Anybody else collect Britain's Lorrys?

1972farming

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive started collecting the Britains Lorries. I have several now, but hit a plateau as the remaining models are extremely hard to find.

Last year there was a sale with the yellow, blue and lime green square cab, float lorries (builders lorry?) that made ?500. There was a davis estates lorry that made ?4000!

I have a royal mail lorry, but its only a repaint, but I think this may be the hardest to find in original condition ?

What a lovely piece Steve... and so is the rest of your lorry collection.

I have to say mate... you have a superb collection there in total... can you define exactly what your criteria is for collecting... I see you have some really old stuff... just wondered if you have a "cut off date" where things become too new.  ???

Thanks Marky.

My cut off is around the mid 1960s really,as you know I had a big clearout last year to buy the motocrosser and thats when I decided to concentrate on the old models.I have horse drawn models from Britains ,the army lorries and of course the farm models.I also really like the lead animals and figures along with the early plastics by Britains and Herald.I have also bought figures and soldiers by other old English manufaturers when I have found them cheaply.I do take more care now buying though ,I used to buy all sorts and end up selling most of them on but now I consider most purchases well before buying.

• 2 years later...

Thought I would kick start this topic.

Dad and I are starting to gather a nice collection of these lorries now.

Not sure if they can be classed as farm, builder, or military lorries!  :D Unusual colour variations nonetheless.

post-2-132639110417_thumb.jpg

Some interesting colours there Andy, not seen any of those before.  They will certainly be civilian versions.

I've only seen the two tone blue (light blue bodywork with dark blue mudguards and white roof) and the yellow bodywork/black mudguards versions of that cab.  The latter was an early wartime one fitted with metal tyres because of the shortage of rubber.

These two seem feature at auctions from time time, but have yet to see duplicates of the ones posted previously. We have had a look at them and they do not appear repainted.

1519.jpg

4233.jpg

Like those a lot.

Is the blue one with red wheels on pressed tin ones or smooth rubber tyres? difficult to tell from photograph.

I have an example of the 6 wheeler with tin wheels in blue, unfortunately a previous owner took a brush to it and repainted the blue and black, then stuck a paper Davis Estates sign on the side. Still it gives me a tin 6 wheeler until a better one comes along.

• 4 weeks later...

Ive been "home" home, but  only a couple of times to home, which is mum and dads  :D

I took the pictures but havn't transferred them on to the computer. Thanks for reminding me!  ;)

Thanks Andy ;)

Tell us more about the most recent, it does not look quite right to me, is it a repaint? there does not appear to be a front bumper and no loss of paint where the front offside mudguard has been bent in a little.

Like the six wheeler, have one of those in the E27N blue with skinny tread tyres and the float with wooden base. What type of float has this got?

I think it most certainly is a repaint. I think it cost £20 so we are pleased! The missing bumper is not correct either. I think Dad has recently bought an identical model, but more original so I shall post up a comparison as soon as I can.

The 6 wheeler does not appear to have a wooden float.

A couple more here now too  :)

Managed to find a boxed farm lorry this weekend, and a light blue version too.

;D

post-2-132639135741_thumb.jpg

post-2-132639135768_thumb.jpg

I think it most certainly is a repaint. I think it cost £20 so we are pleased! The missing bumper is not correct either. I think Dad has recently bought an identical model, but more original so I shall post up a comparison as soon as I can.

The 6 wheeler does not appear to have a wooden float.

A couple more here now too  :)

Managed to find a boxed farm lorry this weekend, and a light blue version too.

;D

Does it have a wooden base to the float? not the whole thing ;)

Like the six wheeler, have one of those in the E27N blue with skinny tread tyres and the float with wooden base. What type of float has this got?

Is that a post war cabbed one?  I haven't seen many of the lorries, but all the post war cabbed ones I have seen have the all metal tipper body (which is the same as used for the Two Wheeled Trailer (9550), which was first produced in 1949.  The Lorry was introduced the previous year, so perhaps they used the same moulding as the pre war one for the first year or so?

thats quite an impressive collection of lorries you are building up Andy  :)

Is that a post war cabbed one?   I haven't seen many of the lorries, but all the post war cabbed ones I have seen have the all metal tipper body (which is the same as used for the Two Wheeled Trailer (9550), which was first produced in 1949.  The Lorry was introduced the previous year, so perhaps they used the same moulding as the pre war one for the first year or so?

thats quite an impressive collection of lorries you are building up Andy  :)

Certainly is ploughmaster

IMG_20090803_5146.jpg

This one shows the gap between bed and side rails, just

IMG_20090803_5148.jpg

My personal favorite. I think it may have been own by a boy living on a farm in, possibly, Scotland, there is also a registration number, BFS 14, and brake/side lights painted on which adds to the charm I think

IMG_20090803_5149.jpg

Both very nice!

6 months ago I was not aware of so many different colour variations so has really ignited my search for further lorrys now to add to the collection.

That is always the story, Andy.  You think you have a really good collection and then a new variant turns up.  As I see it you have two options:-

Ignore colour variations and stay with just different marques

Go for all the colour variants AND the different marques  and then get a mortgage to cover the expense (plus a bigger house/shed/extension to house them!)

;D ;D

Oh well, it's only money plus the satisfaction of having a better collection than anyone else!  Happy Collecting!!!

As I see it you have two options:-

Ignore colour variations and stay with just different marques

I did that for several years, but the colour variations kind of creep up on you when you are not looking,  and before you know it, you have heaps of them  :D :D

• 3 weeks later...

Dad went on a spendng spree again last week and we now have a few more to show. Mostly military this time but a nice civilian ambulance is the pick of the bunch. Camera will be in action at the weekend!