Britains Special Edition Landrover question.

Item no. 5946  Britains Special Edition Landrover.

What's "special" about it?

Were there a lot made?

Are they any more money than any of the others?

Thanks to anyone who can help.  :) I don't have a Landie yet.  ;)

I don't know about 5946 Adam but thats an odd number in the Britian's serial numbers. The only 5000 series I have is No 5986 which is a Forest Enterprise Landrover in a Rainbow box circa 1995 I think.

I have one...somewhere.  It was only available for a short period in 1994.  It wasn't shown in the catalogue.

As far as I can recall I think it was a colour variation on the standard Defender 90.  The only 'special' thing about it was the short period of being available in the shops.

They did do a limited eidtion REAL landy in that colour... I thunk they did a V8 option with that one... it had a funny name.... blowed if I can remember it now... but I've been in one as well... V8 Auto... quite a beast

It has a light coloured grill as well  :-\

They did do a limited eidtion REAL landy in that colour... I thunk they did a V8 option with that one... it had a funny name.... blowed if I can remember it now... but I've been in one as well... V8 Auto... quite a beast

It has a light coloured grill as well  :-\

really mate?? i thought i read somewhere that they didnt do a auto box, until the first tomb raider film where the makers commissioned them to, as miss jollie couldnt drive a manula 

I have had a look in the Peter Baron book "Toy tractors from Britains" and in his list of special issues 5946 is described as a standard version of the Defender 90 in metallic green and 4x4 badging and was issued in 1994 in the UK. The base number of the model was 9507

V8 Auto, light grill? (silver?) are you not on about the 50th Anniversary model from '98?

I thought the 50th was in a blue(ish) colour... I am sure it had a a funny name... I'll "phone a friend" later today... SOmething in my head tells me it was a "royal" sounding name  :-\

the 50 th edtion was in blue and a v8 auto the one with the diffrent grill was a heritage td5 manual  in a lime green colour   :o

some pics of the heritage td5  :o

here's the link for some bigger pics just go down the page a bit

http://www.landrovercentre.com/stock/interesting_vehicles.htm

Thats the one I was thinking of.. thanks Simon...

and it's nothing like it  :-[

Told you it was a royal name  :D :D :D - we'll... it's a bit royally  :-[

I was thinking of the 50th V8 and confusing the grill from the heritage - the V8 can look pretty green depending on the light

The heritage wasn't only lime green

thumb.php3?d=pics&i=h03heritage90&w=640

Still, the puzzler is that the above model was from 1994, so not a 50th nor a Heritage.

I'm going to go with the Defenders introduction to the U.S market

Like the Aussies say,

You go can into the outback in a Landrover, but if you want to come out alive, you take a Toyota !!

I can relate to a couple of real life stories about Landy's and Cruisers and both vehicles are good in their own right.

Story 1

A friend of my father has a croft in the countryside where he collects ferguson tractors mainly the "grey menances". One was on loan to a local musuem and one night when we were there the musuem curator took it back on a trailer pulled by a clapped out looking Series 11 (I think) Landrover. In order for the Landy to get to where the tractor was being off loaded my fathers friend (Bill) had to shift his 4.2 litre automatic Toyota Landcruiser up a round a steep hill in the field adjacent to the shed. Well that big beast with wide road tyres just roared and skidded about but eventually managed to climb the hill just. The old Landy came round the corner and walked up the hill with it narrow tyres with ease and no effort. Well you can image Bill was a bit upset and had to say something " well he had weight on his tail to give him traction" One nil to the Landy at this stage.

Story 2

One evening the same said Crusier driver took my father and myself to see his brother in law fishing his salmon nets close to Aberdeen Harbour. When we got to the bothy ( 6 salmon fishers used this in years gone by - they had 2 x 3 storey high bunk beds) Raymond who only does this a a hobby part time job was already away down in the beach with his 6 cylinder Fordson major conversion. We proceeded down the steep sand dune hill road in pursuit of Raymond. I did say on the way down to Bill but how are we going to get back up?? He said that Raymond would pull him back with the tractor if he got stuck. We spent an hour or so fishing the nets and I was amazed as we waded in the North Sea how warm it actually was. Raymond advised it was because there was now a lot of cloud cover and that was holding the heat in!!! It was a good night for Raymond about 20 odd salmon. He said we should come more often!! Well time to go home.Bill speed along the beach at what seemed 50 to 60 mph before hitting the hill. We were tossing from side to side but low and behold the cruiser climbed that hill. I only wish I had had a steering wheel to hold onto. I think Bill was rather happy with himself proving the point that crusiers can climb hill!!!

One all betwen The crusier and the landy.

Like the Aussies say,

You go can into the outback in a Landrover, but if you want to come out alive, you take a Toyota !!

Couldnt agree with u anymore u said it all if it Aint a Toyota its nothing

cheers

Reece

there's only one vehicle i'd ever put up against a 90 & that would have to be a daihatsu fourtrac :)

Very true Marcus, I replaced my Fourtrak with a 90, I can't think of any other vehicle I'd rather have than one or the other of them :)

there's only one vehicle i'd ever put up against a 90 & that would have to be a daihatsu fourtrac :)

Very true Marcus, I replaced my Fourtrak with a 90, I can't think of any other vehicle I'd rather have than one or the other of them :)

That's because a Fourtrac is basically a Land Cruiser, same engine any way. There's no way you can compare those 4l automatic VXs to the ordinary Cruiser since they're petrol, have an auto box and weigh a lot more. Plus any vehicle with narrow tyres is going to climb better than one with wide tyres because they will give more 'bite'