1968 Rare Britains Beast Carrier.

powerrabbit

How many of these trailers do you see? This trailer is supposed to be one of the rarest trailers that Britain's produced. This is the 1st series trailer with the lying cow positioned in the centre made in 1968. There was a second series one made I beleive in 1970 and this one had the cow offset to one side.

I have in the past seen examples offered on Ebay both boxed and un-boxed and they seem to make megga money, several hundred quid for a boxed one. I suppose that not many examples survive because of their delicate and easily breakable structure, I have seen parts of them, mostly the staves above the sideboards, at toy fairs but never the whole thing. I found this one last year at the Westpoint fair, unfortunately un-boxed but at ?72 (after a long haggle) secured it for my collection. I do like the old Britain's stuff, much more character and I think, true to life.

Do you have one of these in your collection?

BritainsAnimalTrailer.jpg

How many of these trailers do you see? This trailer is supposed to be one of the rarest trailers that Britain's produced. This is the 1st series trailer with the lying cow positioned in the centre made in 1968. There was a second series one made I beleive in 1970 and this one had the cow offset to one side.

I have in the past seen examples offered on Ebay both boxed and un-boxed and they seem to make megga money, several hundred quid for a boxed one. I suppose that not many examples survive because of their delicate and easily breakable structure, I have seen parts of them, mostly the staves above the sideboards, at toy fairs but never the whole thing. I found this one last year at the Westpoint fair, unfortunately un-boxed but at ?72 (after a long haggle) secured it for my collection. I do like the old Britain's stuff, much more character and I think, true to life.

Do you have one of these in your collection?

BritainsAnimalTrailer.jpg

Was there ever such a thing really made? If so, how were they loaded?  ???

FarmerWill.

Yes this was actualy made. It could be used as an ordinary drop-side trailer as all the sides and tailboard are hinged, the top rails are slotted in as you can see from the pics. This pic shows you how the cow is loaded, the 'ramp' slots onto the tailboard. If you want any more pics tell me and I will add a few more.

Ramp.jpg

by catapult.... :D::)

they are rare and have seen them go for silly money on ebay, isnt that what the small green one was derived from :-\ :-\ :-\

This trailer is the fore-runner of the Britain's tipping silage trailers as it was scaled to the 10x6 Weeks and Martin Markham and Ferguson type trailers although this is a non-tipping trailer.

FarmerWill.

Yes this was actualy made. It could be used as an ordinary drop-side trailer as all the sides and tailboard are hinged, the top rails are slotted in as you can see from the pics. This pic shows you how the cow is loaded, the 'ramp' slots onto the tailboard. If you want any more pics tell me and I will add a few more.

Ramp.jpg

Cheers for that Powerrabbit, will have to try and research them. Cor, that wouldn't be a lot of fun if you got a wobble on at that height!  :o

i have one but its missing the upper open rack sides?? although i have the cow, strange thing is theres no hole in the center like others i have seen looks like the cow was stuck on some how?? any one know 

The cow that you have is the ordinary 'lying' cow. The cow for this trailer, as you correctly say, has a hole undrneath it's belly and fixes in the trailer on a peg that is part of the trailer bed moulding.

Funny you should say that your upper racks (and ramp?) is missing, Iv'e got 2 sets.

really genuin ones??? might be intrested at the right price

as for the cow, its deff an old one but theres not a hole in the floor, and its not been filled as you would see it ??

Look at the floor again. There should be a small peg sticking up either in the centre or to one side, it may have broke off, you may see a small 'ring' where it should have been. Iv'e also got 2 or 3 of the cows with the hole I think, have to have a look through my 2 4ltr icecream tubs of animals and check.

FW.

On the subject of researching this one, there was a comprehensive article on Britain's trailers in one of the 'Model & Site' magazines, last year I think, it pictured a lot of the trailers with dates and production run time, a mate of mine takes these and I will get hold of it an have a look.

Along with the cow alteration, the panels have also been seen in 3 different colours that I know of. The one you show in the pic, a light brown colour, and a dark grey colour.

I know of someone who has a couple of original tradeboxes of this model, deep up in their loft, a very good investment I would say!

Hello,

I have this one too, but only with a white floor, I got it ca. 1971 and played with it at my own childhood. It was ever one of my favourite models, to drive behind a Ford 5000 force or MF 135. I like it for the movable boards. Unfortunately the tailboard isn?t there, so I made one from metal. If there is one old tailboard in your collection, please offer. This version has a whole in the floor and the cow was at this floor with a screw. I have two cows with the whole more, one in black/white, the other brown/white. All three are dated 1970.

Because this trailer was always liked by me, I made a conversion last year, pics were at this forum.

For all fans from this trailer, I post the two pics.

I like it. Blueford 

post-163-132638576295_thumb.jpg

post-163-132638576299_thumb.jpg

Tractorman810.

If you can see where the original peg for the cow was, you can use a small drill and drill out a hole, not all the way and insert a peg the same colour and size as the original and fix it with a minute amount of superglue, any other glue will melt the plastic. You will find some grey plastic 'rod' for this somewhere I'm pretty sure.

Along with the cow alteration, the panels have also been seen in 3 different colours that I know of. The one you show in the pic, a light brown colour, and a dark grey colour.

I know of someone who has a couple of original tradeboxes of this model, deep up in their loft, a very good investment I would say! 

9568 first released in 1969  ::)

Which panels Andy? more info please

Bases or bed, if you prefer, come as light and dark grey including the tail ramp; drop sides in blue and cratch sides in brown plastic all on a red chassis with early landrover style wheels/tyres.

The only surviving part of my childhood one is a rolling chassis and the cow  :D , I didn't know they came as a friesian as well, mine being brown and white. As regards no hole in the bases of cows, they were released in 1959; hole added in 1969 and deleated/replaced in 1970  :)

I have 2 different boxed ones (ie the boxes are completely different but both well buried in the collection room to be able to compare!) and a complete unboxed one except that one of the sides' tongue tips is not fully formed to go down into the floor............ but not bad for ?6 about 3 yrs ago. ::);D ;D ;D8)

A mate of mine is bringing me the 'Farm & Site' mag with the article on Britain's trailers later on, I will see if I can scan or photograph the page with all the production dates and types on and post it here.

Watch this space.

I have a reproduction one which DT got for me it looks the same other than the peg that hold the cow it nice to add to my collection.

I dont think i would pay for a original one it seems a lot of money for one trailer.