creek fen farm

toyfarmer

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

hi guys next shed currently under construction, brick work panels between the steelwork, rsj's measure 10mm x 12mm made from wood strips 10mm wide and 2mm thick . still have a lot to do but just wondered what you think, not sure if rsj's are to thick

post-790-132638590276_thumb.jpg

Looks dab handy that does. One question, how did you glue the wood together and get it so straight. Oh, one more. . . how much did the wood cost. Looks like a damn good alternative to expensive Plastruct to me.

Looks dab handy that does. One question, how did you glue the wood together and get it so straight. Oh, one more. . . how much did the wood cost. Looks like a damn good alternative to expensive Plastruct to me.

[wood from ema model supplies costs about ?4.00 a pack and you get about 20 metres. to make them i first took 1 piece of 10mmx2mm and glued a piece of 5mmx2mm along the center , leave this to dry and its used as a jig when clamping rsj's together. to make rsj lay jig down with 5mmx2mm facing up, take a piece of 10mmx2mm and run wood glue along either edge and place flat on 5mmx2mm, this forms the center piece of rsj, position a piece of 10x2mm either side of the center piece to form sides of rsj.clamp sides together at each pressing center down firmly as you do.then add 3or4 more clampsalong length again keeping center pressed down as you clamp. when its clamped you can turn it over ease the jig out , ease each end first then work to the middlethen leave to dry. it took a few try's to get it right but once you do they don't take long to make.  :)

wood from ema model supplies costs about ?4.00 a pack and you get about 20 metres. to make them i first took 1 piece of 10mmx2mm and glued a piece of 5mmx2mm along the center , leave this to dry and its used as a jig when clamping rsj's together. to make rsj lay jig down with 5mmx2mm facing up, take a piece of 10mmx2mm and run wood glue along either edge and place flat on 5mmx2mm, this forms the center piece of rsj, position a piece of 10x2mm either side of the center piece to form sides of rsj.clamp sides together at each pressing center down firmly as you do.then add 3or4 more clampsalong length again keeping center pressed down as you clamp. when its clamped you can turn it over ease the jig out , ease each end first then work to the middlethen leave to dry. it took a few try's to get it right but once you do they don't take long to make.  :)

Well that's certainly a first :o :o :o

hi guys next shed currently under construction, brick work panels between the steelwork, rsj's measure 10mm x 12mm made from wood strips 10mm wide and 2mm thick . still have a lot to do but just wondered what you think, not sure if rsj's are to thick

not that big, i think i used HFS-10 (7.9mmx7.9mm) on the small shed and BFS-10 and BFS12 (7.9mmx4mm and  9.5mmx5.8mm) on the larger sheds. Portla sheds are usually made form UB's, size can range quite alot

Cheers for the thorugh answer, I may try this when I get round to making another 'steel' shed. Doing a wooden one at the moment. Looks like there are a few people knocking at your door for info/help. . . Hope we don't keep you from your building too long!!  :)

Where do you get the brick-work paper from? ???

brickwork paper from www.netmerchants.co.uk . i used ready mixed wallpaper adhesive to stick it to the wood :)             

• 2 months later...

Well Toy Farmer I dont mind telling ya what I think.I think that is cracking mate, super, and I like the nissanhut at the side.Have you got a pic of just the nissanhut, how many of them have I seen around your neck of the woods,Hundreds.

GGG

Well Toy Farmer I dont mind telling ya what I think.I think that is cracking mate, super, and I like the nissanhut at the side.Have you got a pic of just the nissanhut, how many of them have I seen around your neck of the woods,Hundreds.

GGG

Used to be a lot around here as my Great Grandpa used to buy them at ex-army sales straight after WW2 and put them in on farm's as a bit of extra income. That was in the late 40's and early 50's. :)