't have any UH, Siku or any other manufacturer in my collection.Britains through and through :D  I am buying Markys MF, not because of detail or scale, but just to support a fellow forums members business venture.

Everyone has there reasons for collecting what they do, and I personally think that the UH would sell better in 1/32. I believe it was mentioned on here quite some time ago that the 1/16 was produced in the hopes of cracking into the North American market.

Well all I can say is you must not have too many models Cropmaster either that or you have unlimited storage space and ???'s. UH may well produce excellent 1/16th models but if that is the only company you are looking at you may find that most 1/32 models are just as detailed as the 1/16th models. Have you seen any of the Ertl models in 1/16th scale ??? Sand box toys is what they are called I believe hardly worthy of any detail.

I don't collect for detail, I collect for what pleases my eye and fits in with my collection. I don't have any UH, Siku or any other manufacturer in my collection.Britains through and through :D  I am buying Markys MF, not because of detail or scale, but just to support a fellow forums members business venture.

Everyone has there reasons for collecting what they do, and I personally think that the UH would sell better in 1/32. I believe it was mentioned on here quite some time ago that the 1/16 was produced in the hopes of cracking into the North American market.

I am speaking purely about 1/16 scale UH vintage tractors, and the many advantages that their current range of 1/16 replicas would have over a 1/32 scale range of the same tractors, if produced. My point is that 1/32 scale versions, of UH's current range of vintage tractors only, would offer no advantages over the current 1/16 scale range, and therefore I cannot see why people would prefer these models in a smaller scale.

I am not talking about any other 1/16 scale models, made by ERTL or anybody else. 1/16 scale models, if built by the same manufacturer, of the same tractor, including the greatest amount of detail possible, could not possibly be as detailed as 1/16 scale versions, as in 1/32 scale, it would be impossible to include minor details like injector pipes, fuel pipes etc. that feature on 1/16 scale models.

The original post focused on Universal Hobbies' vintage tractor range, and why 1/16 scale models of these tractors would be superior to 1/32 scale models of the same machines. I am not talking about 1/32 Vs 1/16 scale models by other manufacturers, but rather on the reasons why many would prefer if UH made 1/32 scale models of their current 1/16 range. ;)